Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday Morning Trivia Time! Caliber and Rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Morning Trivia Time! Caliber and Rifle?

Today, our trivia question concerns the African Cape Buffalo. Call him mbogo, call him nyati, most will agree that the Cape buffalo is the most dangerous of the African Big Five. The late Robert Ruark, who was a fair to middelin’ hunter, and a great story teller, confessed that he got highly nervous hunting mbogo. A lot of his hunting success was due to using Harry Selby as a PH. Mr. Selby was a great hunter and guide, and was known for his veracity and “just the facts, Ma’am” style. Ruark once shot a Cape Buffalo with a rifle and caliber unheard of for use on buffalo, but according to Selby, the buff dropped like a stone.
    What was the caliber and model of rifle that Ruark shot that buffalo with?

I heard of Roy Weatherby killing a Cape Buffalo with a 257 Weatherby, so that will be my guess here. No clue on the rifle, but I guess it it were by chance a 257 then it would probably be a Weatherby Mark V.
    Last edited by Harmonious Fulmination; 03-02-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Getting real tired........obituaries..jpg
Views:	93
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	704909

Comment

He had a Remington in 30-06 he favored so that is my guess. He sure did not live long - died at 60 years old.
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 03-02-2019, 08:40 PM. Reason: Correction: I think he was born in 1915 and died in 1965, so 50 years old is correct. Cirrhosis of the liver. Must have drank a lot to poison a liver in 50 years.

Comment

Model of the Remington? .30-'06 is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
            Model of the Remington? .30-'06 is correct.
            It was a early one so I would say a 721, the same rifle my Sister uses in the Adirondacks.

Comment

On Ruark's last safari, he brought two rifles, a .275 Rigby Mauser and a .450/400 Nitro Express double rifle, both of which were previously owned by Karamojo Bell.
              I'm guessing it would be one of those.

Comment

Im not sure when this occured so i'm gonna guess a model 742 semi auto in 30-06?

Comment

Ruark owned a Remington 721 in 06, but I do not recall his taking a Buffalo with it. Point of interest, I had lunch with Harry Selby once and his son Mark was my PH on two safaris. Both now passed away. As a matter of fact Mark Selby took the photo of me to the left in my app
                  Last edited by Happy Myles; 03-02-2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Jimbo wins the non expense paid trip to the rattlesnake round up in Podunk, OK! Remington 721 is correct. What in the world was he thinking? Click image for larger version  Name:	Remington 721.png Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	704929
                    Last edited by crm3006; 03-02-2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Happy, I read about Ruark taking the buff with the '06 somewhere in Harry Selby's memoirs. It was a very brief comment by Selby on silly stuff that happened on various safaris. I would bet serious money that Selby was there with the .416 Rigby as a backup when that happened.

Comment

Jimbo wins the non expense paid trip to the rattlesnake round up in Podunk, OK! Remington 721 is correct. What in the world was he thinking? Click image for larger version Name:	Remington 721.png Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	704929
                        There have been a few of those ‘bad boys’ killed with archery equipment, so why not with a 06 ? I would suppose there would be something ‘puckered’ up pretty good with a bow in hand !!

Comment

Jimbo wins the non expense paid trip to the rattlesnake round up in Podunk, OK! Remington 721 is correct. What in the world was he thinking? Click image for larger version Name:	Remington 721.png Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	704929
                          Dang, I could have got in on that roundup, but I had peeked so it would have been cheating.

CRM, any chance you know the actual story behind it? Possibly a target of opportunity with the ‘06 in hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                            Ruark owned a Remington 721 in 06, but I do not recall his taking a Buffalo with it. Point of interest, I had lunch with Harry Selby once and his son Mark was my PH on two safaris. Both now passed away. As a matter of fact Mark Selby took the photo of me to the left in my app
                            Mr. Myles, I’ve always thought there must be a story behind that photo, care to share with us please?

Comment

fitch270- I don't know the circumstances under which Ruark would have shot at a buffalo with an '06, I just recalled it this morning when I was trying to come up with a trivia topic. Read it somewhere in either something Harry Selby wrote, or possibly "Horn of the Hunter" or "Use Enough Gun", or something else one of them (Ruark and Selby) wrote. I've read and re-read everything I could get my hands on by both of them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad