Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Trump went to Vietnam!

Finally.

I registered for selective service in 74. By then no one was getting called up. I think by about 71 or so, no draftees were being sent to Vietnam. I had no worries. I do remember when I was about 12 years old and some of my brother's high school buds were getting killed. The war seemed to be getting hotter all the time, and no end in sight, I figured out that I could get drafted in six or so years, I didn't want to go die.

For guys of that time, what you did about Vietnam mattered. Some went to Canada, lots went to college until Kennedy the senator ended college deferment. College and compliant doctors helped many to evade. Kerry was kind of a toff but at least he went, I mean he was there, same with Gore, Bush junior opted for the national guard, Clinton got multiple deferments, Romney got a religious deferment for doing his mission for the Mormon Church in France, McCain went and spent some real bad years in a Hanoi prison.

I guess what I'm getting at is that even if one went and got a bogus medical deferment, I can understand it. Heck no one wants to get killed. But when it comes down to it, I show respect for those who did go, they went.

I had family in the Philippines, Iwo Jima, the Berlin Airlift, Afghanistan and non-deployed service. The only close relative I know that was Vietnam eligable dodged in a very creative fashion, similar to Donald's method. I'm proud of my family's sevice, but am not ashamed of anyone making their own choices when it came to that pointless and unauthorized engagement. Can't hold it against Trump, but when you openly bash the anthem kneelers (who I disagree with) for not honoring the military but say people are stupid for not dodging like Trump did then you're at least a hypocritical suck.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
      Finally.

I registered for selective service in 74. By then no one was getting called up. I think by about 71 or so, no draftees were being sent to Vietnam. I had no worries. I do remember when I was about 12 years old and some of my brother's high school buds were getting killed. The war seemed to be getting hotter all the time, and no end in sight, I figured out that I could get drafted in six or so years, I didn't want to go die.

For guys of that time, what you did about Vietnam mattered. Some went to Canada, lots went to college until Kennedy the senator ended college deferment. College and compliant doctors helped many to evade. Kerry was kind of a toff but at least he went, I mean he was there, same with Gore, Bush junior opted for the national guard, Clinton got multiple deferments, Romney got a religious deferment for doing his mission for the Mormon Church in France, McCain went and spent some real bad years in a Hanoi prison.

I guess what I'm getting at is that even if one went and got a bogus medical deferment, I can understand it. Heck no one wants to get killed. But when it comes down to it, I show respect for those who did go, they went.
      My draft number was six. I did my time in the Army without going to Vietnam ... and it was guaranteed. Also guaranteed my choice of stations anywhere in the world when I finished thirteen months in Korea. There were lots of non-Vietnam choices available. Getting a bogus medical deferment for something he can't even remember was rich boy Donald's choice. He makes a big deal out of his low draft number when the lottery was restored. But his bogus college deferments ran out the year before and that's when daddy bought him a 4-F. We saw a lot of that crap back then with the corrupt local draft boards controlled by the rich and famous in the community.

Rock Rat, you're right but wrong about Clinton. He was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship and used deferments to finish it in England. Stuff like that is what the deferments were meant for. After graduating he applied for law school in Arkansas and was of course accepted but had no more deferments left. So he applied for ROTC and was accepted, in no small part due to influence of Senator Fulbright. But he didn't feel it was right that he should be able to dodge the draft through influence so he declined ROTC appointment and took his chances with the lottery like everyone else. And he won.

You are definitely wrong about Kennedy quashing college deferments. They lasted to the end of the Vietnam War. I graduated from high school in 1970 at age 17 then started using my deferment that fall by attending local community college. The lottery applicable to me was delayed until fall of 1971 when I drew my low number. I decided there was no point in busting my butt to pay for school four years just to get gobbled up by the military when I got out. May as well go now and have my schooling paid for by VA later. Made sense. When I went down to the enlistment office and checked out the options it made a lot more sense. I had to take an extra year but I was essentially saved from Vietnam. As it turned out, if I'd let the draft get me I wouldn't have went to Vietnam anyway. Guys who were guaranteed Vietnam (believe it or not many did sign up specifically for Nam) were being quietly discharged at AIT school (Advanced Individual Training ... I think) in spring of 1972 three months after I went in. The Army couldn't fulfil their contract ... even though the war was technically still going on. Of course the option was there to stay in and serve somewhere else but by then the lustre of military service had worn off and most took an honourable discharge and went home. As a draftee I would still have went into the MP corps (because I was the right size and had a clean record) and spent two years at Scoffield Barracks in Hawaii instead of three years with thirteen months in Korea. I bear no ill will to those who used college deferments. Eventually they were eligible and had to take their chances.

Anyway, as I said, there were lots of options available. I don't have any respect for those who ran away or used phoney physical disabilities. Bear no hard feelings for those like my brother who lucked out in the draft lottery. That's the way the system worked and even though I fell victim, I think that system worked well and fairly. MUCH better than the old corrupt local draft boards. Donald Trump took advantage of that. And maybe a good thing ... for him. But a bad thing for us. He wouldn't have lasted five minutes in basic training. No one can tell that spoiled loudmouth what to do. Take orders? Hah! He would have washed out in ROTC too. Not grown up enough for the Army even for that pansy outfit. A dishonourable discharge back then would have kept him out of our hair now. I'd like to find that doctor who gave him the 4-F and skin him alive! He gave us a HUGE embarrassing headache!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad