The life of a boat owner.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The life of a boat owner.

They say there are two moments of joy in the life of every boat owner: the day he buys it and the day he sells it.
    Is this true?

I’ve heard this before and thought how silly it is but. Is it true yes. It’s so much easier with a kayak and my boat is now becoming a pain. Also the gas price to fill it up and to haul it around. If it makes it to the water than I guess it makes me happy.

Comment

A boat is a hole in the water that the owner pours money into.
      Had one.
      Have one.
      I'M thinking kayak myself.

Comment

I have just purchased a 10’ Pelican fishing kayak and don’t see a time when I will be unhappy about it !

Comment

I guy I used to work for lived on a lake for a time, had both boats and jet skis. He moved about an hour away from water and sold them after the first year. Said it wasn’t worth it if you had to trailer them.

Comment

The fella I fish with trailers his boat, and just the little I have to do when we meet at the lake is more than I would want to put up with on a regular basis. Getting the boat into the ramp, keeping it in position, loading the boat again when finished, cranking it on the trailer. It’s a younger mans sport if the boat is not kept in the water at a dock by the cottage. You younger guys will learn this in time, so don’t go pfftt now !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              The fella I fish with trailers his boat, and just the little I have to do when we meet at the lake is more than I would want to put up with on a regular basis. Getting the boat into the ramp, keeping it in position, loading the boat again when finished, cranking it on the trailer. It’s a younger mans sport if the boat is not kept in the water at a dock by the cottage. You younger guys will learn this in time, so don’t go pfftt now !
              I already learned this is the true pain. I trailer it 2 hrs to the cabin. Then I only stay 3 to 4 days and sometimes when I bring it that far I feel obligated to used it. So when it’s raining and cold out I still have to put it in.

Comment

I've had runabouts, Jon boats, and personal watercraft. Was glad when I got rid of each one of them. Now I'm down to two canoes, one solo and one tandem. I car top them so there's no trailer required.

I'm very pleased with the canoes and plan to keep them.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  I've had runabouts, Jon boats, and personal watercraft. Was glad when I got rid of each one of them. Now I'm down to two canoes, one solo and one tandem. I car top them so there's no trailer required.

I'm very pleased with the canoes and plan to keep them.
                  You're 60?
                  High school football and a major car wreck and my shoulders and one elbow AIN'T what they "usta" be! LOL!
                  The mind is willing!
                  The body? That's a whole 'nother story!
                  I have a 17' AlumaCraft in the barn.
                  I "usta" shoulder it (66 lbs) and portage it easily.
                  Now, just getting it out of the barn is a chore!
                  Twenty pound kayak is looking better and better!

Comment

I hear ya. My 16 footer weighs 78 pounds and the 14 footer is 43. I've had some issues lifting the heavier one after a full day of paddling so had to change my technique when putting it on top of the Xterra.

Thankfully, my shoulders and knees are still in good shape and it doesn't hurt that I carry a lot of muscle (but still with too much fat).

By the way, kayaks tend to be heavier than canoes of the same length.

Comment

I keep my boat at a marina and am on the water as much as 50 days a summer.

Comment

You are correct about the kayaks being heavier than some canoes PigHunter. My 10’ fishing kayak has a weight of 58 pounds Compared to 43 for your 14’ canoe. I never would have figured that !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                          You are correct about the kayaks being heavier than some canoes PigHunter. My 10’ fishing kayak has a weight of 58 pounds Compared to 43 for your 14’ canoe. I never would have figured that !
                          It's simply more hull material that makes the difference. A kayak is enclosed where the canoe is open. Generally, a canoe can haul more weight too.

Comment

Easy to understand the weight issue in that manner.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                              99explorer
                              There is a movement afoot to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay off part of our national debt.
                              It would become South Alberta....
                              Yesterday, 12:27 AM
                            • Reply to New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                              fitch270
                              Wouldn't South Alberta be its own province?

There's been a "movement" to separate upstate NY from the NYC area for years. Fat chance...
                              Today, 12:09 AM
                            • Illegals buying guns
                              labrador12
                              If 8 million illegals are trying to buy guns a year, what is the size of the illegal population? Is 10% of the illegal population armed? 50%? Are there...
                              Yesterday, 10:56 AM
                            • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                              Harmonious Fulmination
                              In peak seasons Ellis Island processed over 5000 dirt poor migrants a day. And with those inadequate traditional families they made America and Americans...
                              Today, 12:02 AM
                            • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                              fitch270
                              The logistics of the situation is the issue. Better safe than sorry. Trying to figure out who is who and has relatives where takes time and resources....
                              Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X