Sad state of affairs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad state of affairs.

Recently visited my youngest in S. Texas.
    Wearing your uniform, except on duty, is "dangerous"!
    Who (people my age?) would have thought that a respected LEO, especially a Fed LEO, in a service uniform would be subject to ridicule, revenge and attack simply because of their "uniform" and department of employment?
    It is the norm for those people to wear civies to work and "suit up", so to speak, before going on duty.
    Sadly, even those in "civies" are pretty darn evident!
    This has become the "norm" also in just about every LEO organization in the U.S..

Kind of a vague complaint.
    The story would be improved with a few details.
    Just sayin.'

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
      Just sayin.'
      What's vague?
      Wearing their uniform to work opens off duty Fed LEO's to ridicule, abuse and even revenge.
      On duty, they always travel in groups. More for safety's sake (strength in numbers) than anything else.
      Off duty, which also means on the way to work or home, an agent is just another armed citizen, not a LEO.

Comment

It is not the "norm" anywhere I have lived in the U.S., for a LEO to be subject to "ridicule, revenge and attack" while in uniform.
        That would be grounds for arrest.

Comment

It is not the "norm" anywhere I have lived in the U.S., for a LEO to be subject to "ridicule, revenge and attack" while in uniform.
          That would be grounds for arrest.
          Good.
          Then YOU don't have a problem.

Comment

When I lived in NYC a long time ago, I knew a young NYPD rookie patrolman who lived with his parents around the block from me.
            One dark summer night when he was coming home from his shift in uniform, he was jumped by a gang of big teen-aged neighborhood kids that he grew up with, and they dragged him into a vacant lot where, as a practical joke, they stripped him of his uniform, badge, gun and nightstick, and left him to walk the rest of the way home and ring his parents doorbell, standing in his underwear.
            Because he knew the names of the kids, he and his father were able to visit their houses to collect his belongings.
            You can bet their parents gave them holy hell for pulling a stunt like that, where they could have been killed.
            That is a true story, and I offer it as an example of abuse, WITH DETAILS.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

What's vague?
              Wearing their uniform to work opens off duty Fed LEO's to ridicule, abuse and even revenge.
              On duty, they always travel in groups. More for safety's sake (strength in numbers) than anything else.
              Off duty, which also means on the way to work or home, an agent is just another armed citizen, not a LEO.
              Wrong Bubba, an off-duty is not just a citizen, he is an off-duty LEO. Many Depts. require him to carry a firearm. Very different person in the eyes of the Law.

Comment

LEOs have murder rates far below those of many major cities and job related death rates far below common jobs like trucking and agriculture. We hear that cops deserve respect for putting their lives on the line eveyday when actually their jobs are pretty safe.
                As for ridicule and harassment, well, our government (especially federal) is a hot mess full of bad laws. If you're the one who upholds all that, maybe you do deserve criticism. I don't believe in agentism, if a law is wrong, and you enforce it, you are guilty of that wrong yourself. "Bound to uphold the law" was tried at Nuremberg, didn't hold water then and doesn't hold water now.

Comment

HF - Law enforcement officers in this country do not have the privilege of deciding which laws they will enforce, based on their personal opinion as to their constitutionality.
                  "We are a nation off laws, not of men." - John Adams.

Comment

HF - Law enforcement officers in this country do not have the privilege of deciding which laws they will enforce, based on their personal opinion as to their constitutionality.
                    "We are a nation off laws, not of men." - John Adams.
                    Constitutionality is irrelevant. It is a question of universal morals. The holocaust may have been perfectly legal under all German law, yet the fact that it was law was and is no excuse as demonstrated by tge Nuremberg trials.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonious Fulmination View Post

Constitutionality is irrelevant. It is a question of universal morals. The holocaust may have been perfectly legal under all German law, yet the fact that it was law was and is no excuse as demonstrated by tge Nuremberg trials.
                      I thought you were a Constitutionalist, now you’re a Globalist? Anarchist?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I thought you were a Constitutionalist, now you’re a Globalist? Anarchist?

I'm not an anarchist, I just expect people to exercise conscience first. I simply believe no law or agreement overrides pre-existing moral obligations.

Comment

Fair enough.

However ridicule and harassment have nothing to do with criticism. Morally two wrongs don't make a right either.

Comment

HF - The Holocaust was never "perfectly legal under all German law," which is why it was kept secret.
                            Where do you get this stuff?

Comment

Just sayin.'
                              Blog cop?
                              Self appointed editor?
                              Bite me!
                              My post. I'll post as I please.
                              Don't like it?
                              Don't participate!
                              Just sayin'.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clan of the Cave Bear
                                by MattM37
                                Have any of you read this? All I remembered was the cheeseball movie starring Darryl Hannah, but on a whim I grabbed the paperback yesterday from the...
                                Today, 07:55 PM
                              • Reply to Clan of the Cave Bear
                                by FirstBubba
                                Just completed "Angels in the Sky" by Robert Gandt.
                                How a band of volunteer airmen saved the new state of Israel.

"The...
                                Today, 09:39 PM
                              • Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                                by Gvanwage
                                Someone please school me on this!

I am in the market for a 300 WinMag and totally new to the caliber/cartridge. I love the Look, feel,...
                                Yesterday, 01:18 PM
                              • Reply to Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                                by PAShooter
                                I have read where shooters have had success with 200 gr. Accubonds and 200 gr ELDX in the 1-11 twist Tikka. There are some fine bullets in the 30 caliber...
                                Today, 05:10 PM
                              • Contaminants
                                by MattM37
                                How are the waters in your area? Do you get to each much fresh fish?

Most of my local waters aren't even listed on the state health...
                                Today, 04:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X