How Do You Shoot ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Shoot ?

Do you shoot on your own property ? Rifle Handgun, Archery ? Yds available ? Do you belong to an organized Club with a range ?
    How long does it take you to get to the range? Yds available ? Cost/year? Does the Club conduct various matches ? Tell us about your situation. Any pictures?

I have a camp where I can shoot on a unstructured range and also have a State range a couple miles away. I also belong to an organized Club with all the 4 season amenities plus a campground. They put on matches every weekend and some during the week. Also teams travel to other Clubs and Camp Perry for larger matches. Takes me about 40min to get to the Club. The Club is a 8 hour work party/ yr or you can by the 8 hours for $200. The camping is $225/ half and includes electric.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-10-2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

For most of my adult life, I had my own land to hunt and shoot on, including a permanent pistol range.
      Now retired in the suburbs, I shoot at a private club range ($90 per year for senior citizens).

Comment

We can shoot rimfire, handgun and archery pretty much right in the back yard. Archery about as far as you want to shoot, rimfire out to 50 yards or so. We don’t shoot the centerfires there because of proximity to the neighbors. We’d be just legal but the noise is too much. On our hill I have a flat hundred yard set up with a back stop bank we use for the centerfires. I just posted about a range trip that we used to shoot out to 300. We also belong to a club in town that has just a 50’ indoor range and shoot a Sporterifle league there. Can shoot handguns there as well.
        There’s a bigger club about 25 miles away I should join as I teach Hunters Ed there at least once a year. They have 100 & 200 yard range, 50’ indoor range, 5 Stand, Trap & Skeet setups.

Comment

Conservation has this range in the middle of public land off county road 708 near Zalma. When there's a group of us we sight in there and if you want the group record for tightest group and your target put on the wall of fame in the barn you have to do it here. I have a bench at my house and a table on the balcony deck I shoot off and sometimes hunt off of. For shotguns and really long distance I have several farms available. This is at Zalma. 4 tables each at 25,50,&100 yds. With a bathroom and handicapped parking. No shotgunsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1540.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	712084

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            Conservation has this range in the middle of public land off county road 708 near Zalma. When there's a group of us we sight in there and if you want the group record for tightest group and your target put on the wall of fame in the barn you have to do it here. I have a bench at my house and a table on the balcony deck I shoot off and sometimes hunt off of. For shotguns and really long distance I have several farms available. This is at Zalma. 4 tables each at 25,50,&100 yds. With a bathroom and handicapped parking. No shotgunsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1540.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	712084
            Those benches don’t wiggle!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

The seats do pivot to the other side for lefties but yes those are concrete slabs. A little toasty this time of year😉

Comment

How do I shoot? Ok for an old man. These days pretty much I only use various rifles. Occasionally, a bIt of bird hunting with a beautiful, old Browning over and under in 12 gauge.
                My rifle range is an old one for Southern California, because it is an inholding on US Forest Service Land preventing it from being engulfed by housing development which has been the nemesis of most Los Angeles area gun ranges. Such facilities get little sympathy from L.A. politicians. I have no idea what the daily fee is as I have been a shareholder for fifty years and therefore shoot for free. I only shoot early morning weekdays because weekends are a nightmare, the various ranges, shotgun, rifle, pistol, are flooded with 100s, yes 100s, of customers.
                The clientele has changed drastically in type as well as quantity. During the old days there were bench rest competitors, amateur big game hunters sighting in Springfield’s with Bishop stocks, WinM70s, and Remingtons mostly bolt action, mostly 06 cartridge. Things reasonably calm. On the far right a designated ten benches for founders and friends. Alex Kerr and Dr Karl Morgan might be giving pointers to the likes of Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart or Bob Stack. Rifle quality at that end took your breath away. Even saw Jack OConnor once. In those days, big game hunters were respected, even in Hollywood. Nowadays, customers are loaded down with huge amounts of ammo and Armalite type semiautos. Firing 100s of rounds at 25, 50, and 100 yard targets until ankle deep in empty cases. Yesterday, next to me,were two 50 cal sniper rifles super heavy with ten inch muzzle brakes. The ground shook when they went off. My marbled walnut stocked rifles looked pretty timid next to them. Times have certainly changed, I have no idea for better or for worse, just changed. I just have not.........
                the range is 21 miles from home
                Last edited by Happy Myles; 08-10-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Fitch270: Did you ever show us any pictures of your finished rigs? I enjoy the pics everyone posts of their rigs and how they set them up. Sometimes gives me ideas and food for thought.

Comment

I can shoot to about 25 yards w bow in back yard.
                    My old house had a 40 yard range.........downtown (victorian housing area).
                    40 was from the sidewalk out front, had shed for backstop.
                    People would honk, try to make me mess up.
                    Cops never said a thing.

Used to have a sportsman's club not far from work, just outside of town. 10 min drive from home.
                    Shot there on lunch hr, after work, weekends...........dang near lived there before I got married.
                    Kids and ol lady fished there. Good memories.

But they forgot their charter, turned into a sporting clays type of club. Did not maintain property as I thought, fees went up........so I said screw em. Was member and on board, for about 20 yrs.
                    Done.

So for gun I shoot at a private club 40 min drive one way. 25,50,75 and 100 yds.
                    200 I can drive the other direction and go to state range.
                    Or a shop w a range...........that goes to 700.
                    Think 15 bucks they charge for all day.

Did have private range 5 mins from house, but buddy put in a pond. LOL.

I refuse to shoot indoors, LGS has indoor range. I prefer to go to my private club in the morning, like on a Monday ..........when nobody there. Safer.

Comment

I live on 80 acres. Nearest neighbor is a over a mile away.
                      I just built a new bench I can shoot out to 400 yards....but I don't. Two hundred is about my limit.
                      Not the guns limit, "my" limit.
                      Handgun range right out the back door.
                      I can literally hunt dove in the front yard.
                      I keep shotgun, .22LR rifle and handgun and a .223 available at all times.

After this shoulder surgery, I won't be shooting ANYTHING for about 6 months!

Comment

I used to shoot bow, indoors or outdoors, 3 or more times a week.
                        Gun at least once a week. For decades.
                        Not saying it made me good.
                        But it made me consistent, enough to set sights for it LOL
                        I grew up shooting a fair bit so it was just natural.
                        Now I shoot once a month tops.
                        But then, I don't need to.
                        Pretty much just check zero before season and am good.

But with the new 9mm, it's going to take some work.
                        My other handguns, rifles.........like riding a bike.

Am willing to spend the time and $ to get the HK working for me.
                        Or I would not have bought it.

Think it's gonna need some Grayguns parts though.

Monday's Steyr and HK fun fest at club ruined, got a dr appointment.
                        Maybe run over tomorrow instead.

Let the ol lady shoot it maybe.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0C860890-56DE-4368-8459-94597517E354.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	712098
                          Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          Fitch270: Did you ever show us any pictures of your finished rigs? I enjoy the pics everyone posts of their rigs and how they set them up. Sometimes gives me ideas and food for thought.
                          From last year after we picked up the Rem 700 Mtn Rifle (Second one down) If you recall I posted that gun the day we brought it home in a Boyd’s laminate. In this pic it’s in a Hogue that came with it also. Both those stocks were sporter contours and heavy. I bought a B&C Mountian Ti for it last fall between the youth season and regular deer. It had that stock for his second deer
                          Attached Files

Comment

This phone has been giving me trouble last couple days........

Anyway, the top rifle is my Rem 700 BDL .270 now in a Greyboe Outlander stock. Both 700’s wear Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40s, mine in Talley Lightweights and the boy’s 7-08 in standard Leupolds. I may switch his to Talley’s as well, it would get the gun just under 8#s scoped. Both have Montana Slings as well.

Bench is just a plywood top on 4x4 legs cross braced with 2x6’s. All pressure treated scraps.

Comment

This is his 700 in it's current configuration
                              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad