Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a 44-40 and why is it thought to be so weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think an intentional spine shot is a little too close to the margin for a sure hit.
    I made a a spine shot once because of a deflected bullet (7x57 Mauser) and there were two holes in the hide. Entry and exit. No deflection.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
      I think an intentional spine shot is a little too close to the margin for a sure hit.
      I made a a spine shot once because of a deflected bullet (7x57 Mauser) and there were two holes in the hide. Entry and exit. No deflection.
      Kinda messes up some meat too but it beats chasing one into the swamp.
      44-40 WebSite

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan Austin View Post

Kinda messes up some meat too but it beats chasing one into the swamp.
        Midway between back line and elbow, center of shoulder.
        You break down both shoulders, disrupt the CNS and destroy both lungs.
        99.9% of the time, D.I.R.T.
        Dead! Instantly! Right There!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

It was close enough
          44-40 WebSite

Comment

You don't break down both shoulders with a big pistol bullet.

Comment

You don't break down both shoulders with a big pistol bullet.
              Didn't need to ;-) It was a big hollow point, a hard cast LRNFP "RIFLE" bullet will go all the way. When that hollow point opened up to nearly 1 inch in diameter....boom, just a big parachute!

Only needed one shoulder in this case...the deer is dead and the meat has long been eat! Anything else is overkill!
              Last edited by Bryan Austin; 01-23-2020, 07:30 PM.
              44-40 WebSite

Comment

"... Originally posted by 99explorerView Post
                You don't break down both shoulders with a big pistol bullet. ..."

Depends on the velocity.
                .270 Win WILL take both shoulders.

Comment

I was referring to Bryan's .44-40.

Comment

I was referring to Bryan's .44-40.
                    You missed the point....it depends on velocity. Let me gear up the 44-40 with a 200gr JSP at 1,700fps and kaboom! 65 yards and he will be obliterated. Factory Winchester Super-X loads barely get 1,025fps in a 20" barrel.

WARNING: USE AT OWN RISK, FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY!

test load data
                    https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...essure-testing
                    Last edited by Bryan Austin; 09-09-2020, 07:37 AM.
                    44-40 WebSite

Comment

"... Originally posted by 99explorerView Post
                      You don't break down both shoulders with a big pistol bullet. ..."

Depends on the velocity.
                      .270 Win WILL take both shoulders.
                      Absolutely...
                      https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...velocity-loads
                      44-40 WebSite

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	9-20-20-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.2 KB ID:	748135
                        44-40 of course!
                        I know this is only 50 yards but unfortunately the range I attend makes the shooter qualify first at the 50 yard range before being allowed to go to the 250 yard range.

This is my first target, first shots since February of this year. It is shot placement that counts right? I know, only 50 yards. Interestingly the first two shots where on target but the following 8 were slightly left. The following 10 shots where used on the qualifying target. All 10 shots placed slightly left as well but all (18) grouped 1 3/4". My next trip, I will visit the 250 yard range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9-20-20-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	748136

This is the second target and shots 11-20. As a reminder, this is the Uberti Winchester 73' with a replica Malcom scope. The scope makes a 50 yard target look to be about 25 yards. My eyes are not what they use to be. The 100 yard looks a bit smaller and anything further...well.....the peep sight might be a better option but I can do okay with it out to 265 yards. We'll find out in a few weeks I hope.

Below is the combo of the two targets. Not exactly worth any bragging rights but they are pretty consistent.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9-20-20-1&2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	748137

Click image for larger version  Name:	72639241_1334123863434860_7280193579329257472_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.6 KB ID:	748138

As a reminder, below is the 40 shot, 100 yard group imposed on a supposedly life size deer target. Realistic or not, it's fun.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	119884528_1596803863833524_2177270078609838928_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	501.2 KB ID:	748139
                        44-40 WebSite

Comment

I finally found the article.

Heavy Loads For The .44-40 M92 Winchester

Shooting Times, Feb 1973

by C George Charles

If these photos are not good enough to read, the have been uploaded to the 44-40 website.
                          https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...m92-winchester
                          Attached Files
                          44-40 WebSite

Comment

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...y-at-200-yards

Did this 200 yard target this morning with normal Winchester 73' loads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-17-2020-1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	756238
                            44-40 WebSite

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                              I enjoyed it too. This is an old cartridge. By today's standards for good hunting rifles, this cartridge is "weak". At its time of origin bullet supply was limited in the wild west and shooters liked a cartridge they could use in both their pistol and rifle. Most shooting was conducted at relatively short range and we must remember that old time wisdom from cap and ball days was far superseded by this short range thumper. The repeating capability of the rifles added shooting power far beyond what was normally seen in the 1850-1899 time period.
                              My Uncles Father had a 44-40 and he used to say load on Sunday and shoot all week.

Comment

I would like to see a resurgence of some of those older calibers.

Hey Mr. Austin, glad to see you're still around.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad