Mid West Floods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid West Floods

It seems the Mid West floods every year. Has that always been the case or is this something rather new ?

I remember major flooding in Iowa in 1993, I think it was.

Nothing here but a layman in my understanding of such things, but isn't it often the case that a bout of major flooding opens the door for more flooding? Loss of riverside growth, root systems in the ground, everything that controls erosion ... it doesn't have time to re-establish itself before another season of melting snow and spring rains, so it just becomes a cycle. I don't know; I think I read that somewhere.

Comment

I don't know, I could not live in a place where every year it floods. One place was said to be 40' over flood stage. I had a 500 year flood 5 years ago that was 18" for an hour or two and I thought the world was coming to an end. Can't imagine what these people are going through. I have heard the Mississippi did not flood until the Corps of Engineers started messing with the channels.

Comment

I would have to say that this is new. The wet weather seems to be getting worst. Around my place we never got flooded out and now just this past year we got flooded out a couple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
          I would have to say that this is new. The wet weather seems to be getting worst. Around my place we never got flooded out and now just this past year we got flooded out a couple times.
          I have a corn field that I am going to have to abandon this year, last year about 1/4 of it only grew knee high and never produced. Now with the snow gone I can clearly see why. There is a perfect line right where the bad stuff started. On the side that produced it is dry, ob the side that didn't it is mud. It is relatively flat ground on top of a hill. I have never seen anything like it, last year we had record rainfall.

Comment

For all my life I have never seen a 5gal (empty) bucket get full in 2hrs with rain. This past year I did. The streets where rivers and a small creek became a flash flood where it pulled cars into it and flooded out people in a couple restaurants. Guess it’s a first for everything.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clan of the Cave Bear
              by MattM37
              Have any of you read this? All I remembered was the cheeseball movie starring Darryl Hannah, but on a whim I grabbed the paperback yesterday from the...
              Today, 07:55 PM
            • Reply to Clan of the Cave Bear
              by FirstBubba
              Just completed "Angels in the Sky" by Robert Gandt.
              How a band of volunteer airmen saved the new state of Israel.

"The...
              Today, 09:39 PM
            • Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
              by Gvanwage
              Someone please school me on this!

I am in the market for a 300 WinMag and totally new to the caliber/cartridge. I love the Look, feel,...
              Yesterday, 01:18 PM
            • Reply to Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
              by PAShooter
              I have read where shooters have had success with 200 gr. Accubonds and 200 gr ELDX in the 1-11 twist Tikka. There are some fine bullets in the 30 caliber...
              Today, 05:10 PM
            • Contaminants
              by MattM37
              How are the waters in your area? Do you get to each much fresh fish?

Most of my local waters aren't even listed on the state health...
              Today, 04:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X