Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spare car key

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spare car key

    How many of you fellas keep a spare car key somewhere outside the car in the event of being locked out, or it could be said, the keys locked in ! This being when away from home.
    Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 03-14-2019, 04:36 PM.

  • #2
    I don't, but my car key is always on a well-knotted paracord lanyard around my neck. As soon as I take it out of the ignition, it goes around my neck and inside my tucked-in shirt. Short of being mauled and having it forcibly torn off me, or maybe being tossed about in a raging river, the key will be there when I get back to the car.

    (Some like to say that paracord is too slippery to hold knots. It all depends on the kind of knot. I find that a paracord knot, pulled tight, can't hardly be undone without a pick. I tied two bowlines to the split ring on my key about ten years ago, and they haven't ever loosened one iota.)

    Comment


    • #3
      I have in the past and made sure all who hunted with me knew the spare key location. If someone has to drive for help, its a real pain to have to go back for the key. Using a combination of key safes, one to open the door and another hidden inside to start engine makes it reasonably secure.

      Comment


      • #4
        Agree about the paracord knots, Matt. If you can tie a knot, then you can tie a knot in paracord that won't come loose. I have several around duck calls and hunting horns that have lasted for years.
        Now, about the key. I have a magnetic box that sticks under the frame of my 2003 Super Duty, and has never come loose or been lost through flood, mud, or rough country. Really rough country, that shakes your eyeballs loose. The spare P/U key and the spare gas cap key just ride there until needed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
          Agree about the paracord knots, Matt. If you can tie a knot, then you can tie a knot in paracord that won't come loose. I have several around duck calls and hunting horns that have lasted for years.
          Now, about the key. I have a magnetic box that sticks under the frame of my 2003 Super Duty, and has never come loose or been lost through flood, mud, or rough country. Really rough country, that shakes your eyeballs loose. The spare P/U key and the spare gas cap key just ride there until needed.
          Exactly CRM ! Mine has been there over 5 years, also holds an extra house key which has saved me a couple of times also. I also like Matt’s idea, just thought the magneric box a bit easier for me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RockySquirrel_2 View Post
            I have in the past and made sure all who hunted with me knew the spare key location. If someone has to drive for help, its a real pain to have to go back for the key. Using a combination of key safes, one to open the door and another hidden inside to start engine makes it reasonably secure.
            The safety aspect of that when hunting with others is excellent idea 💡 if another hunter in the group needs entery to go for help. I am sure that is not thought of by everyone !

            Comment


            • #7
              Since I hunt private land, I don't lock my truck and I drop the keys in the shifter console. Everybody I hunt with, including the landowner, knows where the keys are...just in case!
              None of my vehicles requires an electronic key and there is a copy of both keys in my wallet.
              I locked myself out of my vehicle ONE TIME! That was enough!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

                The safety aspect of that when hunting with others is excellent idea 💡 if another hunter in the group needs entery to go for help. I am sure that is not thought of by everyone !
                When parking my vehicles at home at night, I never lock the doors. I just don't see any sense in a thief beating the windows out.
                Who would steal a beat up 20 year old diesel truck?
                The other truck is 25 years old ...and LOOKS it!

                Comment


                • #9
                  When we go on long trips we bring the spare set. One will stay with the driver. Then one goes to another. They stay on us. Other than that my spare set stays at home. If I need them then I’m hitching a ride.
                  Last edited by Solitario Lupo; 03-14-2019, 06:55 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A fad years ago was a hidden kill switch. The engine would crank but no ignition.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My sedan has an external keypad to use as a backup for entry. For the 4x4, a spare key is always in my hunting pack.

                      Comment

                      Welcome!

                      Collapse

                      Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                      If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                      And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                      Right Rail 1

                      Collapse

                      Top Active Users

                      Collapse

                      There are no top active users.

                      Right Rail 2

                      Collapse

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Right Rail 3

                      Collapse

                      Footer Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X