Keeping a "Hunting Journal".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping a "Hunting Journal".

It just crossed my mind that we seem to have picked up some younger "members".
    All you young readers, I'd like to urge you to start keeping a hunting/fishing/outdoor activities "Journal".
    You don't have to write "War and Peace" every time you go hunting.
    Just a short narrative or maybe just some of the facts of the day.
    Temperature, weather, time, game seen.
    I've begun adding photos to mine.
    I didn't start keeping my "Journal" until I was in my 50's.
    I missed TONS of memories and days afield with my dad, grandad and friends.
    Some memories remain. Alot have been forgotten. Lost forever.
    It may not seem important now, but twenty years down the road, it will be priceless.
    Attached Files

I recently read about a small group of well-to-do hunters who made and paid for reservations at an exclusive hunting lodge, but never showed up. They secretly went to Las Vegas for the week, and they kept in touch with their wives back home via cell phone.
    I'd like to read some of their journals.

Comment

I've never kept a journal but in ways I wish I did. Some of those big fish I caught I almost forget where I got them at. Usually cause someone shows me where to go then I forget where it is. Most of the time I get a pic printed out then on the back of the pic I put my description and where I catch it at now.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        I recently read about a small group of well-to-do hunters who made and paid for reservations at an exclusive hunting lodge, but never showed up. They secretly went to Las Vegas for the week, and they kept in touch with their wives back home via cell phone.
        I'd like to read some of their journals.
        Maybe entries in the mailman's journals for the week they were gone might be equally as "interesting."

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
          I've never kept a journal but in ways I wish I did. Some of those big fish I caught I almost forget where I got them at. Usually cause someone shows me where to go then I forget where it is. Most of the time I get a pic printed out then on the back of the pic I put my description and where I catch it at now.
          A "journal" doesn't have to be a notebook or binder.
          Just some way to record memories and events to help recall them at a later date.
          Until I go back and read my own journals do I realize just how many little fine details had slipped my mind.

Comment

I remembered y’all talking about this on here previously and I started keeping one this past season. I was able to remember most of my experiences from high school till today but even just in that short amount of time I’m sure some things were forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
              I remembered y’all talking about this on here previously and I started keeping one this past season. I was able to remember most of my experiences from high school till today but even just in that short amount of time I’m sure some things were forgotten.
              Great outlaw!
              Yeah, I've forgotten alot too.
              If I had only thought about it as a kid.....!

Comment

The boy's been pretty good with his, and I keep reinforcing the idea as well. I know I should keep one myself, but for the past two years, and for at least the next four or five it's all about the kids so as long as they write it down I'm sort of covered. I'll have to ask him someday if I can read it, think I'd enjoy the stories more from his perspective anyway.

Speaking of which, I haven't heard a thing from Natalie. Offer still stands, and turkey season will be here soon

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  The boy's been pretty good with his, and I keep reinforcing the idea as well. I know I should keep one myself, but for the past two years, and for at least the next four or five it's all about the kids so as long as they write it down I'm sort of covered. I'll have to ask him someday if I can read it, think I'd enjoy the stories more from his perspective anyway.

Speaking of which, I haven't heard a thing from Natalie. Offer still stands, and turkey season will be here soon
                  Yeah, you should.

Comment

Keeping a journal, and not necessarily of just outdoor activities, is an excellent idea. I am amazed at how much I forget, even from one year to the next. It's an excellent reference to what happened and when.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad