Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday Morning Trivia Time! Caliber and Rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
    fitch270- I don't know the circumstances under which Ruark would have shot at a buffalo with an '06, I just recalled it this morning when I was trying to come up with a trivia topic. Read it somewhere in either something Harry Selby wrote, or possibly "Horn of the Hunter" or "Use Enough Gun", or something else one of them (Ruark and Selby) wrote. I've read and re-read everything I could get my hands on by both of them.
    "The Old Man and the Boy" was brought up so many times on here that I must have mentioned it to my wife a few years back, and she gave me a copy of it that Father's Day. Great gift, and my boy read it last year. Think I need to drop some hints about "Horn of the Hunter" soon..

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      He had a Remington in 30-06 he favored so that is my guess. He sure did not live long - died at 60 years old.
      A man can get a lot of good living in in 60 years Jimbo, living those years in the wilds on wonderful hunts. It’s the guys who live until 90 and never do anything that I feel badly for !

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Dang, I could have got in on that roundup, but I had peeked so it would have been cheating.

CRM, any chance you know the actual story behind it? Possibly a target of opportunity with the ‘06 in hand?
        I have attended some rattle snake round ups in Texas. Lots of action.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I have attended some rattle snake round ups in Texas. Lots of action.
          Where you high 😂

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
            Im not sure when this occured so i'm gonna guess a model 742 semi auto in 30-06?
            Since I am not very knowledgeable about guns, maybe I am speaking BS here, but it would seem unlikely in the hunting of dangerous big game like cape buffalo, that an experienced hunter would use a semi-auto firearm ! I would think a less apt to malfunction weapon such as a bolt action or double barrel would be more often used. A semi-auto would be about as useless as a club in the event of a malfunction !
            Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 03-03-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Most African countries do not allow semi automatic rifles for hunting big game. Fitch, Mark took the photo while we were discussing where to place a leopard bait. He always liked the look of my Rand custom hat. He was a great PH and I have had many individuals to compare him to. That particular trip was 35 days in the field. We covered some of the great Tanzania concessions together. God rest his soul. As I recall I took several Cape Buffalo and other great trophies. A real adventure with no mishaps until the end. Inside the Arusha airport an Italian hunter accidentally touched off his 375 he had forgotten to unload. The round traveled through one empty seat and four lines of travelers, then blew out an airport window. Did not hit a soul but certainly emptied the airport in a hurry.. needless to say all planes left late.

Comment

Jason T- Ruark's first safari rifle selection was a Winchester Model 70 in .220 Swift, the above mentioned Remington 721 in .30-'06, a Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H Magnum, and a Westly-Richards double rifle in .470 NE. He also included a shotgun, but I don't know if this was his 16 gauge double, or another weapon.
                Harry Selby's main rifle was a standard action Mauser chambered for .416 Rigby, that he aquired after having a prized and expensive super-grade Rigby double .470 ruined while on safari. A hunting car ran over it and bent the barrels. Curiously, Selby's Rigby .416 was a right handed action, but Selby himself shot left handed. He said in an interview years later that he wouldn't know how to operate a left handed rifle!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do I Know ???
                  by jhjimbo
                  You are smoking some bad weed.
                  Today, 03:42 AM
                • How Do I Know ???
                  by jhjimbo
                  How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
                  Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                  by 99explorer
                  To answer Rock Rat's question, I would say that Joe Biden would be the least objectionable candidate of the Democratic group.
                  In fact, he is the
                  Yesterday, 11:55 PM
                  by 99explorer
                  I'll say this for Rock Rat - I may not agree with him, but he has done a very thorough analysis, and has thought things through, which is more than I...
                  Yesterday, 11:32 PM
                  by jhjimbo
                  Rat, You are way off on your characterization of the candidates. In answer to your question there is not one I consider right for the Country at this...
                  Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X