Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17 cal 17 HMR changed rimfires forever
    20 cal 204 Ruger enough said
    22 cal. 22-250 accurate and powerful gives everyone a truly accurate hard hitting varmint rifle
    24 cal 243 win started a whole new kind of dual purpose rifle
    25 cal. 25-06 rem. King of the quarter bores and it makes Dakotaman happy to see it listed
    6.5 6.5. Creedmoor “oh hell no” 264 win mag great round that still is efficient.
    277 cal 270 win
    7mm 7 mm rem mag sixties , seventies and eighties this was the every mans magnum
    30 cal 30-06 it ain’t sexy it’s just the greatest round of all time.
    33 cal 338 win mag
    35 cal. 35 whelen just a wonderful cartridge with devastating power.
    375 cal 375 H&H mag

Comment

I have to say the King of the .17's is a rimfire, the .17WinchesterSuperMagnum. A .28cal contractors blank necked down to .l7cal it is the fastest rimfire made. 20gr starts at 3,000fps. This cartridge beats the .17HMR by 50% in every category measured. Check it out. BTW, .17 HMR's can not be converted to the .17WSM as their actions are not strong enough. Ammo is made by all the majors and is now less than a 50rd box of .22mag, around $15/50. There are about 5 rifle manufacturers who chamber the .17WSM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        I have to say the King of the .17's is a rimfire, the .17WinchesterSuperMagnum. A .28cal contractors blank necked down to .l7cal it is the fastest rimfire made. 20gr starts at 3,000fps. This cartridge beats the .17HMR by 50% in every category measured. Check it out. BTW, .17 HMR's can not be converted to the .17WSM as their actions are not strong enough. Ammo is made by all the majors and is now less than a 50rd box of .22mag, around $15/50. There are about 5 rifle manufacturers who chamber the .17WSM.
        Yes it’s the most powerful but it isn’t about power it’s about the overall effect on us as shooters. Jim the 17 wsm is the best just not the king!

Comment

King of the 30’s is the , no surprise, .300 Weatherby Magnum. It’s been around longer than all the modern magnums that even come close to its performance.

Crown Prince of the .284 crowd is the 7x57 Mauser. Killed everything on the planet in the day.

Too many Pretenders to the Throne to list the rest. Happy Trails

Comment

.17 Hornet is 3650.........and reloadable.

Comment

Bubba, Re: the 5.56/.223 - it is not a competition between this and any other caliber. That is not the idea of the survey. The .223 could very well be tops in the .22 centerfire group.

Comment

While thinking of the various calibers, it dawned on me I have taken deer with several 25 caliber rifles.
                25-35
                250-3000
                257 Roberts
                257 Ackley Improved
                25-06
                257 Weatherby
                i have also taken elk with the 25-06 and the 257 Weatherby. They are in my experience the best 25 calibers. The 25-35 belonged to my grandpa and I killed a Muley with it as a small boy. Pappy flatly stated it was a better deer rifle than 30-06 elephant guns. Times do change don’t they. He was a great fly fisherman and would not let anyone touch his bamboo rod. Kindest Regards

Comment

22 cal- 22-250
                  24 cal- 6MM
                  25 cal -257 Weatherby
                  26 cal - 264 Win
                  27 cal - 270 Win
                  28 cal- 280 Rem
                  30 cal- 308
                  33 cal -338 Win Mag
                  35 cal- 350 Rem Mag
                  These probably wouldn't make anyone's list but I have taken game with all of them and it was very hard not to put my 300WSM in the 30 caliber spot.

Comment

In the 6.5mm category, I have to agree with Pmacc and Sarge that the .264 Win. Mag. is king of the hill, but my personal favorite is the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser.

Comment

Pmacc60: there is no criteria for 'king' of a caliber. It is what is in your mind only. You think the .17hmr is king, that's fine. I think the .17wsm is king. Just a difference of opinion.

Comment

I have a question since we are talking about cartridges. Does anyone know why ammo manufacturers don't use a shoulder similar to the Ackley Improved.? Since in almost every case the AI is a better cartridge than the factory equivalent. The only one that comes close is Weatherby with the double shoulder. Does Ackley have a patent on the AI shoulder so others can't use it? Since it solves some headspace problems I would think everyone would jump on the design. Anybody have any ideas ?

Comment

Pmacc60: there is no criteria for 'king' of a caliber. It is what is in your mind only. You think the .17hmr is king, that's fine. I think the .17wsm is king. Just a difference of opinion.
                          It was my criteria that I gave you my opinion. My selections were based on not set criteria except how I look at the different cartridge impacts. Wam and you both are correct , how do you beat the performance of the 300
                          weatherby in 30 cal. The 6mm rem is better than the 243 win but the 243 took off and Remington did there best to kill the 6 out of the gate. Good picks by Sarge and FB . I chose the 7mm rem mag but the 7 Weatherby is the mag I like best and the 7mm08 is another favorite of mine. Truth is the 7x57 started it all with the super sevens . I chose my list on how the round impacted the shooting world. Like you said , no wrong answer

Comment

Interesting how little mention of new designer cartridges in lieu of old standby's

Comment

Interesting how little mention of new designer cartridges in lieu of old standby's
                              I mentioned the 6.5 Creedmoor early in this thread. That's now become my preferred cartridge for Whitetail. For hunting in the woods this past season, I often carried an AR chambered in .300 Blackout. The .243, .308, .30-06, and .45-70 stayed in the safe.

Correction: I did kill one coyote with the .45-70
                              Last edited by PigHunter; 06-12-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

PH - This is how I picture you:

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gorsuch is correct.
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  I agree with longer sentences for crimes involving guns, but Justice Gorsuch is correct.
                                  The Constitution makes no mention of crimes committed with...
                                  Yesterday, 10:19 PM
                                • Reply to Gorsuch is correct.
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  "... Vague laws leave it to unelected attorneys and judges to determine what acts qualify as crimes, ..."

One must simply look...
                                  Today, 07:39 AM
                                • High Velocity Politics
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Can you believe the Democratic candidates have a whole 60 seconds to answer a question and say what they want tomorrow night and Thurs night. Wait, that...
                                  Yesterday, 08:38 PM
                                • Reply to High Velocity Politics
                                  by bowhunter75richard
                                  Can you just imagine the more than two handfuls of D’s all trying to outdo the other ? How in the world will they be able to come up with enough lies...
                                  Today, 07:34 AM
                                • Reply to High Velocity Politics
                                  by crm3006
                                  60 seconds is about 50 seconds longer than I want to listen to any of the current crop of demoncrat losers, liars, fakers, dumb-asses and has beens. I...
                                  Today, 06:53 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X