Will he or won't he ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will he or won't he ?

Will he have the Army Corps of Engineers build the Wall ?? We should get a hint at the SOTU address tonight. Stay tuned.

It's not a question of the wall at all but of executive power amd future precedents. Thankfully though, it would be unlikely to stand up in court.

Comment

Humongous Flatulence, your TDS is as bad as the honk-honk. Give it a break, and write about something else of which you know little or nothing.

Comment

Do you really want the Warren Administration pulling something similar on precedent set by Trump? You only care about constitutional constraints when a Dem is in, but it's unclear why.
        Last edited by Harmonious Fulmination; 02-08-2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

The Supreme Court will ultimately back President Trump if he does go around Congress on this. RBG's Conservative replacement will further insure the outcome.

Comment

PigHunter +1
            What is this Warren administration the nut job is writing about? (I wish he or she would learn to spell.)

Comment

Like I said, it isn't a question of Trump, will the wall work or immigration or my supposed TDS (I mean I voted for the man for goodness sakes), it's just a question of can a single man redirect billons of dollars that Congress has allocated and seize what will probably be millions of acres in private land with miliatry eminent domain (i.e. skirting due process) with the stroke of his pen. Especially when the numbers he cites as proof of emergency are at relatively low levels historically

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                The Supreme Court will ultimately back President Trump if he does go around Congress on this. RBG's Conservative replacement will further insure the outcome.
                Following Gorusch's confurmation Trump wanted to know if there was anyway to rescind it when he saw that Gorsuch would rule according to his originalist beliefs rather than Trump's policy hopes. You overestimate the court's partisanship (at least on the originalists' side) and shockingly approve of changing the courts function from the objective examination of laws and documents to a partisan agenda.

Comment

"Following Gorusch's confurmation Trump wanted to know if there was anyway to rescind it ........."
                  You want to cite a reliable source for that fabrication, there, Humongous Flatulence? Or are you just pulling "facts" out of your rear orifice, as usual?

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonious Fulmination View Post
                    Like I said, it isn't a question of Trump, will the wall work or immigration or my supposed TDS (I mean I voted for the man for goodness sakes), it's just a question of can a single man redirect billons of dollars that Congress has allocated and seize what will probably be millions of acres in private land with miliatry eminent domain (i.e. skirting due process) with the stroke of his pen. Especially when the numbers he cites as proof of emergency are at relatively low levels historically
                    To clarify: "... the numbers he cites as proof of emergency are at [odds with actual] relatively low levels historically" To put it more bluntly, the stats both he and his mouthpiece Sarah were spewing had no foundation in reality. More of Trump's "fake news."

Comment

Trump better steer clear of that discussion tonight or he'll have a hard time talking above the commotion as everyone heads for the exits.

So, he can simply order the Army Corps to go build some gigantic monument to himself? I doubt that it's that easy but I don't doubt he doesn't have a clue what's involved. But for fun let's say he'll try it tonight. What's the first question that will come to every viewer/voter's mind? "Well, gees, why didn't he just do that in the first place? Why put all those government employees out of work and cause them so much unnecessary hardship?" And, yes, HE did that. Congress has the authority to plan how money is spent. That's their Constitutionally endowed responsibility. The President has the authority to veto ... but he better have a good reason. The majority of Congress (and polled Americans) did not think he had a good reason. But he did it anyway. Strike one! And then justified his veto with scare tactics "fake news." Strike two! Anyway, ordering the Corps to build the Wall at this juncture will lead anyone with a brain to conclude Trump just wanted to produce a bunch of unnecessary drama at the expense of hundreds of thousands of government employees. And don't think the liberal demons won't be singing that tune from the pulpits as loud as they can! Strike three! Even if it was possible (and clearly it's not), attempting to order the Corps to build the Wall now would be a huge, huge pie in the face for the Republican party. I think they've had enough of that over the last two years! There are some level heads with a lot of clout (and political ambitions!) on that side of the aisle and I'm sure they have advised/warned Trump not to do anything so foolish. But he is the definition of a fool so we'll see.

It will be interesting to see if he sticks to the script someone writes for him (he clearly isn't articulate and/or intelligent enough to write more than a simple sentence on his own). Sticking to the script might provide the desperately needed illusion that Trump can act like a grownup once in a while. Hope springs eternal. Even when he does read off the screen, it's painfully fake (would help immensely if he'd put his vanity aside and wear glasses so he can see what he's reading... e.g. that last live prime time Oval Office fiasco was a real stumbling squint fest). Fortunately, I have some Canadian channels I can switch to so I'm not compelled to sit through the whole thing. The State of the Union is usually just wasted air time anyway even in the best case scenarios when presidents who have some speaking ability are speaking.
                      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 02-05-2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

At odds with whose stats? We have heard for years that there are a maximum of 11M illegal aliens in this country, from CNN, MSNBC, all the "news" outlets, but the real total is 25M+ according to more informed sources, such as DHS, the Hoover Institute and the Heritage Foundation. If you don't believe that illegals are crossing the border in droves, bringing drugs, gang members, crime, and disease into our country, then I pity you in your ignorance, or refusal to recognize the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                          "Following Gorusch's confurmation Trump wanted to know if there was anyway to rescind it ........."
                          You want to cite a reliable source for that fabrication, there, Humongous Flatulence? Or are you just pulling "facts" out of your rear orifice, as usual?
                          You're entirely correct I provided some fake news. Trump vented about rescinding the nomination prior to Gorsuch's confirmation. My mistake.

Comment

At odds with whose stats? We have heard for years that there are a maximum of 11M illegal aliens in this country, from CNN, MSNBC, all the "news" outlets, but the real total is 25M+ according to more informed sources, such as DHS, the Hoover Institute and the Heritage Foundation. If you don't believe that illegals are crossing the border in droves, bringing drugs, gang members, crime, and disease into our country, then I pity you in your ignorance, or refusal to recognize the problem.
                            I'm not aware of even the Heritage Foundation saying 25 million. I think most recently they talked about a study that with some dubious assumptions put it at 18 million.

Don't see how that helps you anyway. I quoted a statement by Trump a little while back giving the arrest numbers of illegal immigrants. I agreed with his numbers and also provided conviction numbers. The thing is though, assuming an 11 million illegal population the numbers of both arrests and convictions of illegals are at rates below those of citizens. If you say the real population is more than double that then what you're saying is illegals are about the safest and felony free demographic in the country. That isn't true, legal immigrants have crime rates below illegals, I'm just showing that you're undercutting your own argument.
                            Cost per immigrant at hospitals, in schools, effects on employment and wage rates become even smaller.
                            Last edited by Harmonious Fulmination; 02-08-2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

PigHunter +1
                              What is this Warren administration the nut job is writing about? (I wish he or she would learn to spell.)
                              Only giving a possible example of a subsequent Democratic administration that could abuse increased executive emergency powers (possibly already upheld by a conservative SCOTUS as PH said) for leftist purposes. I really, really don't want to see that.
                              Last edited by Harmonious Fulmination; 02-05-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clan of the Cave Bear
                                by MattM37
                                Have any of you read this? All I remembered was the cheeseball movie starring Darryl Hannah, but on a whim I grabbed the paperback yesterday from the...
                                Today, 07:55 PM
                              • Reply to Clan of the Cave Bear
                                by FirstBubba
                                Just completed "Angels in the Sky" by Robert Gandt.
                                How a band of volunteer airmen saved the new state of Israel.

"The...
                                Today, 09:39 PM
                              • Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                                by Gvanwage
                                Someone please school me on this!

I am in the market for a 300 WinMag and totally new to the caliber/cartridge. I love the Look, feel,...
                                Yesterday, 01:18 PM
                              • Reply to Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                                by PAShooter
                                I have read where shooters have had success with 200 gr. Accubonds and 200 gr ELDX in the 1-11 twist Tikka. There are some fine bullets in the 30 caliber...
                                Today, 05:10 PM
                              • Contaminants
                                by MattM37
                                How are the waters in your area? Do you get to each much fresh fish?

Most of my local waters aren't even listed on the state health...
                                Today, 04:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X