Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Raging Bull in 454 casull that I reload a shoot 45 LC through. Can I use 454 cases and 45 LC loads safely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Raging Bull in 454 casull that I reload a shoot 45 LC through. Can I use 454 cases and 45 LC loads safely?

I have been studying the reloading data and there is a big jump in the min amount of powder that can be used from max load of 45LC to min load of 454 and I do not understand why.

Only load and shoot what load manuals say you can load.
    There are minimums for safety reasons, adhere to the manuals load data.

Comment

You don't want a lot of air in a case, ignition will not be uniform causing pressure issues. If I understand your question.

Comment

Uh-oh!!! Springerman3 is going to come and get me for saying this: It can be done, quite easily and safely in fact.

Trimming the 454 brass to 45 Colt length is probably your best route, but there are no trim loads (IIR)

LOL that is why the site is slow fellas. SM3 done called the fuzz on me, since they know I use Chrome and AdBlock, they made it hard on me. Everyone else is just collateral damage. ( ???)

Comment

jimbo +1) Safety,Safety is the word! Loading Manuals are a guide to safe reloading others have tested before put in to print. It called Air Gap or Compressible there will always be a small amount of Air Gap in every cartridge the lesser the better.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            You don't want a lot of air in a case, ignition will not be uniform causing pressure issues. If I understand your question.
            +1)

Comment

David, I agree with the others that you need to be very careful with such a large case capacity. I suggest using .45 Colt cases and just load them hot. For example, my favorite hunting load for the .45 Colt uses Winchester 296 powder but that powder comes with warnings that light loads could result in excessive pressures.
              Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Springeredman3 here: I'm posting thru #7shot's account cause we're best buds now. We talked it out and boy is my face red. But don't worry, I'll come back in about a week after the thread has cooled down and say something else stupid so everyone can laugh. When I get called out on it I'll just divert to messing with Bubba about some turkey pattern.
                Got to go but before I do, just remember to be extra safe, don't follow anyone's loads. Not even published reloaders, you don't know how they came up with those loads, it's better to just blindly trust factory ammo. And if you don't watch every last spec of powder fall into the case, you're a criminal worse than Hitler that will blow up yourself and everyone around you for trying to save a few bucks and experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                  Uh-oh!!! Springerman3 is going to come and get me for saying this: It can be done, quite easily and safely in fact.

Trimming the 454 brass to 45 Colt length is probably your best route, but there are no trim loads (IIR)

LOL that is why the site is slow fellas. SM3 done called the fuzz on me, since they know I use Chrome and AdBlock, they made it hard on me. Everyone else is just collateral damage. ( ???)
                  Don't? assume you're going to get a .45 Colt case just by trimming a 454 case. The 454 case probably is thicker and thus could run higher pressure.
                  Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

PH, .454 case is a thicker sturdier brass. Still safe to trim them if you do it "the correct" way. Check out the links my man. The loads you'll get are kind of light compared to what you'd normally get, but for that round, that might be a relief for some folks.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      +1) jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        This is the answer..

Comment

I don't understand why you want to destroy .454 cases to shoot .45Colt equivalent load/ballistics ? Why don't you just get some .45Colt cases ?
                          Remember, all factory ballistics work up are done in a lab with special actions and barrels that can withstand humongous amounts of pressure safely. I doubt your firearm can withstand the same if you happen to mix the wrong cocktail. I would not be experimenting in this area of internal/external ballistics.
                          Good luck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad