Will he or won't he ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harmonious Fulmination View Post
    Yep, you were/are the victim of an overzealous agenda based on partisan appeal than actual thought.
    I am strongly against that whether it's from Dems or Reps and I would lump Trump's trade policy square into that.
    I'm not so sure on you view of his trade policy. Something has to be done about our old trade agreements. I mean we really did not get in debt in just the last two years. China does need put in their place. We also need some plan for mexico and canada. We can't just go ten miles over a border build things for less then let the american people pay the price. Yes I agree with what your going to reply, we do need to hold manufacturers responsible also. At the end of the day we can't deny the good that has come in the last two years. Unemployment in the black community, unemployment all around, wages up, north korea has not tested a missile in over a year, and the list goes on. How do you feel about legislation that releases not violent drug offenders?

Comment

(If you're only interested in my answer to the question you asked me just skip to the last paragraph.)

The only issue that can possibly exist with old trade agreements is that they don't liberalize trade enough. Our trade has nothing to do with debt (although our debt does effect trade deficits.) Tariffs have shown themselves to be incapable of changing our deficit. "Deals" that make Chinese or whoever buy more American stuff are nothing but disgusting centralized economic actions. Trade deficits are pretty much meaningless since the current account balance is balanced by the financial account balance. In other words, the only reason we have a trade deficit is because rather than spend the dollars they can get their hands on on our goods foreigners much prefer to invest in us. Direct foreign investment has proven to be a huge economic boon for us.

Things have gotten good recently; even though I'm always skeptical about what's actually driving it and looking for the next recession I can't deny that. But tariffs have held that back. They've increased welfare usage, and retaliatory tariffs have crushed U.S. markets. The withdrawl from the TPP has given foreign competitors huge advantages in foreign markets. Tariffs on inputs like steel are crushing manufacturing jobs and driving them abroad. When Bush did the same with less intense steel tariffs he cost the US more jobs than the entire steel industry employed and a total loss of 4 billion in wages. I'm sure that resonates with you.
      As for making manufacturers accountable first you need to address the policies that drive them out and recognize that their free choices always seem better than the alternative; damaging our own economy to punish them for leaving, drive them back or keep them from going. The last of which when you think about it is actually a way of hiding that bad policy makes out manufacturing environment less competitive.

Our situation with North Korea mainly has South Korea to thank. Also, Trump's end goal on NK became less clear when he failed to stop them from achieving nuclearization which helped ease tensions.

I support broad legalization such as Norway and Portugal have done with great success. There are drug dealers that need to be in prison. Cartel members and guys that sell stuff they say it isn't have crossed some serious lines. But if someone has committed only voluntary actions and didn't deal in misleadingly dangerous substances I support them being out. I'm actually friends with a guy who at one point in his life sold weed. Despite his "crime" he is an upstanding, useful citizen and always has been. We'd be worse off with him locked up and he doesn't deserve to be. I know that is just an anecdote and I know the same can't be said for most dealers of even soft stuff, but to misquote an old adage it's better for a hundred jerks to go free than one decent man be punished.
      Last edited by Harmonious Fulmination; 02-06-2019, 01:55 AM.

Comment

"... The President has the authority to veto ... but he better have a good reason. The majority of Congress (and polled Americans) did not think he had a good reason. But he did it anyway. Strike one! ..."
        The (D)'s had already voted FOR a border barrier.
        TDS is causing the (D)'s (and apparently HONK!) to talk out their rear end!

"... And then justified his veto with scare tactics "fake news." Strike two! ..."
        It's only a "scare tactic" if it's false.

"... Anyway, ordering the Corps to build the Wall at this juncture will lead anyone with a brain to conclude Trump just wanted to produce a bunch of unnecessary drama at the expense of hundreds of thousands of government employees. And don't think the liberal demons won't be singing that tune from the pulpits as loud as they can! Strike three! ..."
        Wow! Openly admitting you don't have a brain, Honk! Awesome!

Comment

The most recent talk is the wall can be built by the Corps of Engineers without an executive order.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            The most recent talk is the wall can be built by the Corps of Engineers without an executive order.
            "Most recent talk" ... by whom? Your usual "reliable" sources no doubt. National Enquirer ... Mad Magazine?

The Corps can't build a freaking doghouse without going through environmental impact statements. It's a piece of cake making them run through those hoops for years. And no, it doesn't make any difference if the government owns the property. Besides surface rights, the government would also have acquire mineral rights under the land and possibly water rights in many places. Just wading through the red tape and court appeals would take decades ... even if the Corps had the funding and manpower to do the job. Keep in mind that the Corps these days is pretty much a design agency. Most of the actual building is contracted. Contractors don't work for nothing. And the Corps doesn't grow their paychecks on trees.

Comment

I was just thinking now that we are talking about a steel fence rather than a concrete wall, any steel structure would need to be continuously painted.
              I once knew a man whose job it was to paint the steel components of the Brooklyn Bridge. He was part of a four or five man team of painters who had to scrape the rust off the steel and re-paint it.
              As soon as they reached the end of the bridge, they had to return to the other end and start all over because rust had started to form.
              Maybe someone here is shooting from the hip and hasn't thought this thing through.

Comment

The existing border fence is in need of repair and maintenance.
                Here is a picture of the steel wall in Tijuana.

Comment

I wonder if we could get the Mexicans to paint their side of it:-))

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

"Most recent talk" ... by whom? Your usual "reliable" sources no doubt. National Enquirer ... Mad Magazine?

The Corps can't build a freaking doghouse without going through environmental impact statements. It's a piece of cake making them run through those hoops for years. And no, it doesn't make any difference if the government owns the property. Besides surface rights, the government would also have acquire mineral rights under the land and possibly water rights in many places. Just wading through the red tape and court appeals would take decades ... even if the Corps had the funding and manpower to do the job. Keep in mind that the Corps these days is pretty much a design agency. Most of the actual building is contracted. Contractors don't work for nothing. And the Corps doesn't grow their paychecks on trees.
                    Work with a group of marines who have already been called back active for the security at the border. So?????????

Comment

To clarify: "... the numbers he cites as proof of emergency are at [odds with actual] relatively low levels historically" To put it more bluntly, the stats both he and his mouthpiece Sarah were spewing had no foundation in reality. More of Trump's "fake news."
                      Honk, you don't know that .

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        Will he have the Army Corps of Engineers build the Wall ?? We should get a hint at the SOTU address tonight. Stay tuned.
                        One thing ya gotta give those evil Democrats credit for: they cite the government agencies own statistics, not something from a crackpot website. Oh but wait ... that's right, the government doesn't know everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

Work with a group of marines who have already been called back active for the security at the border. So?????????
                          Originally posted by JasonT View Post

Six weeks playing war games and they're back home again. Hardly a wall building crew.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonious Fulmination View Post

You're entirely correct I provided some fake news. Trump vented about rescinding the nomination prior to Gorsuch's confirmation. My mistake.
                            I can't read the red type.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                              At odds with whose stats? We have heard for years that there are a maximum of 11M illegal aliens in this country, from CNN, MSNBC, all the "news" outlets, but the real total is 25M+ according to more informed sources, such as DHS, the Hoover Institute and the Heritage Foundation. If you don't believe that illegals are crossing the border in droves, bringing drugs, gang members, crime, and disease into our country, then I pity you in your ignorance, or refusal to recognize the problem.
                              Same way with blacks. Govt. wants us to believe blacks are only 10% of the population. I think it is more like twice that number. Soon whites will be the minority and then we can get all the free stuff and there will be so much inter breeding there will be one caramel colored race and then Civilization will collapse

Comment

Six weeks playing war games and they're back home again. Hardly a wall building crew.
                                Can't say why or how long they are going, you may be right.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                                  99explorer
                                  There is a movement afoot to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay off part of our national debt.
                                  It would become South Alberta....
                                  Yesterday, 12:27 AM
                                • Reply to New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                                  fitch270
                                  Wouldn't South Alberta be its own province?

There's been a "movement" to separate upstate NY from the NYC area for years. Fat chance...
                                  Today, 12:09 AM
                                • Illegals buying guns
                                  labrador12
                                  If 8 million illegals are trying to buy guns a year, what is the size of the illegal population? Is 10% of the illegal population armed? 50%? Are there...
                                  Yesterday, 10:56 AM
                                • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                                  Harmonious Fulmination
                                  In peak seasons Ellis Island processed over 5000 dirt poor migrants a day. And with those inadequate traditional families they made America and Americans...
                                  Today, 12:02 AM
                                • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                                  fitch270
                                  The logistics of the situation is the issue. Better safe than sorry. Trying to figure out who is who and has relatives where takes time and resources....
                                  Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X