How Good Does It Get ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good Does It Get ?

What are your two (2) most accurate rifles ? Make, model, cal., ammo/ load and performance at 100yds. Center fire or rimfire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	300 weatherby 001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	712227 My top rifle is a Remington 700 varmint 22-250. My reloads are Sierra 52gr. HPBTMatch and IMR4320 powder. It shoots one ragged hole at 100yds. Groundhogs never know what hit them.

Number 2 I will have to think about.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-13-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I go for precision at long range and with these big VLD bullets, a .3" group at 100 yards is fine because I know the bullet is still yawing and spiraling from the muzzle blast rocking the big boat tail. Almost all my rifles do that at least. Most of my custom rifles have heavy Bartlein 5R barrels and they are all capable of shooting .1" to .2" five shot groups with target bullets. They are all capable of around 3.5" five shot groups at 1000 yards with an even tighter group every once in a while.

My most accurate factory rifle is a Rem 700 Sendero at about .25" at 100 yards shooting 100g Hornady Interlocks at 3350 fps using IMR4831.

My two most accurate precision rifles are:

300 Dakota on Mauser action with a heavy Lothar Walther barrel. It shoots in the .0 and .1" at 100 with 110g Sierra target bullets and around 3" groups at 1000 yards with 215g Berger Hybrid bullets, both with IMR4831

6mm Creedmoor on trued Rem 700 action with Bartlein 5R barrel shooting in the .1s at 100 yards with 62.4g Berger target bullets and around 3.25" at 1000 yards shooting Berger 105g Hybrid bullets over IMR4350.

Comment

I've had a couple .5 or smaller .243's w handloads (70 gr Nosler BT).
        Had a #1B that was as good w 75gr Speers.
        Have yet to mess w the Steyr Pro Hunter. Only tried one factory load and not a premium one.
        It's a deer rifle so an inch or less is plenty.
        Have about 4# of 4350 to mess with.

Comment

I might take my .35 rem 760 this deer season.
          Not sub MOA. Don't care.
          Big boy trots through the creekbottom Ima gonna smoke him.
          Maybe put more than one through his boiler room too.

Comment

I’m the weak link so I have no idea......

Comment

My marksmanship is passable and my rifles are capable of better accuracy than I can shoot. The most accurate is a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor as configured from the factory with no modifications. Right now it has a Nikon Prostaff 5 scope with BDC 3.5-14x40. For hunting cartridges, I use Hornady Presicion Hunter factory loads with the 143gr ELD-X bullet. I'm getting about 0.5 MOA.

Another accurate one is my Handi-Rifle in .45-70 sporting a Leupold Rifleman scope, 3-9x40. The only modification is a slip-on Limbsaver recoil pad. With that rifle, I can put 3 shots touching at 100 yards with Hornady LEVERevolution factory loads using the 325gr FTX bullet. Note the ballistic chart taped to the stock.

Name:	Sow and 6.5 Creedmoor.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	712240

Name:	2018_12_24 Sullivan Left.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	712241
              Last edited by PigHunter; 08-13-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I did this 5/16" with my 700 in 7-08 a few years back but it's been bested twice since. Both times by 6.5 cm's.( both chassis style) Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1178.PNG Views:	13 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	712194Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1200.JPG Views:	13 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	712196 I don't own any more .22 centerfires. My CZ 17hm2 is crazy accurate but I don't have any targets to post. I can cover 5 shots with a penny, 1/2 the time with a dime.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by dewman; 08-12-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

My best group of the year was around 3.5" @ 100 yards. That is about as good as I can do, currently or in the past.

I shot it from low ready to sitting, supported by shooting sling (Ching Sling) in a little more than 3 seconds. If I could do this every time, on demand, I would consider myself a VGS (Very Good Shot). I cannot.

The rifle is a Steyr Scout in 308. The last time I shot it off the bench, which was last year I believe, the rifle and ammo shot into an inch; but it of course shoots to a slightly different POI than when shot normally and slung.

Comment

I have two rifles, both 30-06 and both inherited from my dad. I don't know if the 760 pump is any more or less accurate than the sporterized Springfield. Don't spend enough time at the range to compare them. They will hit a deer or elk (or kudu?) in the boiler room at 100 yards or less and that's good enough for me.

Comment

In years gone by, I used to be an accuracy nut, a bench rest fanatic. But to be brutally honest about it, if a bullet strikes within two or three inches of the point of aim, that's good enough for any but the smallest critters.

Comment

Ive had to thread the needle a couple of times on deer. Accurate rigs....I knew the shot would connect. They did

Comment

Like to shoot this weekend. Did not this past one. Went to doc today....allergies have really slammed me. My luck....theyll mow the club range before I get there LOL

Comment

My two most accurate rifles are a carefully guarded secret. They are so accurate it is obligatory to fire at least one advance round into the air as a warning to my quarry to meet my standards of fair chase.
                            Seriously, I am satisfied and relieved when I have good group where I want it. I have good days and bad ones. Interestingly, I am a confident shot, yet do not feel I am a great one. Yet my big game seems to go down and guides and professional hunters sing and praise me. Probably because I am a good tipper.
                            my most accurate are a 22-250 by Remington Custom Shop, a 300 Win Mag by Seely Masker, and a 416 Rigby by Griffin and Howe. All three continue to surprise me.

Comment

I have been thinking about my #2 most accurate rifle and have picked my .300WbyMag Weatherby Mk V. I have not shot it as much as several of my others, probably 700 or so rounds but the more I shoot it the better it gets. I reload for it with IMR4350 (I have tried them all) and the rifle never stops amazing me. It will consistently shoot from a cold barrel a ragged three shot group at 100yds.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad