Have you heard of Leech Socks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you heard of Leech Socks?

i thought I had run across most outdoor equipment, these are new to me. Preparing for our trip to Borneo jungle in a couple weeks the outfit handling this adventure told us we had to have leech socks, not a suggestion but a requirement. Ours arrived. They are a tight weave, light weight, that go over feet and under regular socks, then pull above the knee. Held in place by drawstring elastic above and below the knee. They must be soaked in Permethrin and let dry. They come in a wide variety of colors except black, so you can spot leech on them more readily. The socks look pretty goofy and you know how I like to look like Stewart Granger, but what the heck, they say there are man eating leeches everywhere. I plan on destroying my photos. Hope I am not too old for this. Kindest Regards

thank you 99!
    Last edited by Happy Myles; 06-10-2019, 07:00 PM.

Leech socks? Don't think they had those when I was wading around in leech infested water. At least, the Army didn't issue them, and the Army said if it wasn't issue, you didn't need it! Leeches succumb rather quickly to a lit cigarette on their tail, anyway. We did not find many, due to wearing bloused jungle boots and long pants, but occasionally, one of the sneaky little buggers would get through.
    Good luck in Borneo, Happy, and if you didn't pick hot pink for your leech socks, you will look better than Stewart Granger! Please don't destroy your pictures, I know a lot of us would like to see them, and also your experiences on this hunt. Best of luck, and keep safe!
    crm

Comment

06, as I recall when I checked into Ft Ord for basic and advanced I was issued a sore throat and ringing ears which I could have done without. I have been with leeches before, but am told this is a whole different league.

Comment

Leech socks?
        No sir.
        But I have engaged industrial
        production level chiggers and seed ticks! LOL!

I have had a chigger infestation that caused fever and swelling!

For many moons, my feet froze on a deer stand. My youngest has blessed me with socks that no longer allow that to occur!
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 06-10-2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Almost as goofy as the Kevlar jock-strap "bomb shorts" one of the site's sponsors advertised a while back. Crazy.

Comment

Funny: I am probably one of the least-traveled members on this site, but actually I have heard of leech socks. It must have been in something I read -- though seldom do I read about tropical regions.

Maybe in a different life, I was a member of a jungle expedition. The cook, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
              i thought I had run across most outdoor equipment, these are new to me. Preparing for our trip to Borneo jungle in a couple weeks the outfit handling this adventure told us we had to have leech socks, not a suggestion but a requirement. Ours arrived. They are a tight weave, light weight, that go over feet and under regular socks, then pull above the knee. Held in place by drawstring elastic above and below the knee. They must be soaked in Permethrin and let dry. They come in a wide variety of colors except black, so you can spot leech on them more readily. The socks look pretty goofy and you know how I like to look like Stewart Granger, but what the heck, they say there are man eating leeches everywhere. I plan on destroying my photos. Hope I am not too old for this. Kindest Regards

thank you 99!
              Leeches are bad enough but in the Amazon there is a long thin fish (like a toothpick) that if you pee while in the water it can swim up the stream and lodge there. Don't know how they get them out. We have leeches in fresh water lakes in New York and some in Ohio. We used to carry some baking soda to get them to release. They only got 12" or so. Both States underwent eradication programs years ago by using a chemical that interrupted their breeding cycle so the numbers are a lot lower now. We used to catch walleye that had them stuck right on their side, eventually would suck all the blood out of the fish.
              Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-11-2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Leeches are bad enough but in the Amazon there is a long thin fish (like a toothpick) that if you pee while in the water it can swim up the stream and lodge there. Don't know how they get them out. We have leeches in fresh water lakes in New York and some in Ohio. We used to carry some baking soda to get them to release. They only got 12" or so. Both States underwent eradication programs years ago by using a chemical that interrupted their breeding cycle so the numbers are a lot lower now. We used to catch walleye that had them stuck right on their side, eventually would suck all the blood out of the fish.
                12 inch leeches?!! Are you talking about lampreys? Do they get on people as well as fish? If so -- yikes!

Comment

Jimbo, I draw the line putting a sock on my private parts, am not that well endowed anyway. Recently, someone indicated it would be poetic justice if a Borneo headhunter hung my head on his wall. In reply, I wondered if he would enter his trophy in Rowland and Ward?

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

12 inch leeches?!! Are you talking about lampreys? Do they get on people as well as fish? If so -- yikes!
                    sorry, I should have said lampreys. Yes they did grow big but the population is under control now.
                    We were swimming in a creek from the boat and my father was first in. In a couple minutes he came flying up over the back of the boat. One about 18"+ stuck on the back of the boat. We hit it with a mop and it stayed on. Went out into the Lake and it finally dropped off.

Comment

You would think if your putting it in permethrin that’s all you would need but buying something for leeches and still have to soak them then what good are the socks. Hope they work as good as they say.

Comment

Solitario, For years I have used Permethrin on outer shirts and trousers. One heavy treatment, then let clothes air out and dry overnight on the clothes line. This will last a half dozen or more laundry washings. I suspect the leech socks are in lieu of this. Also. The elastic tops help keep the evil creatures from reaching flesh. In African jungle I have used duct tape on trouser bottoms to keep leeches out. In the Savannah I wear Permethrin treated gaiters to keep the tsetse fly from crawling up trouser bottoms and attacking bare flesh.

permethrin instructions caution not to use directly on skin
                        Last edited by Happy Myles; 06-11-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Perhaps this is a good time to bring up that scene from the movie "Stand By Me," or the story it's based on, Stephen King's "The Body." I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                            Perhaps this is a good time to bring up that scene from the movie "Stand By Me," or the story it's based on, Stephen King's "The Body." I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
                            Edit: Actually I would wish it on my worst enemy, but only my worst.

Comment

I just read that some species of leech can grow to 16 inches in length.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gorsuch is correct.
                                by FirstBubba
                                I agree with longer sentences for crimes involving guns, but Justice Gorsuch is correct.
                                The Constitution makes no mention of crimes committed with...
                                Yesterday, 10:19 PM
                              • Reply to Gorsuch is correct.
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... Vague laws leave it to unelected attorneys and judges to determine what acts qualify as crimes, ..."

One must simply look...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              • High Velocity Politics
                                by jhjimbo
                                Can you believe the Democratic candidates have a whole 60 seconds to answer a question and say what they want tomorrow night and Thurs night. Wait, that...
                                Yesterday, 08:38 PM
                              • Reply to High Velocity Politics
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Can you just imagine the more than two handfuls of D’s all trying to outdo the other ? How in the world will they be able to come up with enough lies...
                                Today, 07:34 AM
                              • Reply to High Velocity Politics
                                by crm3006
                                60 seconds is about 50 seconds longer than I want to listen to any of the current crop of demoncrat losers, liars, fakers, dumb-asses and has beens. I...
                                Today, 06:53 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X