Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a 44-40 and why is it thought to be so weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    I would like to see a resurgence of some of those older calibers.

Hey Mr. Austin, glad to see you're still around.
    LOL, thanks, Ain't blown myself up yet!!!!
    44-40 WebSite

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan Austin View Post

LOL, thanks, Ain't blown myself up yet!!!!
      10-4 on the "YET"! LOL!

Comment

10-4 on the "YET"! LOL!
        LOL, I try hard!
        44-40 WebSite

Comment

Bryan I just found this thread and had to sign up to ask you a question.... I have an original Marlin 94 the made in 1906 (according to (s.n.) it's in great shape. Can I shoot modern Hornady loads or just stick with cowboy loads???
          I have had it for 28 and have not fired it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomtom View Post
            Bryan I just found this thread and had to sign up to ask you a question.... I have an original Marlin 94 the made in 1906 (according to (s.n.) it's in great shape. Can I shoot modern Hornady loads or just stick with cowboy loads???
            I have had it for 28 and have not fired it.
            Well, tomtom, I'm not Bryan but I would encourage you to find a reliable gunsmith and have your gun inspected, then follow his recommendation.

SAAMI sets specs for ammo. Most modern ammo has been loaded down to shoot in older firearms.
            Too many redneck rubes will shove a .45-70 Gov't round into great grampa's old "Trap Door" Springfield, then want to get all bent out of shape when it blows up in their face.

Have it checked out.

Comment

Well, tomtom, I'm not Bryan but I would encourage you to find a reliable gunsmith and have your gun inspected, then follow his recommendation.

SAAMI sets specs for ammo. Most modern ammo has been loaded down to shoot in older firearms.
              Too many redneck rubes will shove a .45-70 Gov't round into great grampa's old "Trap Door" Springfield, then want to get all bent out of shape when it blows up in their face.

Have it checked out.
              What he said.

In general, the the Marlin 94 is a Group II "strong action" rifle as designated by Lyman's 49th Handloading Book. If the rifle is in good shooting condition, then yes. Not only can it shoot standard smokeless powder loads, it can shoot high pressure high velocity loads as Winchester intended from 1903 till 1941 when the 44 W.H.V. loads were discontinued.

HOWEVER with that said, ONLY YOU can decide if you want to shoot it or not.

I have a Marlin 1889 made in 1891 that is a Strong Action rifle, it is in great shape but I have no desire to shoot HV loads in it. It is a sentimental family heirloom and is retired from the hotrods.
              Last edited by Bryan Austin; 11-24-2020, 05:37 PM.
              44-40 WebSite

Comment

I have been gathering 44-40 box codes for a while now for Winchester and Western 44-40 boxes. The codes have been broken and the dates reviled. The below link takes you to the doc file where I have the spreadsheet loaded. I am always updating the file.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1860800684

Also below are some screen shots of the data for those that don't like to click links.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	761268

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	761269

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	761267
                Attached Files
                44-40 WebSite

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to MSM Lying
                  by 99explorer
                  "Followers of QAnon have been left upset and angry in the wake of the apparent collapse of the conspiracy theory.

Followers had hoped...
                  Today, 06:55 PM
                • MSM Lying
                  by jhjimbo
                  The MSM keeps lying by saying all the Courts did not find any illegality and the Election was fair.

How do they know, not one Court...
                  01-17-2021, 03:58 PM
                • Reply to MSM Lying
                  by 99explorer
                  "Freshman Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, the Georgia Republican known for her association with the fantastical, cultlike QAnon conspiracy theory, was...
                  Today, 06:46 PM
                • Reply to MSM Lying
                  by 99explorer
                  As Trump departs office, reality sets in for QAnon cult.

https://news.yahoo.com/as-trump-depa...203125742.html

"
                  It’s...
                  Today, 06:35 PM
                • Reply to MSM Lying
                  by jhjimbo
                  Problem is, none of the Courts agreed to hear the case and see the evidence. You must be thick because that fact is widely known. The MSM reported their...
                  Today, 05:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X