X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I think the biggest drawback to BSA (I do not recall any Parker-Hale guns) is they only came in "normal" calibres, nothing exotic. And exotic was (and still is it seems) all the rage in America.
    Exotic? Do you mean anything other than the .30-06, .30-30, and .270?

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Parker-Hale stirred some interest back in the '60's and '70's as a low cost import. They never really caught on and eventually went out of business. I looked at them but decided to buy American. I think the Company making air rifles was a mark against their center fire rifles, kinda a mind thing.
    During that time frame it seems they were mostly involved in reconditioning military rifles into sporting guns, and their accessories/gear end was fairly successful. The company was located next to BSA in Birmingham which also produced top shelf reconditioned rifles during that time period. I vividly remember the beautiful BSA guns in our shop back in the early 1970s. French walnut, dark shiny bluing, rosewood fore end and pistol grip caps. Very nice guns and very good price but they didn't move well. We could never figure it out. I think the biggest drawback to BSA (I do not recall any Parker-Hale guns) is they only came in "normal" calibres, nothing exotic. And exotic was (and still is it seems) all the rage in America. The gun market was drying up in Europe and competition was fierce. Parker-Hale and BSA needed to either be more innovative (gimmick guns) or make cheap junk to compete with the American cheap junk of the seventies. Either choice required significant investment that Parker-Hale didn't have so they were sold, eventually winding up under Navy Arms. They sorta still live on as Gibbs Rifle Company making renovated/reconditioned military and historic firearms. Apparently Gibbs is a big supplier for movie prop guns.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    My first PH was a trade and proved to be a very worthy piece. Young and intelligent, I swapped it for a brand new one about 1977. That one has also proven to be quite accurate and dependable.
    Mine is a "sporterized" FN Mauser.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I am looking forward to my African adventures ... but I can pass on THAT kind of adventure! I don't believe there are any lions where I'm hunting ... that aren't in a pen waiting for slob "hunters" with big bucks and no ethics. Saw quite a scandalous documentary a while back about this very big and dirty business in South Africa. It was a hidden camera thing with journalist pretending to be a prospective client. The lions are raised from cubs to maturity in cages or small pens so some jerk can pay big, big bucks to shoot them through the wire; Really disgusting. The "outfitters" were the definition of white trash. Ugh! Very few leopards in the area I will be hunting. I can pass on seeing one of them too unless it is at least two hundred yards from me. I understand seeing one at that distance would be extremely rare. I'm fine with that too. Not a coward ... just have better things to do than dance with Mr. Spots and wind up in a backcountry hospital.
    Parker-Hale stirred some interest back in the '60's and '70's as a low cost import. They never really caught on and eventually went out of business. I looked at them but decided to buy American. I think the Company making air rifles was a mark against their center fire rifles, kinda a mind thing.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
    Forgive me if this is a repetition. Once in Zambia my government scout had a battered old Parker Hale 06, the sights, both front and back long gone. I exclaimed, “ ah, a Parker Hale!’’. He drew himself up and politely but proudly scolded me, “ no sir, this is an English rifle! “ He, loved that firearm. He was a true gentleman, intelligent and fair minded. We had to take on a poor lioness who had lost a paw in a poachers snare. I dropped her at a few feet and he stood firmly and bravely by my side. Sightless rifle at the ready. I asked why he did not fire, he shrugged and indicated I was doing fine. One of the great people
    I am looking forward to my African adventures ... but I can pass on THAT kind of adventure! I don't believe there are any lions where I'm hunting ... that aren't in a pen waiting for slob "hunters" with big bucks and no ethics. Saw quite a scandalous documentary a while back about this very big and dirty business in South Africa. It was a hidden camera thing with journalist pretending to be a prospective client. The lions are raised from cubs to maturity in cages or small pens so some jerk can pay big, big bucks to shoot them through the wire; Really disgusting. The "outfitters" were the definition of white trash. Ugh! Very few leopards in the area I will be hunting. I can pass on seeing one of them too unless it is at least two hundred yards from me. I understand seeing one at that distance would be extremely rare. I'm fine with that too. Not a coward ... just have better things to do than dance with Mr. Spots and wind up in a backcountry hospital.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Forgive me if this is a repetition. Once in Zambia my government scout had a battered old Parker Hale 06, the sights, both front and back long gone. I exclaimed, “ ah, a Parker Hale!’’. He drew himself up and politely but proudly scolded me, “ no sir, this is an English rifle! “ He, loved that firearm. He was a true gentleman, intelligent and fair minded. We had to take on a poor lioness who had lost a paw in a poachers snare. I dropped her at a few feet and he stood firmly and bravely by my side. Sightless rifle at the ready. I asked why he did not fire, he shrugged and indicated I was doing fine. One of the great people

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied

I was at a gun show Sunday and saw a PH .270, I mistook it for a Weatherby at first due to the stock. Was thinking of you after I read the tag. Didn't check it over too much as I was already tempted by four other rifles I don't, ahem, need. Came home with zip.[/QUOTE]

In Colorado one year, we were talking to another hunter who had laid his PH on the hood of his truck.
    "Nice PH!", I said.
    "No, that's a Wby.", he replied.
    I let the conversation drone on a minute and told him again it was a PH and showed him the one I was carrying.
    With a puzzled look on his face, he picked up the rifle and looked. Sure enough, he had picked up his PH 7mmRM instead of his Wby .300 Wby leaving camp.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    Most accurate?
    PH bolt .270 Win and a Ruger No.1 .270 Win.
    The Parker-Hale can literally dot 'i"'s with Sierra 90 HP at around 3600fps
    The No.1 prefers Sierra 130 gr Sierra BTSP at around 2800/2900 fps and "can" shoot cloverleaf patterns.
    That's what the rifles are capable of!
    In my hands anymore, they will both put lead pills into kill zones on any whitetail at 200 yards.

This year, it will have to be the Ruger because if I shoot anything, it will have to be left handed.
    The No.1 is THE ambidextrous rifle of the day!
    I was at a gun show Sunday and saw a PH .270, I mistook it for a Weatherby at first due to the stock. Was thinking of you after I read the tag. Didn't check it over too much as I was already tempted by four other rifles I don't, ahem, need. Came home with zip.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Most accurate?
    PH bolt .270 Win and a Ruger No.1 .270 Win.
    The Parker-Hale can literally dot 'i"'s with Sierra 90 HP at around 3600fps
    The No.1 prefers Sierra 130 gr Sierra BTSP at around 2800/2900 fps and "can" shoot cloverleaf patterns.
    That's what the rifles are capable of!
    In my hands anymore, they will both put lead pills into kill zones on any whitetail at 200 yards.

This year, it will have to be the Ruger because if I shoot anything, it will have to be left handed.
    The No.1 is THE ambidextrous rifle of the day!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I have been thinking about my #2 most accurate rifle and have picked my .300WbyMag Weatherby Mk V. I have not shot it as much as several of my others, probably 700 or so rounds but the more I shoot it the better it gets. I reload for it with IMR4350 (I have tried them all) and the rifle never stops amazing me. It will consistently shoot from a cold barrel a ragged three shot group at 100yds.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied

My two most accurate rifles are a carefully guarded secret. They are so accurate it is obligatory to fire at least one advance round into the air as a warning to my quarry to meet my standards of fair chase.
    Seriously, I am satisfied and relieved when I have good group where I want it. I have good days and bad ones. Interestingly, I am a confident shot, yet do not feel I am a great one. Yet my big game seems to go down and guides and professional hunters sing and praise me. Probably because I am a good tipper.
    my most accurate are a 22-250 by Remington Custom Shop, a 300 Win Mag by Seely Masker, and a 416 Rigby by Griffin and Howe. All three continue to surprise me.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Like to shoot this weekend. Did not this past one. Went to doc today....allergies have really slammed me. My luck....theyll mow the club range before I get there LOL

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Ive had to thread the needle a couple of times on deer. Accurate rigs....I knew the shot would connect. They did

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    In years gone by, I used to be an accuracy nut, a bench rest fanatic. But to be brutally honest about it, if a bullet strikes within two or three inches of the point of aim, that's good enough for any but the smallest critters.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I have two rifles, both 30-06 and both inherited from my dad. I don't know if the 760 pump is any more or less accurate than the sporterized Springfield. Don't spend enough time at the range to compare them. They will hit a deer or elk (or kudu?) in the boiler room at 100 yards or less and that's good enough for me.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Many Died
    by CD2
    Drug addicts are like drowning people.
    They will probably pull you under if you get close to try and save them.
    They are pulling society down...
    Today, 02:38 AM
  • How Many Died
    by jhjimbo
    On Tucker Carlson last night he said 750,000 died from Opioid overdose in a ten year period. More then WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, combined.
    01-16-2020, 11:04 AM
  • Reply to How Many Died
    by CD2
    You are right, back in the day, 30 yrs or so ago, a guy could be a bit of a dumbarse and clean himself up, get a factory job or education and be civilized/normal....
    Today, 02:36 AM
  • Reply to How Many Died
    by CD2
    Kids today, most of them, have way over inflated egos.
    Mommy and daddy have told them they're special, when they aren't.
    Social media warps...
    Today, 02:22 AM
  • Reply to How Many Died
    by CD2
    Blue collar town.
    Urbans and hillbillies (democrats).
    There are some good kids.
    But the public school system has mostly liberal teachers/admins...
    Today, 02:18 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X