Classes for the Outdoors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classes for the Outdoors

Ever take a class or workshop for something related to hunting and fishing, like fly-casting, orienteering, canoeing ....? How'd you like it?

Maybe not exactly what you are asking Matt, but a small private college in my home town has a bass fishing team and a rowing team, for which the college just built a $3,000,000 facility. My DIL has a connection to the college and stated these colleges of today need to have these programs and facilities in order to get students. Seems to be a long way from the oroginal concept of these teaching institutions ! When I was of college age, there were no such programs, so I have no info on how I liked it. Or maybe I should have said that at first, eh ?

Comment

I took a class in Turkey hunting and Coyote hunting. Both were well worth the time. Our Club has a policy you have to take an instruction class for any discipline you choose to participate in. I have taken several including for Full Auto shoots.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        I took a class in Turkey hunting and Coyote hunting. Both were well worth the time. Our Club has a policy you have to take an instruction class for any discipline you choose to participate in. I have taken several including for Full Auto shoots.
        I never knew there were general hunting classes for a species. Sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          Maybe not exactly what you are asking Matt, but a small private college in my home town has a bass fishing team and a rowing team, for which the college just built a $3,000,000 facility. My DIL has a connection to the college and stated these colleges of today need to have these programs and facilities in order to get students. Seems to be a long way from the oroginal concept of these teaching institutions ! When I was of college age, there were no such programs, so I have no info on how I liked it. Or maybe I should have said that at first, eh ?
          My college had a general outing club that did hikes and campouts in the Green, White, and Adirondack Mountains, but nothing more specific. I did a few of their trips but never joined officially because they were mostly a bunch of stoners, and the girls in the club wore patchouli and didn't shave their legs or armpits, though they were fun to talk to. As for the weed, I never liked weed to begin with but most definitely didn't want any out in the woods!

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I never knew there were general hunting classes for a species. Sounds interesting.
            The Turkey class was given by the State, the Coyote class was given by reps from FoxPro.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

The Turkey class was given by the State, the Coyote class was given by reps from FoxPro.
              I've read that New York "Becoming an Outdoorswoman" has been pretty successful. Still have yet to actually see a woman out hunting, but then I'm usually not on public land during deer season and only infrequently during turkey.

Comment

I've read that New York "Becoming an Outdoorswoman" has been pretty successful. Still have yet to actually see a woman out hunting, but then I'm usually not on public land during deer season and only infrequently during turkey.
                My daughter, two cousin's (and counting) plus their youngest aunt all getting into it. Almost half the students of the Hunter Ed classes I teach are female.

A number of years ago a group of guys met at a friend's place for a late November deer hunt. The host decided it was too cold to go out but his 8 month pregnant wife joined us, her bare belly sticking out from her coat. They aren't married now.

Comment

A Sister lives in the Adirondacks and she hunts deer and bear. Mostly deer on her own land. Remington 721 30-06. Gets a deer almost every year.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

My daughter, two cousin's (and counting) plus their youngest aunt all getting into it. Almost half the students of the Hunter Ed classes I teach are female.

A number of years ago a group of guys met at a friend's place for a late November deer hunt. The host decided it was too cold to go out but his 8 month pregnant wife joined us, her bare belly sticking out from her coat. They aren't married now.
                    🤔I wander why 😂

Comment

The only thing I have done similar to this was in 2010. I went to a seminar on blue tounge, EHD that the game commission held.

Comment

There is a concentrated effort now called R3. Recruitment, retention and reactivation.
                        I was one of the early supporters of the BOW classes here in Iowa and am currently involved with a local group called Edible Outdoors as a range safety officer and shooting instructor.
                        We should all do as much as reasonably possible to encourage folks to be active in the great outdoors. It is one of those things that has the capacity to offer great benefit for all !!
                        Last edited by springerman3; 03-25-2019, 12:06 AM.

Comment

I've participated in a high power rifle clinic at our range. It was a CPM style of instruction oriented towards using service rifles in competition. At the time, I was using an M1 Garand for the monthly matches. The shooting skills I developed in competition greatly helped with making confident shots in the field. Of special help was learning proper technique for standing off-hand shots. Most of my shooting at game is from an unsupported standing position.

Here's a link to the CPM clinics.
                          http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-n...ecial-clinics/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Do you use a walking stick?
                            by PigHunter
                            Do you use a walking stick when you hike? If so, what do you prefer? Is it something you've made or is it store-bought?

Do you use trekking...
                            07-18-2019, 12:33 PM
                          • Reply to Do you use a walking stick?
                            by Ontario Honker Hunter
                            Flagging tape holds a knot better than slippery paracord (which isn't saying much because that crap won't hold a knot worth beans). It's not as strong...
                            Today, 08:07 AM
                          • Hijacked tankers
                            by jhjimbo
                            Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                            Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                          • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                            by FirstBubba
                            Let's not forget the chant, "Death to America!", burning American flags and presidential effigys.
                            Irans' burning desire to wipe Israel...
                            Today, 07:58 AM
                          • News Flash
                            by jhjimbo
                            anybody worth $15.00 an hour is probably already making $15.00 an hour.
                            Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X