Saturday Morning Trivia Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Morning Trivia Time!

This is sometimes a VERY useful piece of equipment. What is it and what is it used for? All you country boys that know, just say YEP! and let some of the others have at it. Some of the responses are hilarious!
    Last edited by crm3006; 02-23-2019, 01:15 PM.

I am going to guess that it is a trap of some sort. A wooden stake goes through the ring and into the ground to keep the critter from running off.

Comment

99-Try again! Not even close.

Comment

Hobbles for your milk cow.
        Supposedly to keep her from kicking or stepping in the milk bucket.

Comment

#1Bubba- All you country boys that know, just say YEP! and let some of the others have at it. Some of the responses are hilarious!

Comment

What is wrong with the cow stepping in the milk bucket?
            She could have an infection in her hoof and the warm milk may soothe it.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
              What is wrong with the cow stepping in the milk bucket?
              She could have an infection in her hoof and the warm milk may soothe it.
              It's the wrong culture for cheese

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                #1Bubba- All you country boys that know, just say YEP! and let some of the others have at it. Some of the responses are hilarious!
                Just how country are you, '06?
                For 18 years i thought cornbread was angelfood cake!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Just how country are you, '06?
                  For 18 years i thought cornbread was angelfood cake!
                  This is good stuff 😂🤣😂🤣🤣

Comment

Is there any sweeter smell than the inside of a dairy barn in cold weather?

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

This is good stuff 😂🤣😂🤣🤣
                      JT, we were so poor, momma kept a bacon rind tied to a string by the back door. When you went out the back door in the morning, you wiped the bacon rind across your lips.
                      THAT was breakfast!

Comment

My how I disliked milking cows, dawn and dark, no excuses. Just at my most grumpy moment in came a stinging swat to the face by the cow’s tail. If I happened to remember to tie down the tail, instantly the cow had to pee. Could you get a ten year old to hand milk cows today?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                          My how I disliked milking cows, dawn and dark, no excuses. Just at my most grumpy moment in came a stinging swat to the face by the cow’s tail. If I happened to remember to tie down the tail, instantly the cow had to pee. Could you get a ten year old to hand milk cows today?
                          H. Myles, one of the greatest joys in my young life was getting up at 4am to go with grampa to milk "Sally".
                          Gramma and me would take him to work in that standard trans Plymouth.
                          When we got back home, the milk had chilled.
                          Two big, footed goblets were filled with unskimmed milk and went back in the fridge. The rest of the milk was skimmed and put on the churn.
                          I can still see her standing at the sink, gently washing the butter with a little cool water, working the milk and water out of the butter.
                          Grampa would take his fork and whip the cream back into the milk
                          Best milk ever until Sally got into the bitter weeds! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba
                            "Just how country are you, '06?
                            For 18 years i thought cornbread was angelfood cake"

#1 Bubba, I am so country that I have killed rabbits to have Christmas dinner, and we was so broke, I had to wait 'til two of them crossed, and shoot both of them with a .410. I have pulled snakes out of chicken houses and swung them around 'til I popped their heads off. I have picked potato bugs to keep them from eating up out 'taters. I thought milk came from a cow and butter came from a Dazey Churn, cause that is the only place I knew. I could tell you some more, but you might think I was braggin'!
                            I didn't mind milking the milk cows so much, we had a pair and mostly just milk one at a time. When Brownie dried up, we would bring in Jersey, and usually after about a week or so, they neither one needed the hobbles anymore. The ones I hated to milk were the old pasture cows that either lost a calf or gave so much milk, the baby calf couldn't handle it all. Then, they would develop mastitis in one side of their udder, and have to be rounded up and milked.
                            Nasty, stinking stuff, had to put their head in a chute, hobble their legs and milk until they were all cleaned out. Then continue to milk them for several days until you started to get clean milk and could turn them back out.
                            Have milked a few out in the pasture, dallied up to a mesquite tree just bigger than a fence post, with my Grandfather telling me "Hold your head in her flank, and she can't kick you!" Only trouble was, nothing to crowd her up against on her off side, so she could kick you!
                            Now, do my country credentials satisfy you?
                            Last edited by crm3006; 02-23-2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

ROTFLMBO!
                              I'd say that's pretty good credentials!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad