Winter cometh !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter cometh !

How do you fellows keep your homes warm ? Natural gas, propane, electric, wood, coal, oil, or by use of corn or wood pellet burners ?

I have AC/HV System Hot Air for winter, with a propane fire Place as back-up NO wood to cut & store. We only get 3 to 4 weeks of real cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
      I have AC/HV System Hot Air for winter, with a propane fire Place as back-up NO wood to cut & store. We only get 3 to 4 weeks of real cold weather.
      Sounds nice and snuggy ! The best part is no wood to cut, been there, did that. That is a young man’s thing !

Comment

I prefer wood.
        Vibrating chainsaws, splitting mall handles and old arthritic hands and now I burn propane.
        A "face cord" of wood runs nearly $300.
        Propane is cheaper! ...but the house isn't as warm!

Comment

I live close to civilization, so I use electric heating and air conditioning, controlled by a wall mounted thermostat. I have a back-up generator on standby.

Comment

wood stove

Comment

Geothermal heat pump (that powers a forced air system). I can heat my house, in this very cold climate, for $350.00 per year. It's wicked cool. I burn wood when it gets below zero. I think the wood is cheaper than the electricity at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                Geothermal heat pump (that powers a forced air system). I can heat my house, in this very cold climate, for $350.00 per year. It's wicked cool. I burn wood when it gets below zero. I think the wood is cheaper than the electricity at that point.
                I have been very interested in that issue. Where does one go to learn more about how to become more acquainted with this matter ?

Comment

Originally posted by Srbyam View Post
                  wood stove
                  Cut your own wood, or pay someone to supply it to you ? Used to love my fireplace, but it was a big heat waster ! How do you circulate the heat throughout the home ?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    I prefer wood.
                    Vibrating chainsaws, splitting mall handles and old arthritic hands and now I burn propane.
                    I hear you Bubba ! The house always felt warmer and cosier when heated with wood. But age took care of that nostalgic issue, although it was not so bad at the time to do the work, rather enjoyed it then ! BTW, a full cord of dried wood here is about $150 !

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                      I live close to civilization, so I use electric heating and air conditioning, controlled by a wall mounted thermostat. I have a back-up generator on standby.
                      I am sure electric heating is by far the best, no drafts or temp. gaps to contend with. However, in this area it is far too expensive for the average family !

Comment

I have posted this before but it has not appeared so here goes again.
                        I have a Heat Pump (heat and AC) and have propane and kerosene for back up. The generator for back up has about 50 gal of gas in the boat tanks available. Electric has only been off a few times and only for a few hours at a time.
                        Camp is propane and kerosene with generator for electric.

Comment

I have a rannai on demand gas water heater for domestic, a Viesman V 100 gas boiler for hot water wall mount panel radiators and a ducted fugitsu ac/heat pump which although tasted down to 15 below is probably only efficient to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                            There is probably a geothermal contractor in your area and lots of info on the internet. It's a big investment up front. We did it because we had a drinking water well come up dry and figured since we were now out half the cost anyway, we might as well make lemonade, so to speak. In NY there were huge tax credits and there were a bunch federally, too. That may not be true anymore. It took us 3 or 4 years to use up all the tax credits. If you happen to have a powerful natural spring on your property, you can do it for a lot less money.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              I prefer wood.
                              I guess it makes sense that wood would be pretty valuable out on the prairie. Full cord is 180-220 here, depending on time of year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Get Off Social Media
                                by Danbo
                                99 I didn’t understand your response!
                                Today, 07:54 PM
                              • Get Off Social Media
                                by jhjimbo
                                A talking head on MSMBC said people should "get off social media" . Now why would she feel people should get off social media ? I suspect...
                                Today, 04:10 PM
                                by 99explorer
                                Danbo - Fine with me. Investigate away.
                                Just leave out the announcement of the investigation.
                                Today, 07:41 PM
                                by Danbo
                                99 your not being totally truthful! The Vice President at the time threatened to put aid on hold unless Ukraine fired the prosecutor who was investigating...
                                Today, 07:33 PM
                              • Reply to Recommended Choke & Shot for Turkey
                                by Danbo
                                3 inch nitro turkey #6 Shot 12 gauge through undertaker extra full extended choke . Took several ny birds with that combo
                                Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X