City Girl to Deer and Elk Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Girl to Deer and Elk Country

I need your advise about the Deer Whistle, because I drive a car the only place to mount them is on the License Plate Platform, so my question is
    1st -Do they work?
    2nd -It says to space them far apart,is the center Ok?
    3rd -Should I put them both above the License Plate ?
    4th -What about using only 1 ?

Thank You, Rhonda
    [email protected]

Those stick on things that work with wind blowing through them are a joke. The get full of bugs, dirt, snow, etc. and don't work. My brother's boss is a fire insurance inspector in Montana/Wyoming/Idaho and does a ton of travelling in elk/deer country. He swears by the electronic deer alarm. Get one of those.

Comment

Use the edit function at the top to get rid of your email address NOW. Don't put that kind of personal info up on a forum. Too many weirdos out there. Worse are the jerks that sell your address to spammers. Ugh!

Comment

Years ago the local Sheriffs Department were running them on their patrol cars, I asked a Deputy if they worked. He said not at all on deer, but they seemed to attract cats as they were hitting a bunch since they started using them.

Comment

No, they don't. I had them on my vehicle and still remember that deer I hit, and killed, in central Oregon in 1987. One headlight ended up hanging loose on its wires like a popped out eyeball (but it still worked). A sad, and creepy, experience.

Comment

Get a rental car with insurance.
            At least the vehicle they destroy won't be yours!

BTW! I've hit five deer! None of them by choice!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              Years ago the local Sheriffs Department were running them on their patrol cars, I asked a Deputy if they worked. He said not at all on deer, but they seemed to attract cats as they were hitting a bunch since they started using them.
              Cheap alternative to the triple S method for controlling the feral cat population?

Comment

I'm not an expert but have lived among deer most of my life. I quickly observed that when they decide to bolt for the other side of a road, nothing will deter them. They are keenly aware of oncoming cars. It is my opinion that they sorely misjudge the speed of approaching cars or they lose their footing on concrete or even gravel roads and miss their burst across roads. I don't think a whistle would make the slightest difference although I usually blow my horn all the way as soon as I see one approaching the road or standing alongside it.

My evasive action is to slow down when lots of deer are in the ditches. If I see one bursting for a cross in front of me, I blow the horn (I doubt if that makes any difference but do it anyway) and hit the brakes as hard as I can to try keeping the car within the closing speed that they seem to be anticipating. As I approach, I lay down across the front seat while holding the steering wheel in place until I see them fly over the hood of my car. If I don't see them, I pop up as quickly as I can once past them. They will come through the windshield and kill you if you are going fast.

I've had several fly in front of my windshield but have only hit two. One was on a four lane suburban expressway at rush hour with four lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic moving 70 mph. I saw the big buck flying for the road from my left. I was in the furthest lane from him but couldn't reduce my speed because cars behind me would have rear ended me if I hit the brakes. I could hear, horns, squealing brakes and cars crashing into each other as the deer approached the highway and have no doubt he was well aware of where every car was. He jumped the first car, and made it in front of the next two as he crossed the first three lanes at about 45 mph. I was laying down in the seat as he passed over my hood and took out the right front light and fender after flying over my hood. I couldn't slow down because of the traffic but am certain that had I been able to reduce my speed I would not have hit him. He knew full well where I was, he just wasn't familiar with such a fast closure speed.

The second was more of a deer hitting me. I was parked at a traffic light near my city residential home. Six deer came bounding down a fence line to my left intending to cross the four lane highway. Five of them stopped before crossing but one bolted full speed for the other side. He apparently had decided to jump my car to get there. As his hoofs hit the concrete, he apparently lost his footing and panicked. He slammed on his brakes, attempting to stop and slid across the highway and slammed head first into the driver's door of my parked car. It knocked him unconscious and he laid beside my car for a few seconds before he woke up and returned to his buddies.

I hope these stories give you a sense of their behavior. When they want to go, they GO. Don't swerve and lose control of your car but reduce speed as much as possible and don't let them hit you in the face as they come through your windshield. Most people make it a lifetime without hitting one but the faster you travel, the more you hit.

Comment

I have hit several deer and one time I did have the whistles on the bumper and hit one. BTW, there is a left and right whistle by some manufacturers. I got mine at AutoZone.
                  The thing is how would you ever know if they worked ? The only time you know they don't work for sure is when you hit a deer.
                  The deer sometimes go under the car and that happened to me with a full size Buick going 70mph. That was a thrill but I managed to keep control. One was being chased during the rut and ran into the right fender and.door. The third jumped off a bank on a small 2 lane road and landed right in front of the right side.
                  I have seen deer stand on the side of the road deciding what to do. I was at a relatives house in the suburbs the other day and a doe with 2 fawns took them to the curb lawn and stood there looking left and right for a break in traffic. When it came, they casually walked across the 3 lane road.
                  In N.Y. the Trooper that responded to my collision had just finished up 2 car bear collisions - not good to hit a big bear.
                  Moose and Elk are big enough to be deadly, especially with a small car that can go under one.
                  In Indiana on I-90 signs light up when deer approach the road. Time to slow down. The worst State is WVA and then PA, MI and I think Texas is in there.
                  What CAN you do to reduce your risk -
                  When the rut is going on, usually first part of Nov, most deer are hit. Bucks are chasing does all day and night. Conservation Officers get incident numbers from Insurance Companies so they can pin point when the rut is going on.
                  Other days, the dawn and dusk still applies so if you do travel, slow down and watch both sides. If I see one deer I flash lights and sound horn and then watch for others standing on the side. Where there is one, there is probably others.
                  A friend has had a deer come through the windshield and end up in the back seat. Also, another had a car coming toward him, hit a deer and it came across and hit him - both air bags went off and his van was totaled.
                  P.S. If you do hit a deer and it is not dead be very careful they are very dangerous.
                  Hope some of this experience helps. Jim

Comment

I have hit several deer and one time I did have the whistles on the bumper and hit one. BTW, there is a left and right whistle by some manufacturers. I got mine at AutoZone.
                    The thing is how would you ever know if they worked ? The only time you know they don't work for sure is when you hit a deer.
                    The deer sometimes go under the car and that happened to me with a full size Buick going 70mph. That was a thrill but I managed to keep control. One was being chased during the rut and ran into the right fender and.door. The third jumped off a bank on a small 2 lane road and landed right in front of the right side.
                    I have seen deer stand on the side of the road deciding what to do. I was at a relatives house in the suburbs the other day and a doe with 2 fawns took them to the curb lawn and stood there looking left and right for a break in traffic. When it came, they casually walked across the 3 lane road.
                    In N.Y. the Trooper that responded to my collision had just finished up 2 car bear collisions - not good to hit a big bear.
                    Moose and Elk are big enough to be deadly, especially with a small car that can go under one.
                    In Indiana on I-90 signs light up when deer approach the road. Time to slow down. The worst State is WVA and then PA, MI and I think Texas is in there.
                    What CAN you do to reduce your risk -
                    When the rut is going on, usually first part of Nov, driving at dusk and dawn is very dangerous. Bucks are chasing does all day and night.
                    Other days, the dawn and dusk still applies so if you do travel, slow down and watch both sides. If I see one deer I flash lights and sound horn and then watch for others standing on the side. Where there is one, there is probably others.
                    A friend has had a deer come through the windshield and end up in the back seat. Also, another had a car coming toward him, hit a deer and it came across and hit him - both air bags went off and his van was totaled.
                    P.S. If you do hit a deer and it is not dead be very careful they are very dangerous.
                    Hope some of this experience helps. Jim

Comment

On Mythbusters. Deer Whistles & Deer Horns Do not work at ALL!

If they did WORK NJ would have them on every Car/Truck in that State!!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                        Get a rental car with insurance.
                        At least the vehicle they destroy won't be yours!

BTW! I've hit five deer! None of them by choice!
                        Bubba, Rental Car. I had a rental Ford Taurus and was crossing Mosquito Pass in Colorado on a Jeep trail following a small group of Jeeps. One area was real rough with big rocks, etc. Straight up on one side and straight down on the other and just wide enough for the wheels. I got out to look at the area and the Jeeps were waiting up ahead and watching what I was going to do. I yelled what do you think and they all shook their head no. I yelled Rental Car and they all said bring it on. That car never missed a beat. Actually going down the other side into Leadville was actually trickier but we made it o.k. Stopped at the Silver Dollar Saloon and had a couple quick shots to calm down.

Comment

I've never hit a deer, elk, or moose, despite living here four decades.
                          Slow down!!!!!!
                          After dark or when it is just getting dark, drive 50, or less. Better even is do your driving in the day.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Turkey Hunting Newbie
                            by MattM37
                            The only new thing I can add to what the other guys said is, After you pattern and find your most effective load, choke, and range, make sure you can...
                            Today, 01:32 PM
                          • Turkey Hunting Newbie
                            by Big5ully9
                            I am looking to do some Rio Grande turkey hunting this spring at Black Kettle WMA in Oklahoma. I have a Remington 870 Express that I want to use. What...
                            Yesterday, 04:14 PM
                          • Reply to 40 year old rookie
                            by Danbo
                            I started hunting when I got married the wife’s family got me started
                            Today, 01:19 PM
                          • 40 year old rookie
                            by Coach79
                            Anyone else out there get into hunting later in life? I started in September of 2019 at age 40, and shot my first deer last week with a crossbow. So....
                            Yesterday, 09:12 AM
                          • Reply to Get Off Social Media
                            by Danbo
                            Foreign governments have always spent money to influence elections not just Russia ! 99 do you fish?
                            Today, 01:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X