Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will he or won't he ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by JasonT View Post

    Can't say why or how long they are going, you may be right.
    Geez Honk, keep up. They built all the walls in New Orleans, a Herculean task.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
      The existing border fence is in need of repair and maintenance.
      Here is a picture of the steel wall in Tijuana.
      Looks o.k. to me. I don't know if they are using the self-protecting steel or not. It is used in road bridges all the time. No maintenance. Once installed it develops a coating of rust and once covered it does not rust any more. Can't remember the steel
      .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 02-10-2019, 12:34 AM.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

        Geez Honk, keep up. They built all the walls in New Orleans, a Herculean task.
        The "Great Wall of New Orleans" is less than two miles long. Is that what Trump has in mind?

        Comment


        • #64
          So Jimbo was talking about the mongrelization of races. No doubt absolute bigotry and disregard for the basic humanity off all races won't raise an eyebrow among our more fanatical members, though.
          Any civilization built on distinction of races deserves to collaspe.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Harmonious Fulmination View Post
            It's not a question of the wall at all but of executive power amd future precedents. Thankfully though, it would be unlikely to stand up in court.
            Study up. Lots of Presidents have used Executive Privilege, even gone to war on it without any Congress input.

            Comment


            • #66
              In the SCOTUS we have a left wing that would be opposed to the wall and Trump abusing his power to get one and a right wing that would not be fond of abuse of power. There is existing precedent against Presidential stupidity in response to a claimed emergency.
              While we did indeed get into Korea and Vietnam by executive abuse, they never got a judicial test. Also, following Vietnam we got the War Powers Resolution of 1973 which serves as a check on Presidential power and helps to ensure we don't get into those types of situations again without Congressional approval. So maybe you should study up.

              Whether a wall is good or bad, with it's low public support, ridiculous price, the legal challenges it would face from private property owners, Indian tribes and state governments who own land along the border, its inability to pass Congress and certain judicial checks on any Executive power grab (an action that could even serve to be the begining of the end for Trump) Wall-ites are royally f----d. The Dems have already beat you on this matter. They won the shutdown, they'll win any similar attempt by Trump. You guys just won't be getting one and I'm not saying that to be a smart-ass. It's time to accept that before you bleed even more support, the Trump Train has already made a big enough fool out my party.
              Last edited by Harmonious Fulmination; 02-10-2019, 02:15 AM.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

                Study up. Lots of Presidents have used Executive Privilege, even gone to war on it without any Congress input.
                I have already lectured you on this before in this thread. 1) The President can send troops into combat overseas without Congress approval but after sixty days he must get Congress' approval! The approval law was passed as a result of the Vietnam War. 2) Building the Wall is not an overseas intervention to preserve national security or world peace. Trump can try to make it into some kind of national emergency to preserve security but the statistics don't support it as an emergency. Rather the "problem" is more or less a fact of life that the country has lived with for the better part of its life. That is the way the Court will be bound to look at it.

                Lots of presidents (upper case is only used when the word is used as a proper noun in place of the person's name) have had their misuse of Executive Privilege quashed by the courts. The Constitution did not give the President that power to be used indiscriminately! Most executive orders are simply procedural, effecting how an agency created by Congress is managed.

                Jimbo, I think you will find in your research that the Army Corps has never built anything within the US borders without Congressional approval for the project. Some of the haggling that went on at Capitol Hill over the location of military bases is the stuff of legends. Presidents didn't just order it done. They had to have approval from Congress because they had to have FUNDING from Congress. During times of war that approval may be streamlined significantly but if it's the case of a true national emergency (e.g. Civil War or WWII) Congress is usually on board with the streamlining. Being a partisan sh*t disturber during those times is a quick way to get tossed out of office by constituents.

                Comment


                • #68
                  I am convinced Trump always knew his Wall would never fly. But win or lose it would be a big show. And that's what this guy is all about ... putting on a show. The show needed some spice so he turfed a bunch of federal workers. Doesn't matter to him that he ruined their lives or that he will go down as the biggest buffoon to ever sit in the Oval Office. He will be remembered and that's what's important to him. And that's what makes him so scary. He just does stuff to be a spectacle. No one knows what he will do next ... because he doesn't know. I agree totally with Jimbo: keeping people of balance is Trump's shtick. But that's no way to run a government ... though it might be fun to watch on a TV show. Watching old Three Stooges movies late at night is kinda relaxing but I don't want my real world to be like that! God forbid the country would ever be faced with a true national threat. Trump couldn't plan a free lunch (and don't give me that crap about being a successful businessman ... smart people made his money for him). Because being a careful planner is "so boring." What's the show in that? It also requires some intelligence, patience, leadership, and diplomacy. Trump has NONE of those qualities. Anyone who has watched this guy over the last two years can't see it any other way unless they have purposely blinded themselves. Oh, but it's everyone else's fault ... blah, blah, blah. That excuse wore out after the first hundred days. Hell, it was really worn out half way through his campaign! He is careless, self-promoting, thoughtless, immoral, ... the list goes on and on. I'm sorry but I see absolutely NO virtuous qualities in the man. I have looked hard and more than anyone on here I hoped he would grow up once he got in office. He just doesn't have the equipment to do that.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                    I am convinced Trump always knew his Wall would never fly. But win or lose it would be a big show. And that's what this guy is all about ... putting on a show. The show needed some spice so he turfed a bunch of federal workers. Doesn't matter to him that he ruined their lives or that he will go down as the biggest buffoon to ever sit in the Oval Office. He will be remembered and that's what's important to him. And that's what makes him so scary. He just does stuff to be a spectacle. No one knows what he will do next ... because he doesn't know. I agree totally with Jimbo: keeping people of balance is Trump's shtick. But that's no way to run a government ... though it might be fun to watch on a TV show. Watching old Three Stooges movies late at night is kinda relaxing but I don't want my real world to be like that! God forbid the country would ever be faced with a true national threat. Trump couldn't plan a free lunch (and don't give me that crap about being a successful businessman ... smart people made his money for him). Because being a careful planner is "so boring." What's the show in that? It also requires some intelligence, patience, leadership, and diplomacy. Trump has NONE of those qualities. Anyone who has watched this guy over the last two years can't see it any other way unless they have purposely blinded themselves. Oh, but it's everyone else's fault ... blah, blah, blah. That excuse wore out after the first hundred days. Hell, it was really worn out half way through his campaign! He is careless, self-promoting, thoughtless, immoral, ... the list goes on and on. I'm sorry but I see absolutely NO virtuous qualities in the man. I have looked hard and more than anyone on here I hoped he would grow up once he got in office. He just doesn't have the equipment to do that.
                    I don't see the big deal with the federal employees being off for thirty days. I'm tired of hearing them cry, regardless of who is in office you work for the government. If you are not prepared then you where pretty much ruined before the shutdown. I seen so many permanently put out if work by Obama and nobody gave two s#!ts. I was one of them.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

                      The number uno responsibility of the President is the security of the United States and it's Citizens. Period. He can do ANYTHING to accomplish that responsibility. IF he should not, he could be found guilty of dereliction of the office of President.
                      If he does ANYTHING that is beyond the authority granted to him by the Constitution he is guilty of being a dictator and tyrant. Americans decide what their security needs are, not Trump. And they have spoken ... he just won't listen.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

                        If he does ANYTHING that is beyond the authority granted to him by the Constitution he is guilty of being a dictator and tyrant. Americans decide what their security needs are, not Trump. And they have spoken ... he just won't listen.
                        If, that's "IF", Trump exceeds his Constitutional authority, I have no problem putting him back in his place...but nobody called Obama a dictator or tyrant when he walked all over the Constitution.

                        And apparently you can't hear.
                        Liberal s#¡tholes that have declared themselves "sanctuary" cities and states don't want a wall!
                        "Flyover" America DOES want a wall.
                        Border agents want a wall.
                        Customs agents want a wall.
                        REAL Americans want a wall.
                        It's people like you who can't get over HRC losing the election that can't come to grips with something besides socialism and liberal rule.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

                          If, that's "IF", Trump exceeds his Constitutional authority, I have no problem putting him back in his place...but nobody called Obama a dictator or tyrant when he walked all over the Constitution.

                          And apparently you can't hear.
                          Liberal s#¡tholes that have declared themselves "sanctuary" cities and states don't want a wall!
                          "Flyover" America DOES want a wall.
                          Border agents want a wall.
                          Customs agents want a wall.
                          REAL Americans want a wall.
                          It's people like you who can't get over HRC losing the election that can't come to grips with something besides socialism and liberal rule.
                          For better or worse the will of the "flyover" people is what counts in a democracy. Benevolent dictatorships (and there have been a few historical examples) are still a dictatorship. The Founding Fathers decided going that route was too dicey and that's why they came up with the checks and balances against a president who was primarily intended to be a safeguard in the event of a threat of foreign invasion. A necessary evil because it's simply too hard getting everyone to agree on battle plans, etc. So one guy is given the authority to make those decisions (albeit now for only sixty days) in an emergency. But for regular domestic issues, Congress calls the shots. And Congress has spoken. The Wall is not a national emergency and no court would ever agree to it being declared one. Simply ridiculous. The Boy King can blow all that hot air he wants but even his own party knows it's an absurd contention. It remains to be seen if they can reign him in on trying the national emergency tactic. If he does he will clearly fail and the GOP will be worse than toast in the next general election. That certainly won't do us any good. It's time for that fool (and those fools who blindly support or make excuses for his whims) to cut the losses, drop this silly suicide mission, and move on. But I don't expect he will. He's too much of a self-centred spoiled child. He needs the show. Gotta have that attention!

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

                            For better or worse the will of the "flyover" people is what counts in a democracy. Benevolent dictatorships (and there have been a few historical examples) are still a dictatorship. The Founding Fathers decided going that route was too dicey and that's why they came up with the checks and balances against a president who was primarily intended to be a safeguard in the event of a threat of foreign invasion. A necessary evil because it's simply too hard getting everyone to agree on battle plans, etc. So one guy is given the authority to make those decisions (albeit now for only sixty days) in an emergency. But for regular domestic issues, Congress calls the shots. And Congress has spoken. The Wall is not a national emergency and no court would ever agree to it being declared one. Simply ridiculous. The Boy King can blow all that hot air he wants but even his own party knows it's an absurd contention. It remains to be seen if they can reign him in on trying the national emergency tactic. If he does he will clearly fail and the GOP will be worse than toast in the next general election. That certainly won't do us any good. It's time for that fool (and those fools who blindly support or make excuses for his whims) to cut the losses, drop this silly suicide mission, and move on. But I don't expect he will. He's too much of a self-centred spoiled child. He needs the show. Gotta have that attention!
                            "Build That Wall!" and a sleeze bag (D) candidate is what got trump elected in 2016...and it will get him RE-elected in 2020.

                            If you're so all fired up about people dropping "silly suicide missions", see what you can do about the 2020 Democratic-Socialist party (party claimed by B. Sanders VT and AOC NY) dropping their platform of infanticide, socialized medicine, stopping cow farts and petroleum production, banning airplanes, revamping every building in America and coast to coast high speed rail among their many asinine socialist ideas!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Harmonious Fulmination View Post
                              In the SCOTUS we have a left wing that would be opposed to the wall and Trump abusing his power to get one and a right wing that would not be fond of abuse of power. There is existing precedent against Presidential stupidity in response to a claimed emergency.
                              While we did indeed get into Korea and Vietnam by executive abuse, they never got a judicial test. Also, following Vietnam we got the War Powers Resolution of 1973 which serves as a check on Presidential power and helps to ensure we don't get into those types of situations again without Congressional approval. So maybe you should study up.

                              Whether a wall is good or bad, with it's low public support, ridiculous price, the legal challenges it would face from private property owners, Indian tribes and state governments who own land along the border, its inability to pass Congress and certain judicial checks on any Executive power grab (an action that could even serve to be the begining of the end for Trump) Wall-ites are royally f----d. The Dems have already beat you on this matter. They won the shutdown, they'll win any similar attempt by Trump. You guys just won't be getting one and I'm not saying that to be a smart-ass. It's time to accept that before you bleed even more support, the Trump Train has already made a big enough fool out my party.
                              Lots of oral Diarrhea there.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

                                "Build That Wall!" and a sleeze bag (D) candidate is what got trump elected in 2016...and it will get him RE-elected in 2020.

                                If you're so all fired up about people dropping "silly suicide missions", see what you can do about the 2020 Democratic-Socialist party (party claimed by B. Sanders VT and AOC NY) dropping their platform of infanticide, socialized medicine, stopping cow farts and petroleum production, banning airplanes, revamping every building in America and coast to coast high speed rail among their many asinine socialist ideas!
                                Seems to me Trump had the market cornered on "sleeze bag." The sex tapes, his payoffs to silence marital misadventures, mocking handicapped people, etc., etc. And the accompanying lies. It really takes some imagination to put that loser on a higher pedestal than Shrillary. Admittedly it would take digging a hole in the ground.

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                                Right Rail 1

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                                  99explorer
                                  There is a movement afoot to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay off part of our national debt.
                                  It would become South Alberta....
                                  Yesterday, 12:27 AM
                                • Reply to New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                                  fitch270
                                  Wouldn't South Alberta be its own province?

                                  There's been a "movement" to separate upstate NY from the NYC area for years. Fat chance...
                                  Today, 12:09 AM
                                • Illegals buying guns
                                  labrador12
                                  If 8 million illegals are trying to buy guns a year, what is the size of the illegal population? Is 10% of the illegal population armed? 50%? Are there...
                                  Yesterday, 10:56 AM
                                • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                                  Harmonious Fulmination
                                  In peak seasons Ellis Island processed over 5000 dirt poor migrants a day. And with those inadequate traditional families they made America and Americans...
                                  Today, 12:02 AM
                                • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                                  fitch270
                                  The logistics of the situation is the issue. Better safe than sorry. Trying to figure out who is who and has relatives where takes time and resources....
                                  Yesterday, 11:58 PM

                                Right Rail 3

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X