Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do with the meat when you take a deer elk or moose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with the meat when you take a deer elk or moose?

What do you do with the meat when you take a deer elk or moose?

I have a rather large family so we eat all I can kill. I donate one deer a year to an elderly gentleman that has asked me for venison in the past. He loves venison and is unable to hunt any longer. This year many families lost everything in Hurricane Ike so I gave alot of meat to local families that were displaced. I did not take an elk trip this year because I am saving for a moose trip. I regret it now because I would have been able to help more people with a larger animal.

Comment

me and my mom,dad, and brother snd sister all love the meat so we make chile, patties, ect...

Comment

This may sound strange, but I "eat it"!

Comment

chill,stew and jerky

Comment

Besides eating it I share with friends and family.

Comment

Hang it 5-7 days. Cut it up. Make hamburger, jerky and steaks. My wife and I are always fighting about whose jerky is better.

Comment

If we have too much meat, we share with the Amish, but for us hang it then make jerky,steak, and other meats.

Comment

We have a great processor in my town that we take it to. A little local buisness that is owned by some friends of mine! They do anything you want.

Comment

My family bought a meat processor a couple years ago, my wife and I learned how to process the animals, and in past years it has become a family afair. My sister, who was somewhat anti hunting and her husband came over and helped, along with my best friend and his wife. Processing the meat has brought us closer together as a family, and changed my sisters heart about hunting.

Comment

Next deer I take I'm going to use more of the meat that would be going to burger and make lots of jerky. I made it long ago in my kitchen oven using 'Liquid Smoke', and I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but it was great.

Comment

I just "cube the best and grind the rest" You can make any dish and do almost anything with ground or cubed deer.

Comment

pumakitchen, That's a great idea. When anti-hunters begin to look at meat as the same stuff they buy at the grocery store it can help them realize that it's just food. They may never be hunters themselves, but if it keeps them from being anti-hunters then it's a success.

Comment

Kill it, clean it, cook the tender loin, freeze the rest.

Comment

Most of it goes in the freezer, but I keep some out fresh and it hits the grill or the smoker.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad