King of the Caliber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of the Caliber

Here is a different survey just for fun - no wrong answers. Within a caliber, in your mind, what is the one top cartridge ? For instance, in .30caliber, is the 30-06 king in your estimation, or is it the .300Win ? Give the top in as many calibers as you want or are familiar with. Your list is based on your idea of what is tops, no set criteria. Jim

I suppose the first time "caliber" was subjective was the Revolutionary War era.
    The .58 caliber Brown Bess ruled the day. Until displaced German gunsmiths began building .45 rifled rifles. A big deciding factor in America winning her freedom.
    Not until the "free trappers" of the 1840's needed something bigger than a .45 to take on the grizzly of the Rockies.
    Then it was the .50 and .54 caliber rifles of Hawken brothers fame.
    The next king was probably the Big Fifty Sharps that nearly wiped out the buffalo.
    Then here came repeaters with the .56-50 Spencer carbine.
    Guess I'd say Winchester, Henry and Marlin. The main caliber I'd opine was probably the .44-40.
    Then came 1906 and the venerable .30-06 Spgfld.
    No caliber, to my limited knowledge, has ever surpassed the popularity of a .30-06 bolt action rifle.
    For over one hundred years, .30-06 ammo has had a place in military arsenals, sporting goods and hardware stores.
    It's probably true the .30-30 Win has killed more deer, but I'll make a pretty good wager that no case in history has burned more gun powder than a .30-06 case!

Is it old '06 "The King"?
    I dunno, but there are sure worlds of them out there!

To be fair, the 5.56/.223, due to its military adoption, is EXTREMELY popular, but it will never be capable of what the '06 can do.

Comment

Short action. Like.
      Not going with the crowd. Like
      A little less blast and recoil. Like

.300 Savage.

Is pretty cool. Thought about a stainless Savage bolt rig in that.
      They did a limited run, too pricey.

Remington 7600 pump in that would be a sweet deer rig.
      They too did a limited run of em BTW.

You can buy older 760s very reasonable though.

A Ruger #1 A would be nice.

Comment

6.5 Creedmoor

Comment

My vote goes to the old ought six, as might be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            I suppose the first time "caliber" was subjective was the Revolutionary War era.
            The .58 caliber Brown Bess ruled the day. Until displaced German gunsmiths began building .45 rifled rifles. A big deciding factor in America winning her freedom.
            Not until the "free trappers" of the 1840's needed something bigger than a .45 to take on the grizzly of the Rockies.
            Then it was the .50 and .54 caliber rifles of Hawken brothers fame.
            The next king was probably the Big Fifty Sharps that nearly wiped out the buffalo.
            Then here came repeaters with the .56-50 Spencer carbine.
            Guess I'd say Winchester, Henry and Marlin. The main caliber I'd opine was probably the .44-40.
            Then came 1906 and the venerable .30-06 Spgfld.
            No caliber, to my limited knowledge, has ever surpassed the popularity of a .30-06 bolt action rifle.
            For over one hundred years, .30-06 ammo has had a place in military arsenals, sporting goods and hardware stores.
            It's probably true the .30-30 Win has killed more deer, but I'll make a pretty good wager that no case in history has burned more gun powder than a .30-06 case!

Is it old '06 "The King"?
            I dunno, but there are sure worlds of them out there!

To be fair, the 5.56/.223, due to its military adoption, is EXTREMELY popular, but it will never be capable of what the '06 can do.
            So, what is your top pick cartridge for the .58 caliber group ?

And, what are your top pick cartridges for the .50 and .54 calibers ?

Etc. ?

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
              Short action. Like.
              Not going with the crowd. Like
              A little less blast and recoil. Like

.300 Savage.

Is pretty cool. Thought about a stainless Savage bolt rig in that.
              They did a limited run, too pricey.

Remington 7600 pump in that would be a sweet deer rig.
              They too did a limited run of em BTW.

You can buy older 760s very reasonable though.

A Ruger #1 A would be nice.

Interesting, of all the .30 caliber cartridges out there you would pick the .300Savage.

Comment

My top pick in the .30caliber group would be the .300WeatherbyMag. Ahead of it's time, the one caliber that has done it all around the World. I think Weatherby even advertised it as the one caliber to have if you only have one (paraphrase).

Comment

Life with one rifle would be a cursed existence.

The .300 Sav gave birth to the .308 Win. Older i get the less blast and recoil I tolerate. .300 Savage is not wimp but is a little more polite.

Plus not everbody has one. That in a Ruger #1 A would be good in woods or stretched into field.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    Life with one rifle would be a cursed existence.

The .300 Sav gave birth to the .308 Win. Older i get the less blast and recoil I tolerate. .300 Savage is not wimp but is a little more polite.

Plus not everbody has one. That in a Ruger #1 A would be good in woods or stretched into field.
                    I had a beautiful model 99 in .300 but sold it because it was the old style safety on the right side of lever and I am left hand. I'll see if I have a pic. of it. Sold it to a guy who was going to fly here and pick me up in his plane and then off to CO where he had a cabin at 5,000'

I will see if I have a pic of it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000588.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	708369 Besides the tang sight it has a Griffin & Howe quick detachable base and rings.
                    Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-03-2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I had a 1935 EG. Worn but not drilled and tapped. Sold it. Tried a Lightfoot mount and it worked great but the gun balance changed. Figured it made it this far without alteration..proly not mess with it
                      Of course it had an OK trigger. Found a newer featherweight and trigger was attrocious. Looking back i should have got a high comb stock...w pad. Chopped bbl and drilled and tapped the one I had.
                      ​​​​
                      Last edited by CD2; 06-03-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

The top 30 caliber cartridge in my opinion is the 30/06. My most used cartridge for decades in that caliber is the 300 Win Mag as I hunt all over the world often and annually and it delivers the 30 cal message accurately with more authority than an 06. I shoot and hunt often so my mind and body has learned to deal with the heavier recoil. Many times I run into folks who annually sight in with a few rounds and hunt only a few days a year. Most would be more comfortable and have better results with the lighter recoiling 06 than the various 300 magnum calibers. Among the 30 calibers I have used include, 300 Savage, 300 WSM, 300 H & H, 300 Weatherby, and 30/30. If for some reason you need to borrow a rifle in a foreign land the loaners more often than not will be an 06 or 375 H & H. The 30/06 wide variety factory ammo bullets and weights can be found anywhere. We always compare other cartridges to it. Why? Because it may not be the best, but is still King.
                        Last edited by Happy Myles; 06-03-2019, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Happy,

Just got a new general purpose big game rifle. Boring old bolt action in boring old .30-06

Id still like a .257 weatherby mag and a 35 whelen though.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

So, what is your top pick cartridge for the .58 caliber group ?

And, what are your top pick cartridges for the .50 and .54 calibers ?

Etc. ?
                            Top .58 cartridge? Guess that would have to be the paper cartridge.

The .50 would have to be the Sharps "Big Fifty". (.50-120?)

.429 - .44-40 for class / .44 Rem Mag for brute strength.

.308 - No doubt, .30-06 Spgfld

.284/7mm - 7×57 for class/ 7mm Rem Mag for brute strength

.277 - No doubt, .280 Win, but I'm becoming quite partial to the 6.8mm Rem SPC II.

.257 Rbts

We all know .243 Win is champ, but I'll give a nod to the 6mm Rem

Twenty two's?

1) .22 LR just for versatility.
                            2) .22 Hornet a dog gone good round
                            3) 5.56/.223 just for popularity

Comment

.22-250 Have one.
                              .243 Have one.
                              .25-06
                              6.5 Creedmoor
                              .270 😎
                              7mm-08 Have one.
                              .30-06
                              .338 Win Mag
                              .45-70 Have one.

Boring I know, but that’s how I’d roll.
                              Last edited by fitch270; 06-03-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad