How Good Does It Get ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most accurate?
    PH bolt .270 Win and a Ruger No.1 .270 Win.
    The Parker-Hale can literally dot 'i"'s with Sierra 90 HP at around 3600fps
    The No.1 prefers Sierra 130 gr Sierra BTSP at around 2800/2900 fps and "can" shoot cloverleaf patterns.
    That's what the rifles are capable of!
    In my hands anymore, they will both put lead pills into kill zones on any whitetail at 200 yards.

This year, it will have to be the Ruger because if I shoot anything, it will have to be left handed.
    The No.1 is THE ambidextrous rifle of the day!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      Most accurate?
      PH bolt .270 Win and a Ruger No.1 .270 Win.
      The Parker-Hale can literally dot 'i"'s with Sierra 90 HP at around 3600fps
      The No.1 prefers Sierra 130 gr Sierra BTSP at around 2800/2900 fps and "can" shoot cloverleaf patterns.
      That's what the rifles are capable of!
      In my hands anymore, they will both put lead pills into kill zones on any whitetail at 200 yards.

This year, it will have to be the Ruger because if I shoot anything, it will have to be left handed.
      The No.1 is THE ambidextrous rifle of the day!
      I was at a gun show Sunday and saw a PH .270, I mistook it for a Weatherby at first due to the stock. Was thinking of you after I read the tag. Didn't check it over too much as I was already tempted by four other rifles I don't, ahem, need. Came home with zip.

Comment

I was at a gun show Sunday and saw a PH .270, I mistook it for a Weatherby at first due to the stock. Was thinking of you after I read the tag. Didn't check it over too much as I was already tempted by four other rifles I don't, ahem, need. Came home with zip.[/QUOTE]

In Colorado one year, we were talking to another hunter who had laid his PH on the hood of his truck.
        "Nice PH!", I said.
        "No, that's a Wby.", he replied.
        I let the conversation drone on a minute and told him again it was a PH and showed him the one I was carrying.
        With a puzzled look on his face, he picked up the rifle and looked. Sure enough, he had picked up his PH 7mmRM instead of his Wby .300 Wby leaving camp.

Comment

Forgive me if this is a repetition. Once in Zambia my government scout had a battered old Parker Hale 06, the sights, both front and back long gone. I exclaimed, “ ah, a Parker Hale!’’. He drew himself up and politely but proudly scolded me, “ no sir, this is an English rifle! “ He, loved that firearm. He was a true gentleman, intelligent and fair minded. We had to take on a poor lioness who had lost a paw in a poachers snare. I dropped her at a few feet and he stood firmly and bravely by my side. Sightless rifle at the ready. I asked why he did not fire, he shrugged and indicated I was doing fine. One of the great people

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
            Forgive me if this is a repetition. Once in Zambia my government scout had a battered old Parker Hale 06, the sights, both front and back long gone. I exclaimed, “ ah, a Parker Hale!’’. He drew himself up and politely but proudly scolded me, “ no sir, this is an English rifle! “ He, loved that firearm. He was a true gentleman, intelligent and fair minded. We had to take on a poor lioness who had lost a paw in a poachers snare. I dropped her at a few feet and he stood firmly and bravely by my side. Sightless rifle at the ready. I asked why he did not fire, he shrugged and indicated I was doing fine. One of the great people
            I am looking forward to my African adventures ... but I can pass on THAT kind of adventure! I don't believe there are any lions where I'm hunting ... that aren't in a pen waiting for slob "hunters" with big bucks and no ethics. Saw quite a scandalous documentary a while back about this very big and dirty business in South Africa. It was a hidden camera thing with journalist pretending to be a prospective client. The lions are raised from cubs to maturity in cages or small pens so some jerk can pay big, big bucks to shoot them through the wire; Really disgusting. The "outfitters" were the definition of white trash. Ugh! Very few leopards in the area I will be hunting. I can pass on seeing one of them too unless it is at least two hundred yards from me. I understand seeing one at that distance would be extremely rare. I'm fine with that too. Not a coward ... just have better things to do than dance with Mr. Spots and wind up in a backcountry hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I am looking forward to my African adventures ... but I can pass on THAT kind of adventure! I don't believe there are any lions where I'm hunting ... that aren't in a pen waiting for slob "hunters" with big bucks and no ethics. Saw quite a scandalous documentary a while back about this very big and dirty business in South Africa. It was a hidden camera thing with journalist pretending to be a prospective client. The lions are raised from cubs to maturity in cages or small pens so some jerk can pay big, big bucks to shoot them through the wire; Really disgusting. The "outfitters" were the definition of white trash. Ugh! Very few leopards in the area I will be hunting. I can pass on seeing one of them too unless it is at least two hundred yards from me. I understand seeing one at that distance would be extremely rare. I'm fine with that too. Not a coward ... just have better things to do than dance with Mr. Spots and wind up in a backcountry hospital.
              Parker-Hale stirred some interest back in the '60's and '70's as a low cost import. They never really caught on and eventually went out of business. I looked at them but decided to buy American. I think the Company making air rifles was a mark against their center fire rifles, kinda a mind thing.

Comment

My first PH was a trade and proved to be a very worthy piece. Young and intelligent, I swapped it for a brand new one about 1977. That one has also proven to be quite accurate and dependable.
                Mine is a "sporterized" FN Mauser.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Parker-Hale stirred some interest back in the '60's and '70's as a low cost import. They never really caught on and eventually went out of business. I looked at them but decided to buy American. I think the Company making air rifles was a mark against their center fire rifles, kinda a mind thing.
                  During that time frame it seems they were mostly involved in reconditioning military rifles into sporting guns, and their accessories/gear end was fairly successful. The company was located next to BSA in Birmingham which also produced top shelf reconditioned rifles during that time period. I vividly remember the beautiful BSA guns in our shop back in the early 1970s. French walnut, dark shiny bluing, rosewood fore end and pistol grip caps. Very nice guns and very good price but they didn't move well. We could never figure it out. I think the biggest drawback to BSA (I do not recall any Parker-Hale guns) is they only came in "normal" calibres, nothing exotic. And exotic was (and still is it seems) all the rage in America. The gun market was drying up in Europe and competition was fierce. Parker-Hale and BSA needed to either be more innovative (gimmick guns) or make cheap junk to compete with the American cheap junk of the seventies. Either choice required significant investment that Parker-Hale didn't have so they were sold, eventually winding up under Navy Arms. They sorta still live on as Gibbs Rifle Company making renovated/reconditioned military and historic firearms. Apparently Gibbs is a big supplier for movie prop guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I think the biggest drawback to BSA (I do not recall any Parker-Hale guns) is they only came in "normal" calibres, nothing exotic. And exotic was (and still is it seems) all the rage in America.
                    Exotic? Do you mean anything other than the .30-06, .30-30, and .270?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
                      by PigHunter
                      Maybe they are trying to create the ultimate soldier...
                      Today, 09:01 AM
                    • Are You Ready For This ?
                      by jhjimbo
                      An American Scientist financed by Spain has gone to China to create an ape-human by combining a human embryo with a primate. I don't know why he had...
                      Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                    • Reply to Increasing Security
                      by PigHunter
                      Jimbo, here's the 12 leading causes of death in the USA. Carrying that gun may make you feel better but you'll more likely increase your chances for living...
                      Today, 08:52 AM
                    • Increasing Security
                      by jhjimbo
                      I have been carrying more lately, much more aware of the surroundings, especially in large, crowded places. I do go to a few Flea Markets that usually...
                      08-14-2019, 05:41 AM
                    • Reply to Increasing Security
                      by jhjimbo
                      Why was he cremated before an autopsy ?? Very disturbing....
                      Today, 08:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X