Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ijust bought my first baitcasting reel and im looking for some tips on casting...i took it out for the first time and when the l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ijust bought my first baitcasting reel and im looking for some tips on casting...i took it out for the first time and when the l

ijust bought my first baitcasting reel and im looking for some tips on casting...i took it out for the first time and when the lure hit the water all the line would unravel how do you stop that?...thanks

Once you depress the button on the back of your reel your line free spools. Meaning nothing will stop it from spinning. You have to control the spool with your thumb. When you cast, lay you thumb lightly on the spool. Not enough to stop it but to control how much line goes out. When your lure hits the water you MUST stop the spool at the same time. Another thing is you have to adjust the clutch on the side of your reel as well. if it is set for casting a light lure and you put a heaver lure on your spool will turn faster than you line can come off making a birds nest. You should be able to read in your owners manual how to adjust your clutch nob.

Comment

turn the real one time and that will lock your spool into place so no line comes out.

Comment

Rabbit police 88, very well put, it's something that is hard to teach and harder to explain but you did a very good job of it.

Comment

Go to this web site- it is the best tutorial out there:

http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/education/baitcaster-setup-101.html

Then go and watch this video to learn the best way to clear a back lash:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

Comment

I agree, rabbitpolice88 did a great job with his explanation. One thing I'd like to add is that I adjust the clutch so that if I'm holding the rod out in front of me and press the button the weight of the lure should just be enough to pull line out at a slow rate. I've found that if it drops like it would if I just dropped the lure it is too loose and I get a nest. I think lighter lures are more difficult to cast with a bait caster.

Comment

haha yeah its a bit of a tricky business at first... like sharkfin said, if you are using really light lures or fishing in high wind, grab a spinning rod and save yourself some trouble.

Comment

It is maddening! Getting used to "stopping" the spool w/ my thumb when the lure hits the water is the toughest part for me. I can tell that I won't be casting many light lures w/mine.

Comment

Agreed with rabbitpolice88 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad