Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I teach my bird dog to avoid rattlers and other snakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I teach my bird dog to avoid rattlers and other snakes.

How can I teach my bird dog to avoid rattlers and other snakes.

I dont think you can, but if dog are like humans and they are they'll learn the first time the get bit, i hope.

Comment

you really can't that's something they learn on their own. I've had hounds get bit by cotton mouths and othere poisonous snakes and they lived. Dogs seem to have a high tolerence to snake venom.

Comment

there is nothing you can do.

Comment

Actually, if you live in rattler or other snake country, many experienced dog trainers provide classes for dogs that specifically train them to stay away from snakes. They work very well. I used to live in the deserty outskirts of San Diego, where rattlers are almost a daily experience. I trained my dog, and he's still bite free today. I would recommend doing this for all dogs regardless, it's worth it.

Comment

You can look up Rattlesnake Avoidance Training and hopefully it will help

Comment

I don't think there is really a way to train them to avoid rattlers. It is sort of an occupational hazard. While I have not had a dog bitten in the field in years of hunting I have had three bitten by rattlers that crawled into the dogs kennels.

Comment

You might not be aware but dogs can be vaccinated for rattlesnake bites. This vaccine may not be available in all states so ask you vet.

Comment

I don't think you can and that's just my opinion Del!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad