What's the point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the point?

This is sort of a poll. Why do you come here? Participation is obviously declining. I'm wondering if maybe it's participants (or lack thereof) who are responsible or something the site is not providing. What's your thoughts?

I admit, I come here mostly to share my experiences. My life in the outdoors has been very full and varied. Seems a shame not to share it. Secondly, I enjoy a couple of the blogs. Again, it means more to me to share what the editors have experienced ... their product reviews perhaps not so much (especially for overpriced technocrap) but I understand the fiscal need for pushing that stuff. Advertising on the site has improved a lot and I've actually checked out a few sites that pop up here.

What turns me off? The video ads (mostly now in blogs) that jam up my computer's video card. Very annoying. The political nonsense is a big turn off too. Fortunately, that crap is not as bad as formerly. Not being able to see images that others are posting is irksome. Don't know what's going on there and I've complained but no response. And finally, I'm not interested in joining some social media site simply to participate on the blog forums (where no else is now participating anyway). But we've whipped that dead horse before with no effect.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 06-07-2019, 01:48 PM.

I come here because I honestly like hearing what everyone here thinks about certain topics, and hearing about the things they're doing from week to week. I also come for the instances of actual conversation back and forth.

Basically the same reasons a guy stops by the bar after work, or the fellas gather at the coffee shop in the morning.

I learn plenty, too -- for example, not being a rifle guy, I don't take part in any of the discussions about caliber, reloading, etc., but I usually read through those anyway. Can't say it's really one of the reasons why I'm here, but it's another benefit.

Edit: Didn't realize that you were asking about the blog-site, too. Since they've been two sites, I don't use the main FS site anymore -- or hardly, anyway. Haven't missed it a bit. And as long as the printed magazine is published so rarely now, I'd rather each article in it be something I haven't seen before.
    Last edited by MattM37; 06-07-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

....What’s the point ....?

Lately, that is a darn good question ! I have not seen the site this absent of any kind of posting in a long time. Maybe it is due to the time of year, no hunting seasons open, and other summer functions going on with families. At least that is my hope. We have lost some good members which has resulted in amount of material not being seen and able to be in our conversations. Being with Matt in regards to not being a rifle person, or one with any knowledge of reloading statistics, I have nothing to offer there. I do read much of what is posted, even when without any input to be given. I do not feel that the site needs to be solely a source of technical information, I also enjoy general conversations and levity between users ! When things are slow, I for one have no problem with odds and ends being posted.

Comment

I come here because I feel I have friends here and I want to know what my friends are up to.
        Last edited by dewman; 06-07-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          I come here because I feel I have friends here and I want to know what my friends are up to.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^
          This!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            Count me in here too!
            I've made some lasting friendships here that would not have happened otherwise.

Edit:
            I have my ideas about why participation is so low, but I won't go into particulars.
            As for the "other" side requiring social media to participate, I don't do "social media".
            I've had people tell me things about my own children I didn't know because they are on Facebook! ...and I know they don't personally know my kids!
            Last edited by FirstBubba; 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

The Blog section is a pain to sign in and also hit or miss, sometimes taking several attempts. Many have decided it is too much bother. It used to attract individuals who afterwards would come over to the answers section. Now they do not bother with either section. I have been around over ten years and being retired have the luxury of time on my hands to check in when I am not hunting. Many do not. I am also interested in the other old timers, otherwise I would not tolerate the hassle. Like Ontario I have a lot of decades of extensive, varied hunting experience around the world without a lot of years left to share it. For example, no one ever asks about international sheep hunting. Have successfully hunted them all. Kindest Regards, I will be around.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                The Blog section is a pain to sign in and also hit or miss, sometimes taking several attempts. Many have decided it is too much bother. It used to attract individuals who afterwards would come over to the answers section. Now they do not bother with either section. I have been around over ten years and being retired have the luxury of time on my hands to check in when I am not hunting. Many do not. I am also interested in the other old timers, otherwise I would not tolerate the hassle. Like Ontario I have a lot of decades of extensive, varied hunting experience around the world without a lot of years left to share it. For example, no one ever asks about international sheep hunting. Have successfully hunted them all. Kindest Regards, I will be around.
                Happy, once you register with DISQUS sign in is a snap. Disqus is a registry that helps prevent trolls and robo posts. Nothing to worry about with your information.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  I come here because I honestly like hearing what everyone here thinks about certain topics, and hearing about the things they're doing from week to week. I also come for the instances of actual conversation back and forth.

Basically the same reasons a guy stops by the bar after work, or the fellas gather at the coffee shop in the morning.

I learn plenty, too -- for example, not being a rifle guy, I don't take part in any of the discussions about caliber, reloading, etc., but I usually read through those anyway. Can't say it's really one of the reasons why I'm here, but it's another benefit.

Edit: Didn't realize that you were asking about the blog-site, too. Since they've been two sites, I don't use the main FS site anymore -- or hardly, anyway. Haven't missed it a bit. And as long as the printed magazine is published so rarely now, I'd rather each article in it be something I haven't seen before.
                  Deer Camp 2019 catching up on reading Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	708451

Comment

Sadly, I am too inept. I am registered with DISQUS but somewhere among their robot questions and other steps, things get lost in translation. Comments appear and disappear, replies take a lot of coaxing. A friend of mine has the same issues and gave up. I still have some wits about me and a bit of coordination remains, so will persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Deer Camp 2019 catching up on reading Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	708451
                      Gees, Jimbo, you are obviously ready for the assisted living home, sitting on the john but forgot to pull your pants down.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                        Sadly, I am too inept. I am registered with DISQUS but somewhere among their robot questions and other steps, things get lost in translation. Comments appear and disappear, replies take a lot of coaxing. A friend of mine has the same issues and gave up. I still have some wits about me and a bit of coordination remains, so will persevere.
                        Sometimes a different browser makes the difference. Try Microsoft edge.

Comment

I like keeping up with all of you and reading of your experiences and opinions.

Work has been challenging for the last 9 months with several weeks of 7 - 12's. So, I just breeze through the site when I can.

One of the main things I miss is being able to ding 99...
                          Last edited by PigHunter; 06-08-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I like checking in, but I think all the legitimate questions have been asked and answered so not so stimulating these days. Both the blogs and Answers sections are a pain in the butt to log into and the site is clunky. I still appreciate seeing the regulars still around. Sort of like checking the obituaries in reverse. Happy Trails

Comment

[QUOTE=WA Mtnhunter;n708466]I like checking in, but I think all the legitimate questions have been asked and answered so not so stimulating these days. Both the blogs and Answers sections are a pain in the butt to log into and the site is clunky. I still appreciate seeing the regulars still around. Sort of like checking the obituaries in reverse. Happy Trails [/QUOTE

LOL on the obits remark!!

What did you end up deciding for plans at home and how did the Colorado draw treat you?

Waiting on the boys tag to show then will be making flight plans, almost done with the planning stage here.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                by FirstBubba
                                My eldest started life as a jailer.
                                Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                                "I'm tired of getting beat...
                                Today, 06:00 PM
                              • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                by FirstBubba
                                How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                                Today, 04:02 PM
                              • Reply to Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                                Today, 05:57 PM
                              • Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                                09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                              • Reply to Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                                Today, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X