Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[COLOR=#FFFF00][QUOTE=JasonT

this is some crazy stuff but creative.[/COLOR]

I did very unintentionally, set a snake trap once. Didn't know what I was doing, but it worked out that I caught more snakes than I could deal with. I had set a minnow trap, baited with bread, but had left a small section of the trap out of the water. When this happens, every snake within about a ten mile radius comes to steal your minnows and crawdads out of the trap. There were the regular old stinky water snakes, and maybe two or three real cottonmouths, and even one of those green and black striped little snakes, with the white dot on their head. All balled up in my minnow trap.
    We tried burying the thing in the creek sand, after about three hours, all the snakes seemed to be real lively. Plugged both ends, threw the thing into deep water to drown them. Same result. Snakes don't seem to drown easily.
    Finally, my Grandmother, tired of the situation, grabbed her hoe, and told me to get my .410, and come on. We very carefully got the trap open and killed snakes 'til there wern't no more snakes to kill. Nanny got most of them with the hoe, and I shot the heads off the cottonmouths with the .410. Final count was twenty-seven snakes in one minnow trap. I never set another one that was not completely underwater.

Comment

[QUOTE=crm3006;n705770][COLOR=#FFFF00]
      Originally posted by JasonT

this is some crazy stuff but creative.[/COLOR

I did very unintentionally, set a snake trap once. Didn't know what I was doing, but it worked out that I caught more snakes than I could deal with. I had set a minnow trap, baited with bread, but had left a small section of the trap out of the water. When this happens, every snake within about a ten mile radius comes to steal your minnows and crawdads out of the trap. There were the regular old stinky water snakes, and maybe two or three real cottonmouths, and even one of those green and black striped little snakes, with the white dot on their head. All balled up in my minnow trap.
      We tried burying the thing in the creek sand, after about three hours, all the snakes seemed to be real lively. Plugged both ends, threw the thing into deep water to drown them. Same result. Snakes don't seem to drown easily.
      Finally, my Grandmother, tired of the situation, grabbed her hoe, and told me to get my .410, and come on. We very carefully got the trap open and killed snakes 'til there wern't no more snakes to kill. Nanny got most of them with the hoe, and I shot the heads off the cottonmouths with the .410. Final count was twenty-seven snakes in one minnow trap. I never set another one that was not completely underwater.

If it was me that minnow trap would still be right where I put it.

Comment

JasonT- I was a ranch raised 12 or 13 year old kid, with little to no income, and that was my only minnow trap. Wasn't about to let a bunch of stinkin' snakes get by with taking over my minnow trap, No Sirree, bobtail! I was getting my trap back, come hell or high water!

Comment

Just saw a video on Twitter of a 50' Anaconda swimming in a Brazil river.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad