What is a fair fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a fair fight?

The claim (made by the grandfather of one of the (deceased) burglars in the Mar. 27th Broken Arrow home invasion) that 3 thugs arms with brass knuckles and a knife up against 1 homeowner with an AR-15 isn't a fair fight, got me pondering; what constitutes a fair fight? Or is there such a thing as a fair fight? Imho, the homeowner responded appropriately for the situation he was in.
    The way I see it, fighting fair is responding to an attack with sufficient force to protect me and mine from harm and if sufficient force means deadly then so be it.
    What are your thoughts on the matter?

I remember an old movie where Tab Hunter has to fight a one-armed man, and to make for a fair fight, he puts one arm behind his back.
    I don't think that mindset is appropriate for repelling a home invasion.

Comment

I think it's horse$hit.

Let's try a couple of logical tests:
      Was this agreed upon mutual combat? i.e two people agreeing to settle their differences physically? No. It was 3 on 1
      Did he invite these people in to fight? No, they broke in.
      What was he supposed to do "shoot to wound" them? More BS. You never point a gun at someone or something you don't intend to kill or destroy.

You think Gramps would be singing a different tune if those 3 had beaten that young guy to death or even seriously maimed? He's full of $hit and he knows it, because he says he believes that people have a right to defend their home, and then says that it's not fair on how they do it? What a complete and utter load of manure.

The driver changed her tune a bit once she talked to a lawyer as well. Seems like all of a sudden these folks did know there could be consequences from breaking into houses ready to do harm to people, but somehow they didn't know that would mean people would defend themselves with deadly force.

The grandfather should be ashamed of himself and STFU, the driver should get life in prison, all of the mainstream media should get their heads slapped for not knowing the difference between Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground. The young man should at least be compensated in some way for these criminals breaking into his house, and Last but not least. Joe Biden should get a daily reminder and laughing at for this everyday for the rest of his life with sardonic questions about using an AR-15 for home defense.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

Comment

Tough break for the thugs....

Comment

Now a days it's Kill or be killed, That's the mine set thugs learn in prison from other thugs! It's not like the 1950s Cowboy movies, NO such thing as a Fair Fight now a day's...........

Comment

The good guy won.

He didn't ask for the contest.

Breaking laws......uh, "fair" does not compute.

Gramps is upset. Doesn't give him a pass on saying stupid stuff.
            He needs to shut up and just grieve.

Need more thieves and thugs blasted. Might convince some to seek a different career path. Proly not (look at gangs in Chicago).

Hard to be a repeat offender when dead.

Comment

if someone breaks into my house to protect myself I'm not going to care if it's a fair fight or not

Comment

That's three bad guys off the street. That really helps improve neighborhoods. The terrible lawless society that is forming in many cities is created by very few thugs. Taking them out of the society really helps modern civilization.

Comment

Sadly, the three intruders were ages 18, 17 and 16.
                  I think it's sad that young people that age died in such a senseless manner.
                  As for "fair"?
                  As I understand it, when the "occupant" confronted the three, the oldest one started a verbal exchange with him. I believe the "threatening nature" of the exchange is what led to the shooting.
                  Break into my home and threaten me and "fair" is, "I win!"!
                  If me winning means you die? Sobeit!
                  If I'm not mistaken, the "get-away" driver is facing "life without parole" and 3 "first degree murder" charges.
                  The break-in was their second.
                  The thefts were used to generate HER rent money. Their first theft got them liquor and speakers.
                  The second robbery proved not to be so "profitable"!

Comment

An AR-15 holds 30 rounds, so a fair fight would be thirty burglars with brass knuckles and knives, against a shooter with an AR-15.
                    Just don't miss any. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                      I think it's horse$hit.

Let's try a couple of logical tests:
                      Was this agreed upon mutual combat? i.e two people agreeing to settle their differences physically? No. It was 3 on 1
                      Did he invite these people in to fight? No, they broke in.
                      What was he supposed to do "shoot to wound" them? More BS. You never point a gun at someone or something you don't intend to kill or destroy.

You think Gramps would be singing a different tune if those 3 had beaten that young guy to death or even seriously maimed? He's full of $hit and he knows it, because he says he believes that people have a right to defend their home, and then says that it's not fair on how they do it? What a complete and utter load of manure.

The driver changed her tune a bit once she talked to a lawyer as well. Seems like all of a sudden these folks did know there could be consequences from breaking into houses ready to do harm to people, but somehow they didn't know that would mean people would defend themselves with deadly force.

The grandfather should be ashamed of himself and STFU, the driver should get life in prison, all of the mainstream media should get their heads slapped for not knowing the difference between Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground. The young man should at least be compensated in some way for these criminals breaking into his house, and Last but not least. Joe Biden should get a daily reminder and laughing at for this everyday for the rest of his life with sardonic questions about using an AR-15 for home defense.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.
                      What's the difference between Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground ?

Comment

I saw the Grandfather on Facebook, too bad, he looked like a decorated veteran.
                        Within a 10 mile radius of me in the last week there have been 4 house invasions that I have heard about. Thing is, 2 of them people were home. The bad guys got away but the news reports of these invasions give others the idea to try it.
                        The dead bad guys will help clean the gene pool.

Comment

Break in my home and threaten me. I will kill you. I do not post any warning signs.

Comment

No such thing as a fair fight. The point is to win! By any means! I'm not asking a lot question if you break into my house. All I know is that my wife and I were in fear for our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              Break in my home and threaten me. I will kill you. I do not post any warning signs.
                              Someone breaks into my home they will be ambushed. Screw the fair fight and the boxing referee.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad