Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I see today the IT boys have finally also succeeded in circumventing my ad blocker over on the Outdoor Life site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH if you're still looking into this, it's definitely an intermittent issue that comes from a mix of Chrome and AdBlock on the site.

Disabling AdBlock in Chrome should get you able to view the comments and the "Log in" or "My Account" link, but you're rolling the dice when it comes to whether or not ads will pop up. They don't always in Chrome with AdBlock off, but sometimes they do.

The site runs faster in Firefox, 3 different pc's, 4 different browsers, 2 mobile browsers, and what I can say is that there are many reasons I like Chrome more than Firefox, this is one reason I like Firefox more than Chrome.

You might try switching. Firefox will import everything from Chrome for you, and you can get AdBlock quickly and easily; and you might enjoy Firefox's "Article View" when reading the blogs. I'll probably go complain to AdBlock.

I haven't been in a rush to Alert Jared, because you know how would it go?
    "Hey Buddy, the software I use to block your major revenue source from mildly bugging me isn't playing nice with the site. Think you could fix it so I can gripe uninterrupted some more? What...dodge trucks? Someone would have to pay me to drive a new Ram or Jeep, and it would have to have the diesel in it. Yeah well, I was probably never going to go to any of those places in those banner ads anyway. You still want to come out to Crow Island and do a waterfowl hunt? We're cool right?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
      OH if you're still looking into this, it's definitely an intermittent issue that comes from a mix of Chrome and AdBlock on the site.

Disabling AdBlock in Chrome should get you able to view the comments and the "Log in" or "My Account" link, but you're rolling the dice when it comes to whether or not ads will pop up. They don't always in Chrome with AdBlock off, but sometimes they do.

The site runs faster in Firefox, 3 different pc's, 4 different browsers, 2 mobile browsers, and what I can say is that there are many reasons I like Chrome more than Firefox, this is one reason I like Firefox more than Chrome.

You might try switching. Firefox will import everything from Chrome for you, and you can get AdBlock quickly and easily; and you might enjoy Firefox's "Article View" when reading the blogs. I'll probably go complain to AdBlock.

"Hey Buddy, the software I use to block your major revenue source from mildly bugging me isn't playing nice with the site. Think you could fix it so I can gripe uninterrupted some more? What...dodge trucks? Someone would have to pay me to drive a new Ram or Jeep, and it would have to have the diesel in it. Yeah well, I was probably never going to go to any of those places in those banner ads anyway. You still want to come out to Crow Island and do a waterfowl hunt? We're cool right?"
      I tried all day to get on and the site got hung up trying to log in ... if the log in button even showed up! It never showed up on OL site.

I will try Firefox. Thanks. That was some effort on your part to keep a pain in your arse on board. :-)

I can understand ads for revenue but forty-five running at once? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that's going to overload things. I didn't want to go to ad blocker but it got to the point where I had little choice. The site kept crashing my computer. With the ads running now it can take up to five minutes to change pages in this site. Who wants to wait for that? Not good business but no one at corporate or IT seems to be able to wrap their head around it. Frustrating. Thanks again.

Comment

No worries. In a lot of respects they're similar. Firefox won't be so hard on your pc's memory if you leave your browser open for long periods of time. I did have to login a few times before the stay logged in thing worked, but seems to be running well now. Plus you might like the Pocket feature. It's a different way to save articles you like.

Comment

Hey All,

Couple of things. The Login button did not work for me in Chrome until I clicked off the AdBlock on the F&S homepage. I've been trying to add answers and make comments to no avail for a while.

Once logged in, with AdBlock back on, I'm not seeing ads or pop ups anymore. However, the "my account" element was also not showing up. Meaning I couldn't post even though I was logged in. The site still seems a bit slow, and still has some issues to work thru, but is much better than it was.
          exactly. Didn't see your post when I made that other Answer PHW, but that's pretty much how I feel about it. I'm not going to rush to Jared because realistically a major part of the sites funding comes from the ads. It's a fine line per individual I guess as to what is acceptable for ads and what is too much. If you have an older PC or a PC that's not optimized for graphics and browsing I can see where that would be a problem.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad