July 17, 100 deg right around the corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 17, 100 deg right around the corner

Are you changing your routine for the higher temps we may be getting ? I understand some States are moving season dates back to adjust for the heat. Not long ago I was hunting ML in Dec in a T-shirt.

jimbo, in southern OK in July, August and early Sept, 100+ temps are SOP.

In 2011, we had 89 days of 100°+ days.
    We had 100°+ temps for 49 days straight.
    We had 13 days of 110°+ days.
    our highest temp was 117°.
    Several days, Grandfield, Ok was the hottest temp in the nation.
    Thankfully, humidity was nonexistent! LOL!
    I spent a summer in Kinmundy, Illinois about 1964.
    100° temps, high humidity and NO wind!
    Thought I was gonna die and I was from east Texas! The heat, humidity capital of the world!

Comment

My body doesn’t handle the heat so well so I’ll be in the air conditioning. I remember a couple years ago around Xmas time. I was fishing in shorts and actually loving the weather. Wouldn’t mind it if the winter turned out that way.

Comment

There is a reason it's called "swampeast missouri". The heat isn't changing my pattern as much as all the flooding and hoo boy, the pests. First, it was the snakiest year anyone can remember. Then, the ticks and chiggars are in droves everywhere. Now, its the wasps, yellowjackets and biting flies. Trying to find some lambs blood to splash over the doorway before the next plague.

Comment

The heat and humidity is nothing new here in Central Alabama. We just avoid being in the sun during the hottest part of the day.

I'll just stay hydrated and take frequent breaks if I need to be out in it. But, I don't like hunting when it's too hot because meat spoils quickly. There's also more chances of having to deal with snakes, ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, and gnats.

Comment

Being from southern Michigan, we have seldom the problem of venomous snakes. I don’t know why, but I have a fear of snakes and have a big respect for those of you who have to contend with them on a regular basis. They would keep me from hunting. My problem is chiggers, the itching they cause is unbearable and I have had them several times this year. Tomorrow it will be 95 degrees with a heat index of 115, but that is unusual for us here. I feel for those of you who put up with it on a regular basis !

Comment

Richard, normally I don't worry about snakes but am careful where I step, avoiding thick areas, rocks, and logs where they could be concealed. A good walking stick is useful to check questionable places before stepping. But of course I don't carry a walking stick when hunting in the early season so vigilance is even more important.

Jimbo, I've altered my hunting in the past and just stayed home when it's too warm. One of my favorite spots is in a swamp. In early archery season the highs can still get into the 90's. That's also before the first frost so the mosquito's, gnats, and flies come out in force. A good soaking of DEET helps but of course ruins any scent control. Also, swatting at insects can spoil concealment.

Comment

The weather service warns that about 200,000 people in the midwest are at risk because of the intense heat.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad