No announcement yet.

What is a fair fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fights don't need to be fair, it's a frickin fight. Maybe in a sport like boxing a fair fight is one thing; but in the real world that's not how it works. You do whatever you have to do to win, and sometimes to survive. I don't care if they're facing away from me, or if I have a big stick and they don't, or if I outweigh them by 50lbs. Especially if you break into my house. I don't care if you only have a knife. I'll use a shotgun, a base ball bat and that big rock by the front door if I have to, no one in my house is going to be threatened or hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
      You can't blame the grandfather for feeling that the homeowner over-reacted. In his eyes, his grandson was just a mischievous child who fell in with a bad crowd and tried to get something for nothing. He didn't deserve to die.
      True, if the grandson had been captured, his punishment would not have been the death penalty for attempted burglary. But he unwittingly placed the homeowner in a position of having to defend his own life. Tough break for all concerned.
      Things change when I weapon is involved though. If someone breaks in unarmed trying to rob the house it would be a completely different situation than a group coming in with weapons that could cause serious damage or death. And I think just about anyone would react the same way that man did, in fear for his life.

Comment

I have been shot at as an unarmed civilian and can honestly say, that do to the pricks poor shooting at a moving target 150 yards is the only reason I didn't wear two 12 ga. slugs as a coat that day. In hindsight, with ALOT of meditation on the event, I am honestly glad I was not armed. The entire day and probably the rest of my life would have been lived out differently had I been able to return fire. That said, I firmly believe, when confronted by a presumed deadly situation, you are much better to be in a position to defend yourself and be judged than lay down and die or risk the lives of innocents. I don't blame the young man who shot and killed in a potential kill or be killed situation. Anyone who does has a lot of reflecting to do on their position of being a sheep or a sheep dog. If I happen to be in the truly unfortunate situation that I need to take a life to save my family I will certainly do so and hope that I can cope with the dark thoughts that will follow such an event well...

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
          I think it's horse$hit.

Let's try a couple of logical tests:
          Was this agreed upon mutual combat? i.e two people agreeing to settle their differences physically? No. It was 3 on 1
          Did he invite these people in to fight? No, they broke in.
          What was he supposed to do "shoot to wound" them? More BS. You never point a gun at someone or something you don't intend to kill or destroy.

You think Gramps would be singing a different tune if those 3 had beaten that young guy to death or even seriously maimed? He's full of $hit and he knows it, because he says he believes that people have a right to defend their home, and then says that it's not fair on how they do it? What a complete and utter load of manure.

The driver changed her tune a bit once she talked to a lawyer as well. Seems like all of a sudden these folks did know there could be consequences from breaking into houses ready to do harm to people, but somehow they didn't know that would mean people would defend themselves with deadly force.

The grandfather should be ashamed of himself and STFU, the driver should get life in prison, all of the mainstream media should get their heads slapped for not knowing the difference between Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground. The young man should at least be compensated in some way for these criminals breaking into his house, and Last but not least. Joe Biden should get a daily reminder and laughing at for this everyday for the rest of his life with sardonic questions about using an AR-15 for home defense.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.
          Castle Doctrine is old common law. The origin of the phrase "A man's home is his castle." It defines your home as a place in which that person has protections and immunities permitting one, in certain circumstances, to use force (up to and including deadly force) to defend oneself against an intruder, free from legal prosecution for the consequences of the force used. What that means is, you have a much much lower burden of proving justifiable homicide should you have to kill someone to protect yourself or your family.

There's different clauses but it boils down to: someone trying to forcibly break into your house, you didn't provoke them, and you had reasonable fear for your life, or in some states your property. When that happens the law will often protect you from civil liability as well.

Comment

You can't blame the grandfather for feeling that the homeowner over-reacted. In his eyes, his grandson was just a mischievous child who fell in with a bad crowd and tried to get something for nothing. He didn't deserve to die.
            True, if the grandson had been captured, his punishment would not have been the death penalty for attempted burglary. But he unwittingly placed the homeowner in a position of having to defend his own life. Tough break for all concerned.
            "Tough break for all concerned" ! That is certainly true for the innocent homeowner, however I can not feel it is so for the punk. He made his own choice in his actions, the homeowner was forced into his actions, and there is a hell of a lot of difference in that regards. The punk wont be doing it any more, but the innocent person will have to suffer the rememberance for some time, that is his "tough break".

Comment

I can certainly understand why the grandfather might feel that way, but that doesn't make his interpretation valid in any way. If anything, his vision is clouded by personal involvement, making his opinions hold less objective value. This may be the most heartless thing I've written so far, but the cold hard fact is that his unwillingness to see the situation for what it really is is not anyone else's problem. Certainly not the poor guy who had to defend himself, and definitely not the justice systems. Ultimately, he's in no position to lecture anyone about this. The homeowner now has to live with the events, perhaps it's not too much to ask that gramps live with the fact that his grandson was a bad man.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad