Dangers Afield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangers Afield

I was watching Jeremy Wade ("River Monsters") fishing the Chernobyl site. He wore monitors to keep track of the radiation he was absorbing as he fished, and could only fish a certain number of hours total. Crazy.

What are some of the dangers you've faced, willingly or otherwise, when hunting or fishing?

I've got it pretty easy. Holstein bulls are about the only real danger around here, and not many farmers even keep them anymore.

Biggest danger I face is old age! LOL!
    We have feral hogs, though I don't consider them much of a physical danger.
    I consider some livestock more dangerous. I've had to dodge and duck both cows AND bulls!
    Next on the list would have to be rattle snakes and water moccasins.
    I finished mowing last week and was working on my new shooting bench and almost stepped on a HUGE corn snake right out in the bald open!
    Lastly would probably be ticks and poisonous plants.
    We do have cougars, but I've never seen one.

Comment

I think Holstein dairy farmers are mostly into artificial insemination these days, and have no need for bulls on the premises.
      Poisonous snakes are the main hazard in my neck of the woods.

Comment

Yes, AI is indeed the reason you don't see many bulls around anymore. Why put up with a dangerous, troublesome beast when you can just pay the vet? An older farmer was killed a couple years ago by his bull -- another sad farm story. The pasture crick I grew up fishing, the farmer who owned most of it would always stop by the house to let me know when he'd be putting his bull in with the heifers each spring. Lucky for me I still had a good stretch that came down through the woods, so no interruption to my fishing.

The only danger up there was an old dude who was reputed to shoot at anyone he saw on his land, even if they were just innocent, good-natured ten-year-old fishermen. I think he was just a myth, probably a story hatched by someone who didn't want any competition for the brookies. There were some beauties up in there.

Comment

This past season I hunted alone in the rain with temps in the low 40's. I used a military poncho to get into position and rigged a camo tarp over the spot I chose for a blind. Staying dry was the key to not getting into a dangerous situation.

Sometimes I use a canoe to get into my favorite swamp to hunt the high ground there. Most of the time I'm alone and paddling the three miles back to the landing in the dark. Of course it's a calculated risk when it's cold. Flipping the canoe could be fatal when the air temp is in the 30s and the water is about the same.

I've been alone several times when sneaking up on a sounder of pigs in thick undergrowth. At the right moment I've waded into the group while shooting a handgun, shotgun, or rifle. So far, none have tried to charge or otherwise attack me.

But, I'm probably in more danger going to/from hunting because of the youngsters driving while texting.

Comment

My buddy works on a nuclear power plant he’s got the suite on and those monitors on. I think he’s nuts. As for fishing or being outdoors anything can happen. Even gotta watch out for them stupid hunters who shoot before they look. How about watching out for other fisherman’s hooks I’ve been snag before.
            Last edited by Solitario Lupo; 06-06-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

We have rattlesnakes, but i have seen very few. The most dangerous are Skeeters snd ticks. I live in a lyme disease hot spot. So i am always looking for ticks. Recently i found some new great looking fishing holes on a visit to yopper land. As soon as i exited the truck, i was swarmed by hundreds of hungry skeeters. I need a new strategy to keep them at bay or give up these new spots.

Comment

I hunt alone which is, I suppose, inherently dangerous. But sometimes I'm not so sure it's any less dangerous hunting with someone else. I have been in many tight spots, mostly related to the weather, but always managed to come through okay. The worst was an overnight hyopthermia episode that essentially killed me ... the doctor at the clinic two days later said I was supposed to be dead. And I was not alone for that ordeal ... or I wasn't supposed to be anyway. My partner drove off with my car to get help when I failed to come out on time ... and he didn't come back. That's quite a story. Not sure I ever wrote it down. Guess I should. Eventually it led to my finest trophy the following week so no regrets.

Back in the early eighties an argument with my horse led to us both tumbling down the mountain end over end. Broke my gun in half, lost my glasses, and rung my bell very badly but luckily I managed to get back in the saddle, pack up the camp, and ride out twenty-three miles ... alone.

I was very close to cougars twice (one could have just about reached out and swatted me as I walked by his bed). Several times ran into grizzlies but only three times did they even know I was around. Back in 1980 I almost shot a subadult griz that challenged me on a new horse at dusk, and I did fire at a sow a few years back when fishing ... but only to get her attention before she got too close to me and the dogs with her cubs.

The most dangerous attack in outdoors was actually from the smallest critter. Giardia almost got me at my early elk season camp. Wow! About crapped myself to death in a few hours. So weak it took several attempts to get in the saddle. I was only able to pack up part of my camp and finally made the ride out twenty-five miles to the truck after disposing of every pair of underwear I had along the way (I peremptorily stuffed spares in saddle bags before leaving camp). God guided that old '53 stock truck the seventy some miles back to the farm. Didn't have the strength to do it on my own that's for sure.

Edit: Almost forgot about the time the Coho ferry nearly ran over my cruiser in thick fog off Port Angeles, Washington. I was fishing with the 7.5 hp kicker when a big ocean run silver slammed the rod. When I shut off the motor I could here/feel the THUMP, THUMP, THUMP of the ferry's props. I knew instantly what the problem was: ships have trouble picking up fiberglass boats without motors on radar (it's why sailboats have those aluminum reflectors attached to top of masts). Immediately broke off the fish and fired up the big Dodge inboard V-8. Then the ferry picked me up on radar and sounded her fog horn ... VERY close. But where the hell is she exactly? I can't just take off running or I might run into her. A ship that size going at that clip can't turn to avoid me very easily either. But at least the skipper could now see me on radar and had a better chance of steering clear if I didn't move. I had to sit and wait for the Coho to come out of the fog. The thumping and horn blasts got louder! Very unnerving! Finally there she was not fifty yards off my stern and closing fast. Very fast! I took off and avoided looking back as that three story behemoth roared by with one more very long and angry horn blast. Then I braced for impact with her wake, hoping to maintain enough speed to avoid having it come full force over the transom. That one was hairy!
                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 06-07-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

pig hunter, the biggest danger with pigs is:
                  1) stumbling upon one by surprise.
                  2) getting between a pig and his/her chosen escape route
                  3) getting between a sow and her piglets
                  4) hurting a sows piglet - if a piglet starts squealing, a sow will move heaven and earth to get to it!

Keep your wits about you and ferals aren't a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    This past season I hunted alone in the rain with temps in the low 40's. I used a military poncho to get into position and rigged a camo tarp over the spot I chose for a blind. Staying dry was the key to not getting into a dangerous situation.

Sometimes I use a canoe to get into my favorite swamp to hunt the high ground there. Most of the time I'm alone and paddling the three miles back to the landing in the dark. Of course it's a calculated risk when it's cold. Flipping the canoe could be fatal when the air temp is in the 30s and the water is about the same.

I've been alone several times when sneaking up on a sounder of pigs in thick undergrowth. At the right moment I've waded into the group while shooting a handgun, shotgun, or rifle. So far, none have tried to charge or otherwise attack me.

But, I'm probably in more danger going to/from hunting because of the youngsters driving while texting.
                    I just made a bumper sticker for texters -
                    Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	show me .png Views:	0 Size:	2.9 KB ID:	708438Bumper sticker aimed at texters.
                      Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-07-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        Click image for larger version Name:	show me .png Views:	0 Size:	2.9 KB ID:	708438Bumper sticker aimed at texters.
                        Very nice jhjimbo 👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Very nice jhjimbo 👍👍
                          Thanks. Don't like to be in traffic on the bike and the texters are going at it or some are putting on makeup, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                            I was watching Jeremy Wade ("River Monsters") fishing the Chernobyl site. He wore monitors to keep track of the radiation he was absorbing as he fished, and could only fish a certain number of hours total. Crazy.

What are some of the dangers you've faced, willingly or otherwise, when hunting or fishing?

I've got it pretty easy. Holstein bulls are about the only real danger around here, and not many farmers even keep them anymore.
                            I had a group of cows chase after me, false charge.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              Biggest danger I face is old age! LOL!
                              We have feral hogs, though I don't consider them much of a physical danger.
                              I consider some livestock more dangerous. I've had to dodge and duck both cows AND bulls!
                              Next on the list would have to be rattle snakes and water moccasins.
                              I finished mowing last week and was working on my new shooting bench and almost stepped on a HUGE corn snake right out in the bald open!
                              Lastly would probably be ticks and poisonous plants.
                              We do have cougars, but I've never seen one.
                              I did not know corn snakes got huge. I have them around about 2', how big is huge? Do yours have a yellow ladder type stripe down the back? I don't think they bite too hard.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad