X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another occasional hazard:

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I did not know corn snakes got huge. I have them around about 2', how big is huge? Do yours have a yellow ladder type stripe down the back? I don't think they bite too hard.
      jimbo, this dude was around 3 or 4 feet. Yep, they get pretty big down here. Lot'sa rats, mice and bunnies to grow on! LOL!

I leave corn snakes alone. Pretty much any nonvenomous is safe except chicken snakes. I despise those nasty, stinking things!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

jimbo, this dude was around 3 or 4 feet. Yep, they get pretty big down here. Lot'sa rats, mice and bunnies to grow on! LOL!

I leave corn snakes alone. Pretty much any nonvenomous is safe except chicken snakes. I despise those nasty, stinking things!
        I agree Bubba, I see no reason to bring harm to a nonvenomous snake. But my good will does not extend to snakes that can cause death or severe suffering to those who should encounter a bite from them. They are a incident waiting to happen to someone, somewhere or at sometime. Others can believe as they wish, but we have enough beneficial snakes to fill what benefits snakes provide that we don’t need to rely on poisonous ones also ! JMO ,

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

I agree Bubba, I see no reason to bring harm to a nonvenomous snake. But my good will does not extend to snakes that can cause death or severe suffering to those who should encounter a bite from them. They are a incident waiting to happen to someone, somewhere or at sometime. Others can believe as they wish, but we have enough beneficial snakes to fill what benefits snakes provide that we don’t need to rely on poisonous ones also ! JMO ,
          I have 3 small lakes (farm ponds?) within 60 yards of the house.
          The primary water reservoir is a very deep 1.5 acre lake (again - ?).
          The house is on a lagoon septic system which is within 30 yards of the house.
          I keep my yard mowed as low as the blades will go.
          Anything venomous DIES!

Comment

Drunks and idiots on cellphones..........if I can make it to/from my hunting spot I consider it a good day.

Took a day off work, came upon a fresh wreck.....fatal.
            Took the next day off work, kinda rattled.....2 lane the day before.
            Went on a 4 lane to a diff place..............another fatal wreck.
            Had three days off work..........

wreck day 1, wreck day 2..........I took my 3rd day off work, but just stayed home.

Comment

The biggest danger that I face is weather, being on open water and a storm blowing in on the Chesapeake bay or Delaware bay . Truth any big water can turn in to a nightmare in minutes and your gone! To many years and too many people I know lost thier lives or nearly did for me not to respect the weather and the water.

Comment

No danger, just another old story. Ages go,I was hunting the Savannah of Central African Republic, it’s borders were unguarded, truly frontier. My PH was down with malaria and I had a young chap in his place, no hunting experience but he did speak passable English and along with my high school French we were getting by. We came upon the sign of a large group of bovine animals. The kid got excited, exclaiming it was the largest herd of Western Cape buffalo he has ever seen. I explained my long experience hunting buffalo and growing up on a cattle ranch and was sure these were domestic livestock, pointing out some human tracks among the cows. He indignantly stated they were not allowed to be there. Well, there had been a deadly drought to the north and the herders livestock were dying of thirst and starvation, so they had no choice but to come south from Chad, risking tsetse fly death among cows in hopes of saving some livestock. My beginner PH demanded the trackers take the 12 gauge shotgun and fire a few rounds over the interlopers heads. Following orders, they disappeared into the bush. Shortly we heard a few gunshots, followed by a barrage of AK47 rounds. The two trackers reappeared at full speed speed, dodging branches and hurdling bushes. ‘’ What happened? ‘’, shouted my young helper. I dryly replied, “. I think the herdsmen just told us they were staying “.

Hundreds of miles from law enforcement you learn to adapt. I still laugh about that morning and wonder what became of that young man. He had just graduated from a Paris university with a degree in philosophy. He attempted to turn down my proffered tip at the end of our adventure, feeling he had not earned it. I assured him him he had done his best and insisted he take it, which he did, saying, with a smile, he was finished with being a Professional Hunter. He was a good kid, the C.A.R. was a tough place in those days. Kindest Regard
                Last edited by Happy Myles; 06-09-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Thanks. Don't like to be in traffic on the bike and the texters are going at it or some are putting on makeup, etc.
                  Not sure if you are on a motorcycle or bicycle but either way the danger posed is much greater.
                  I saw many similar efforts by drivers in the years I commuted to & from work, don't miss that at all.
                  I bicycle for exercise, mostly on trails or roads with distinct bike lanes.

Comment

Springer, I am on a motorcycle.
                    Pmmac, When on Lake Erie I listen to a radio station 100 miles to the West, when I hear static I have about 1 1/2 hours before the storm. Erie can build up to 25' waves which is a lot for a inland Lake. I was fishing in the middle section around the PA line and about 20 miles out where we found the pack of boats. Got all set up and I told my buddy pull in your gear. What? We just got here. Half way back he was puking over the side of the boat.

Comment

We were on a major loop, 6 lanes, early in the morning,,,,,,,,were about 1 hr into 3 hr run to turkey spot.

Hardly any traffic, this wee hrs of Sat morn (left after work- got off at midnight).

Saw a car ahead, not the most stable in line of travel.

As we approached, we picked a line, and hammered it............zoomed past before they could glance over (and have their car follow their eyes).

Some younger gal, stoned/ drunk.

We made it past and she stayed in her lane..........but I kept watching. About a hundred yards behind us now, her lights flared and she took it hard left into concrete divider.

There were other cars behind, they could stop to assist or not.

Just glad we blew past when we did.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gorsuch is correct.
                        by FirstBubba
                        I agree with longer sentences for crimes involving guns, but Justice Gorsuch is correct.
                        The Constitution makes no mention of crimes committed with...
                        Yesterday, 10:19 PM
                      • Reply to Gorsuch is correct.
                        by FirstBubba
                        "... Vague laws leave it to unelected attorneys and judges to determine what acts qualify as crimes, ..."

One must simply look...
                        Today, 07:39 AM
                      • High Velocity Politics
                        by jhjimbo
                        Can you believe the Democratic candidates have a whole 60 seconds to answer a question and say what they want tomorrow night and Thurs night. Wait, that...
                        Yesterday, 08:38 PM
                      • Reply to High Velocity Politics
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        Can you just imagine the more than two handfuls of D’s all trying to outdo the other ? How in the world will they be able to come up with enough lies...
                        Today, 07:34 AM
                      • Reply to High Velocity Politics
                        by crm3006
                        60 seconds is about 50 seconds longer than I want to listen to any of the current crop of demoncrat losers, liars, fakers, dumb-asses and has beens. I...
                        Today, 06:53 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X