Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the signs of spring you look forward to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the signs of spring you look forward to?

We had a nice break in the weather this week, unfortunately it’s about to end tomorrow. We still have weeks to go until spring but I always smile upon seeing these, once they get put away the worst should be over give or take a few days. How about you?

The call of red-winged blackbirds, one of my favorite sounds. Then the sign of true spring, the peepers.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
      The call of red-winged blackbirds, one of my favorite sounds. Then the sign of true spring, the peepers.
      I have an odd ritual with spring peepers. The night I first came home with my hearing aids i stepped out of the garage to a symphony from the swamp across the road. After getting the dogs and kids settled in i went back out to the porch and listened to them for 15 minutes or so, alternately muting the new electronics. I hadn't realized I hadn't actually been able to hear them for years, and with the hearing aids the noise was, well, deafening. I was saddened and thrilled at the same time. I still do the same thing every year.

Redwinged blackbirds have been a favorite since I was a kid, their sound always reminds me of evening fly fishing in my middle teens.

Comment

Signs of spring I look for:

First of, we've had a few good frosts, but no killer freezes.
        We need about a 2 inch "toad floater". Then the skies should clear and 2 or 3 days of 5° to 10° weather to kill back bugs.

Late February or early March, the local "Feed & Grain" will place flats of red, yellow and white onions just outside their front door.

SPRING IS NEAR!

Onions and snow peas in the ground, it's time to check turkey activity and dabble around the rip rap at Walker Creek to see if the crappie have started spawning.

Then, I check the small trees in the yard for leaves, the oil and gas in the riding mower.
        Gotta get busy and change the oil bushings in my old Troybilt.
        Love the odor of freshly tilled dirt.

Spring ain't REALLY here until the blackberries start blooming.

...and I love the spring peepers and the blinking fireflies.

...the first few spears of asparagus and a couple of fresh, finger thick green onions sauteed in butter and tossed into a cheese omelet!
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 02-07-2019, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Waiting for the antlers drop and taking some nice long hikes for shed hunting. Also gotta love some of the wild mushrooms. Can’t wait for spring.

Comment

The first robins but sometimes they get here early and get caught in snow storms. I have seen 6" snow fall as late as May 10th in N.Ohio. Getting my boat out of storage is always a happy day.

Comment

I can't wait for the groundhogs to show their face and to dig some ramps.

Comment

Ramps wouldn't happen to be the same as leeks would they?

Comment

I like seeing women wearing sleeveless tops and showing their legs in shorts or short skirts. Now, that's what brings a smile to my face!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    I like seeing women wearing sleeveless tops and showing their legs in shorts or short skirts. Now, that's what brings a smile to my face!
                    Age will eventually take care of that perpetual state of rut! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Age will eventually take care of that perpetual state of rut! LOL!
                      I hope so. It's most distracting. I'll be 60 this Spring...

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        I have an odd ritual with spring peepers. The night I first came home with my hearing aids i stepped out of the garage to a symphony from the swamp across the road. After getting the dogs and kids settled in i went back out to the porch and listened to them for 15 minutes or so, alternately muting the new electronics. I hadn't realized I hadn't actually been able to hear them for years, and with the hearing aids the noise was, well, deafening. I was saddened and thrilled at the same time. I still do the same thing every year.

Redwinged blackbirds have been a favorite since I was a kid, their sound always reminds me of evening fly fishing in my middle teens.
                        Yes, it would be downright bizarre to fish a stream in early spring without hearing the blackbirds. Same with chickadees in the woods during wintertime.

I think I remember an article by T. Edward Nickens where he says something similar, suddenly discovering all the things he hadn't realized he was missing. I'm headed down that road, probably. I never did all the shooting that does for a lot of guy's hearing, but I spent a few years working sound for metal and punk bands. Yeah, potential hearing loss isn't the only lasting trauma I have from those days.

Nice ritual! My mom used to love the peepers, too. Without fail, every time someone said something about spring being here, she'd say, "Nope, haven't heard the peeper's yet!" It's funny, I used to think that they sounded off in the evening, then last year I was fishing a little stream next to a swamp / pond, and they just went at it all day long.

Comment

Yep, ramps are wild leeks. I've never known anyone in New York who does call them ramps. I tried to for a while, but gave it up.

Comment

Yes they are

Comment

It's awful, you guys talking about hearing loss.
                              I'm 68 right now and my hearing is, well, so-so.
                              I sometimes surprise myself that I actually heard some faint natural sound* to being oblivious to the artillery barrage from Ft Sill.

*A distant turkey gobble, cluck or drumming, a buck grunt, the rustle of a squirrel on tree bark, the whistle of duck wings, the "blurp" of a disappearing bobber

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Red Dot's
                                by PigHunter
                                Jimbo, I've used a red dot scope on my crossbow and it was great in low light at the short distances I needed (up to 50 yards). However, the dot washed...
                                Today, 10:10 AM
                              • Red Dot's
                                by jhjimbo
                                What is the difference between a open Red Dot and a scope type Red Dot ? Function, operation, accuracy potential....
                                Today, 09:41 AM
                              • Reply to Red Dot's
                                by fitch270
                                I believe the biggest difference would be in speed of target acquisition related to field of view. The tube style have a bit of tunnel vision to them,...
                                Today, 09:48 AM
                              • Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                They can also create organs right now with 3d printing. Dr. mentioned that on Tucker show.
                                Univ of Pittsburg has been growing organs for years...
                                Today, 09:44 AM
                              • Are You Ready For This ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                An American Scientist financed by Spain has gone to China to create an ape-human by combining a human embryo with a primate. I don't know why he had...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X