Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise control feature on steering wheel.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise control feature on steering wheel.

I stopped using mine years ago when I found that I was always driving either too fast or too slow for my comfort level.
    How about you?

99, that's one of the more ignorant things I've ever seen you post. On most vehicles, the cruise control can be adjusted in 1 mph increments with just a momentary press of the increase or decrease buttons.

Today, I drove for almost 5 hours round trip to visit a client. Mostly on 2-lane roads, with none of it on an Interstate. I used the cruise control for about 1/2 the trip.

Comment

PH - I like to keep my eyes on the road ahead and regulate the speed with my foot, rather than fiddling with buttons.
      I am not as far advanced into technology as you are.
      I also carry my cell phone in the off position, and save it for emergencies.
      I don't use the text feature at all.
      My mother didn't raise any dumb children.

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_control#History

Really? You don't use a cell phone except for emergencies? Only in the car or is that everywhere?

Comment

I use cruise unless in city or heavy traffic.
          I've driven multiple vehicles with cruise.
          The + button adds 2 mph.
          The - button takes off 1 mph.
          Cruise gives you the best mileage and helps maintain a constant speed.
          If anything irritates me, it's the Gomer who drives 45mph up hill and 80mph down hill.
          ...but to not use your cruise because it's too fast or slow for your comfort level means:
          A. you don't know how to set your cruise
          B. you don't need to be driving

As for cell phone usage, I keep mine charging in the vehicle. Texting means I pull off the road.

Comment

It's divided 4 lane between cities around here so I wouldn't own a vehicle without it. I love my cruise control and it loves me.

Comment

I have talked to people who claim the use of cruise is dangerous. I feel if that is their thought, it is not the cruise, it is them that are dangerous. I don’t know when cruise was first implemented, but it was one of the very important features installed. I use mine all the time where speed limits are closely monitored, and when others use it, it keeps traffic flowing at a much more even pace. I can not believe some drivers do not make use of this device, boo on them !!!

Comment

Richard, modern cruise control based on drive shaft rotation has been on cars for over 60 years. Check out the Wikipedia link I posted in one of my other responses.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  Richard, modern cruise control based on drive shaft rotation has been on cars for over 60 years. Check out the Wikipedia link I posted in one of my other responses.
                  Interesting article PH. I had no idea speed control went back that many years. The disadvantages that were mentioned I do not agree with, I would think they would all be negated through the use of the brake which would be called for under the mentioned conditions !

Comment

Part of the issue with cruise control is reaction time if you've moved your foot away from the brake pedal. For instance, I was traveling through wooded areas on back roads yesterday. It's reasonable to think a deer could decide to run in front of me. At 60 mph, a reaction delay of just 1/2 second means I would have traveled 44 feet further before taking action. Is that enough to make a difference? Apparently people like 99 think it does.

Comment

PH - Ask Bubba. I think he has admitted to hitting five deer on the road.

Comment

One feature I use regularly is the directional signals, not just at intersections, but when changing lanes.
                        And I don't flash oncoming drivers with my headlights to warn them of traffic cops up ahead. I guess I relate more to law enforcement than to the speeders.

Comment

Well, isn't that just special. Based on this thread, I'm guessing you're at least 75 years old...

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                            PH - Ask Bubba. I think he has admitted to hitting five deer on the road.
                            First deer hit was standing on the left side of the road. I kept booking it. She decided to cross back.
                            Unless I had braked very hard when I first saw her, I still would have hit her.
                            Considerable damage to my vehicle.

Numbers 2 & 3 weren't a big deal. Number 2 ran off, number 3 I braked but still connected enough to kill him. Only lost the left shoulder. Everything else was edible.

Number 4 was pretty traumatic.
                            Dodge 2500 pick up.
                            I'm running about 45mph in 4th gear when 2 deer crossed the road in front of us.
                            I watched those two when the wife blurted out an unspeakable. I looked back just in time to see the deer disappear at the right headlight.
                            The impact was hard enough to set off the steering wheel air bag and we could feel the front and back tires pass over her.
                            I lost my grip on the steering wheel and was fighting the deflated air bag and to keep the truck between the ditches.
                            Once I regained control of the truck, probably 1.5 to 2 seconds after impact, I braked to a stop.
                            Wife and me both had bruises from the seat belts.
                            I've experienced a head-on car wreck. Hitting this deer is number 2 on my lost as traumatic.
                            Of the deer I've hit and killed, I'm not sure anything short of a miracle could have prevented it.

One REALLY close call.
                            My eldest had been to the doctor. Not feeling well, we rolled the windows down and we were enjoying the cool evening breeze.
                            About dusky dark, we started through a creek bottom and I caught deer standing on the right side of the road. I started braking when they decided they needed to be on the OTHER side of the road.
                            I missed them, but it was a bit nerve racking to realize we could hear the click of their hooves on the pavement!

Comment

I hit a pig of about 100 pounds with my 1 ton dually.
                              Don't know how much any of you know about a Cummins diesel engine, but it's one HEAVY motor scooter!
                              It raised the left front wheel off the road when I hit her. I also felt it when the left duals rolled over her. I thought my ATV trailer was going to flip!
                              When I went back to check, the 10 pound piglet that squirted out in the road in front of her was in the right rut, squished flat.
                              I never did find her!
                              There was about a 200 acre grass pasture on both sides of the road.
                              I never even saw buzzards!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                                Today, 10:41 AM
                              • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                                Today, 06:43 PM
                              • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                                by buckhunter
                                Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                                Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                              • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                                by Solitario Lupo
                                So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                                Today, 06:20 PM
                              • Peripheral Vision
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                                Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X