Remember These

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember These

The box of Weatherby .300WbyMag is loaded with Nosler Partitions. I pulled a bullet to see the load. It is a 200gr Partition with 77gr of a rod shaped powder. Not sure what it is. COL is 2.815. Some old-timers may remember the old partitions that were turned on a lathe. You can feel the turning marks when you slide a fingernail down the side of the bullet. Roy developed the Partition in 1948 when a standard bullet failed on a Elk hunt he was on. I took a couple pictures to show the turn marks. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	708490Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	708491Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	708492

I had been loading Sierra bullets for a couple of years before I discovered Nosler Partitions.
    Setting up for a trip to Colorado, I decided that the Nosler 160 gr was just the ticket for my .270 Win.
    Long story short, other than an accuracy check after the drive up, I didn't use them.
    Fast forward to east Texas whitetail season.
    The buck came left to right and I put a Nosler 160 gr Partition right behind the shoulder. He acted as if he had not been touched.
    The follow up shot through the trees ended up being a "Texas heart shot", right square through both hams! But it put him down!
    The first round had done the trick, but that heavy duty Partition bullet DID NOT open up on that 90 pound buck. It simply punched a .277 hole through both lungs and heart.
    The second round, also a pass through, left no indication of bullet expansion either!

I haven't used Nosler Partitions since.

IMNSHO, unless you're shooting those big Rockie Mtn mulies or larger, Partitions are a waste of time, money and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      I had been loading Sierra bullets for a couple of years before I discovered Nosler Partitions.
      Setting up for a trip to Colorado, I decided that the Nosler 160 gr was just the ticket for my .270 Win.
      Long story short, other than an accuracy check after the drive up, I didn't use them.
      Fast forward to east Texas whitetail season.
      The buck came left to right and I put a Nosler 160 gr Partition right behind the shoulder. He acted as if he had not been touched.
      The follow up shot through the trees ended up being a "Texas heart shot", right square through both hams! But it put him down!
      The first round had done the trick, but that heavy duty Partition bullet DID NOT open up on that 90 pound buck. It simply punched a .277 hole through both lungs and heart.
      The second round, also a pass through, left no indication of bullet expansion either!

I haven't used Nosler Partitions since.

IMNSHO, unless you're shooting those big Rockie Mtn mulies or larger, Partitions are a waste of time, money and energy.
      many people don't shoot 90lb deer.

Comment

Nosler Ballistic Tips are a lot better bullet for light, thin skinned game like Texas whitetails. I have never had to track over 100 yds. using NBTs, and have even dropped a couple of cow elk with them. That being said, I think the Nosler Partition or Accubond would be a better choice for elk. But, on smaller deer like Texas whitetails, I have found that the 165 gr. out of a .30-'06 or the 115 gr. out of a .25-06 are a deadly combination. The 117 gr. Hornady SST is another polymer tipped bullet, similar to the NBT, that has given excellent performance on whitetails, out of the .25-06.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
          Nosler Ballistic Tips are a lot better bullet for light, thin skinned game like Texas whitetails. I have never had to track over 100 yds. using NBTs, and have even dropped a couple of cow elk with them. That being said, I think the Nosler Partition or Accubond would be a better choice for elk. But, on smaller deer like Texas whitetails, I have found that the 165 gr. out of a .30-'06 or the 115 gr. out of a .25-06 are a deadly combination. The 117 gr. Hornady SST is another polymer tipped bullet, similar to the NBT, that has given excellent performance on whitetails, out of the .25-06.
          That is the mistake Bubba made, he was loaded for Elk and shot something about the size of a skinny dog. Never intended for that kind of game.

Comment

Old 160 grain partition way too much bullet for a 270 on whitetail. What was the range?

Comment

The .270 LGBT is fine for deer but not with such a heavy bullet. Probably going somewhere south of 2,500 FPS at impact which strips the .270 of its magic - speed. I usually hunt with larger caliber rifles loaded with tough bullets like Barnes or Trophy Bonded Bear Claws since there are toothy, fanged critters most places I hunt.

Comment

C'mon guys!
                Yes it was too much bullet for whitetail that size, but it was what was at hand headed out the door.

jimbo about 40 yards. At that time (late 1970's) in Leon county, Texas, the deer herd was on a decline due to improper management by the landowners.
                A legal (3 point or better) buck was hard to come by. You shot what showed up!

Comment

.270 LGBT?

Typo or just making the .270 win more ghey than it is?
                  (on another forum that's a long time joke)

Comment

Before shooting Federal Fusions I was a handloader who used partitions only in my then new 7-08 as well as my 7Rmag. Did not have the massive trauma of ballistic tips but always got a nickel hole going in and a quarter on exit. Best part was the consistency. Every bullet performed exactly like the one before. Mule deer, antelope, whitetails, same script. Never needed more than one, never lost an animal. I only switched to Fusions when I stopped handloading and moved east where I shoot deer at 50-100 yds 99% of the time and any bullet would probably do just fine.

Comment

Bubba that was a pretty heroic elk load for those days. Relax, I wish I had thought of trying it when I was still using a 270 on elk. I also guessed the range would be around forty. Kindest Regards

Comment

Regret I am just too old to hunt elk in the proper fashion, high tough country, frost in the air, hint of more snow in the offing. A great stalk, and if successful the work begins. Hopefully, a long beautiful ride out with a pack string, antlers showing off on top. What great trophies.

Comment

Just to clarify somewhat, most of the Texas whitetails are being shot at ranges from 100+ yds. out to 200/250 yds. One of the elk was shot at 212 yds. (lasered), and the other at 235 yds. (lasered). The 235 yd. shot was the last one that took her down with a broken neck, she had taken two more hits through the heart and lung area previously without slowing down. Range is important when judging bullet performance.

Comment

cd2, nah, he's "gheying" it up! LOL!
                            Ol WAM likes shooting Greyhound bus size bullets behind a mountain howitzer powder charge! (.300 Wby Mag)
                            1) if I lived in country (western U.S.) frequented by elk, big mulies, grizzly bears and moose, I'd probably shoot more than a .270
                            2) if I had the money, which I don't, I'd probably shoot Weatherby Vanguard rifles in standard calibers.

Where I grew up hunting, a .30-06 was "too much" gun!
                            But everybody and his dog had an '06!
                            My dad and grampa shot Marlin .30-30 Win and were perfectly armed for the thick creek bottom we hunted.
                            Who was the biggest named outdoor writer when I was a kid?
                            "Cactus" Jack O'Connor!
                            Per Jack, a Win M70 in .270 Win was just about perfect for everything in the U S.!
                            What else could a 10 year old (1960), knot headed Texican want?
                            Didn't Jack kill sheep, deer, elk and God only knows what else with a .270 Win?

BTW! WAM, took a pretty nice buck with a .270 last fall. Most of my "deer" hunting is with a 6.8mm Rem SPC II AR15. Light weight and low recoil. Perfect for an old fart!

Comment

Be gentle Bubba, in 1960, I had graduated from college.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                by FirstBubba
                                My eldest started life as a jailer.
                                Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                                "I'm tired of getting beat...
                                Today, 06:00 PM
                              • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                by FirstBubba
                                How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                                Today, 04:02 PM
                              • Reply to Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                                Today, 05:57 PM
                              • Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                                09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                              • Reply to Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                                Today, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X