Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a 44-40 and why is it thought to be so weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryan Austin
    replied
    I have been gathering 44-40 box codes for a while now for Winchester and Western 44-40 boxes. The codes have been broken and the dates reviled. The below link takes you to the doc file where I have the spreadsheet loaded. I am always updating the file.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1860800684

Also below are some screen shots of the data for those that don't like to click links.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	761268

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	761269

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	761267
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bryan Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Well, tomtom, I'm not Bryan but I would encourage you to find a reliable gunsmith and have your gun inspected, then follow his recommendation.

SAAMI sets specs for ammo. Most modern ammo has been loaded down to shoot in older firearms.
    Too many redneck rubes will shove a .45-70 Gov't round into great grampa's old "Trap Door" Springfield, then want to get all bent out of shape when it blows up in their face.

Have it checked out.
    What he said.

In general, the the Marlin 94 is a Group II "strong action" rifle as designated by Lyman's 49th Handloading Book. If the rifle is in good shooting condition, then yes. Not only can it shoot standard smokeless powder loads, it can shoot high pressure high velocity loads as Winchester intended from 1903 till 1941 when the 44 W.H.V. loads were discontinued.

HOWEVER with that said, ONLY YOU can decide if you want to shoot it or not.

I have a Marlin 1889 made in 1891 that is a Strong Action rifle, it is in great shape but I have no desire to shoot HV loads in it. It is a sentimental family heirloom and is retired from the hotrods.
    Last edited by Bryan Austin; 11-24-2020, 05:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomtom View Post
    Bryan I just found this thread and had to sign up to ask you a question.... I have an original Marlin 94 the made in 1906 (according to (s.n.) it's in great shape. Can I shoot modern Hornady loads or just stick with cowboy loads???
    I have had it for 28 and have not fired it.
    Well, tomtom, I'm not Bryan but I would encourage you to find a reliable gunsmith and have your gun inspected, then follow his recommendation.

SAAMI sets specs for ammo. Most modern ammo has been loaded down to shoot in older firearms.
    Too many redneck rubes will shove a .45-70 Gov't round into great grampa's old "Trap Door" Springfield, then want to get all bent out of shape when it blows up in their face.

Have it checked out.

Leave a comment:

• Tomtom
    replied
    Bryan I just found this thread and had to sign up to ask you a question.... I have an original Marlin 94 the made in 1906 (according to (s.n.) it's in great shape. Can I shoot modern Hornady loads or just stick with cowboy loads???
    I have had it for 28 and have not fired it.

Leave a comment:

• Bryan Austin
    replied

10-4 on the "YET"! LOL!
    LOL, I try hard!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Bryan Austin View Post

LOL, thanks, Ain't blown myself up yet!!!!
    10-4 on the "YET"! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Bryan Austin
    replied
    I would like to see a resurgence of some of those older calibers.

Hey Mr. Austin, glad to see you're still around.
    LOL, thanks, Ain't blown myself up yet!!!!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I would like to see a resurgence of some of those older calibers.

Hey Mr. Austin, glad to see you're still around.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
    I enjoyed it too. This is an old cartridge. By today's standards for good hunting rifles, this cartridge is "weak". At its time of origin bullet supply was limited in the wild west and shooters liked a cartridge they could use in both their pistol and rifle. Most shooting was conducted at relatively short range and we must remember that old time wisdom from cap and ball days was far superseded by this short range thumper. The repeating capability of the rifles added shooting power far beyond what was normally seen in the 1850-1899 time period.
    My Uncles Father had a 44-40 and he used to say load on Sunday and shoot all week.

Leave a comment:

• Bryan Austin
    replied
    https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...y-at-200-yards

Did this 200 yard target this morning with normal Winchester 73' loads.

Name:	10-17-2020-1.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	756238

Leave a comment:

• Bryan Austin
    replied
    I finally found the article.

Heavy Loads For The .44-40 M92 Winchester

Shooting Times, Feb 1973

by C George Charles

If these photos are not good enough to read, the have been uploaded to the 44-40 website.
    https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...m92-winchester
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bryan Austin
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	9-20-20-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.2 KB ID:	748135
    44-40 of course!
    I know this is only 50 yards but unfortunately the range I attend makes the shooter qualify first at the 50 yard range before being allowed to go to the 250 yard range.

This is my first target, first shots since February of this year. It is shot placement that counts right? I know, only 50 yards. Interestingly the first two shots where on target but the following 8 were slightly left. The following 10 shots where used on the qualifying target. All 10 shots placed slightly left as well but all (18) grouped 1 3/4". My next trip, I will visit the 250 yard range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9-20-20-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	748136

This is the second target and shots 11-20. As a reminder, this is the Uberti Winchester 73' with a replica Malcom scope. The scope makes a 50 yard target look to be about 25 yards. My eyes are not what they use to be. The 100 yard looks a bit smaller and anything further...well.....the peep sight might be a better option but I can do okay with it out to 265 yards. We'll find out in a few weeks I hope.

Below is the combo of the two targets. Not exactly worth any bragging rights but they are pretty consistent.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9-20-20-1&2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	748137

Click image for larger version  Name:	72639241_1334123863434860_7280193579329257472_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.6 KB ID:	748138

As a reminder, below is the 40 shot, 100 yard group imposed on a supposedly life size deer target. Realistic or not, it's fun.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	119884528_1596803863833524_2177270078609838928_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	501.2 KB ID:	748139

Leave a comment:

• Bryan Austin
    replied
    "... Originally posted by 99explorerView Post
    You don't break down both shoulders with a big pistol bullet. ..."

Depends on the velocity.
    .270 Win WILL take both shoulders.
    Absolutely...
    https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...velocity-loads

Leave a comment:

• Bryan Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    I was referring to Bryan's .44-40.
    You missed the point....it depends on velocity. Let me gear up the 44-40 with a 200gr JSP at 1,700fps and kaboom! 65 yards and he will be obliterated. Factory Winchester Super-X loads barely get 1,025fps in a 20" barrel.

WARNING: USE AT OWN RISK, FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY!

test load data
    https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...essure-testing
    Last edited by Bryan Austin; 09-09-2020, 08:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I was referring to Bryan's .44-40.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad