Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are dogs used for upland bird hunting considered gun dogs while Beagles and other non-birddogs are not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are dogs used for upland bird hunting considered gun dogs while Beagles and other non-birddogs are not?

Why are dogs used for upland bird hunting considered gun dogs while Beagles and other non-birddogs are not?

yea why is that?? Cuz i hunt behind beagles and they are good dogs, so why don't they get the recognition they should?

Comment

Bird dogs point and are shot over. Lots of dogs are gunshy and won't stand for that. Hence the term gun dog.

Comment

cause i think that upland bird huntng is more pop than rabbits but i love rabbit hunting.

Comment

Dels got a good point, beagles are actually hounds which is a great group to be in also just most people forget that they fall in there.

Comment

to Del
            My beagle chases rabbits which is basically the same as pointing birds and I have shot over her and she is nowhere near gunshy. Once I shot a squirrel out of a tree rabbit hunting and the squirrel actually fell and hit my beagle that is the only time she has shown she was shocked.

Comment

Del got it right, pointers and retreivers have to point and hold until the hunter can get in position to make the shot, if the dog doesn't hold then he will flush birds before the shooter gets into gun range. Beagles are miniature hounds which are trained and bred to chase game and trail up game that is either cold trails or wounded (blood trail) they don't "work" like bird dogs, which often work off of both audible and hand signals.

So to answer you question I would say bird dogs are called "Gun Dogs" because they have to work so closely to the hunter and are shot over often. While either one that is gunshy will not make a great hunting dog either way.

I've had to completly case my gun and put it in the truck to go catch gun shy dogs.

Comment

I have never heard beagles excluded from the term gun dogs. Beagles are hounds and don't belong in the same classification as bird dogs, even though I have owned beagles that would point!

Comment

Beagles are small dogs and can easily be lost at the time of hunting and also don't point. While gun dogs are more apt to not minding gun shots and such and will usually point when the upland bird is present.

Comment

Agreed with Del in Kansas answer above and A + 1 for you my friend!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad