Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Your Help on Tires for my 2012 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab, It eats up Tires every 22,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
    I just bought 4 Michelin tires for my Chevy 2500 4x4. I got 50,000 miles out of the old tires and they still looked good. I am headed to ak for 6 months with my 2500+lbs truck camper aboard. My old tires would have been good till july maybe??? I made two runs to Ak on the old tires in that 50,000 miles. I run the highway at 72-73mph. I've had bad luck looking at good looking tread in NY, and flat tires in Canada's Yukon on the North Canol. Just saying, the Michelins gave good service, 265-70-18E
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
      Michellen tires have been the best tire on My F150's. I know sticker shock will be a factor. I have enjoyed the 120-150 thousand miles on a set of tires.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Proverbs View Post
        You need a light truck tire if you regulary tow a 6K trailer. Your current tire is a very light-duty passenger rated tire (hence the P in the size). Get a tire that starts with LT and you'll be happier (and safer when towing). Passenger tires on pickups are for people who use them like a car (that's probably most people nowdays). All pickup makers put P-metric tires on half-tons because they are cheaper and they get slightly better EPA results under test conditions (thus higher MPGs on the sales sticker).

Here is a link that explains in detail what I've just written.
        https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=70
        Good answer. +1

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
          Michellen tires have been the best tire on My F150's. I know sticker shock will be a factor. I have enjoyed the 120-150 thousand miles on a set of tires.
          Wow, you are getting excellent mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            Tree, what tire pressure are you running? My BFG/AT's are load range D, max pressure is 65psi. Running them at 35psi like a car tire will give a better ride but will wear the tires out faster. I run mine at 50 and bump them up when hauling the camper.
            Teach, some vehicles can have different size from factory, you have to go by the pressure on the tire. My Jeep GC for example has a tire size that is not on the vehicle door jam specs.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
              I think you need to slow down. According to Fox News, 75mph is about the breaking point for most truck tires.
              All tires have a speed rating if not on the tire it will be in the Company specs. for each model tire. Most people who are on original equipment tires on the expressway traveling 80+ mph are exceeding the tire max speed spec.. Remember the Ford Explorer tire problems, over loaded and under pressure and they blew out ? High performance and high speed vehicles like police cars have high speed ratings 110mph+.

Comment

Tree, one last thing came to mind on tires. I don't know how you drive but if you are 'busy' on the steering wheel, you are inducing wear to your tires. A worn part/s in front end could require constant steering corrections. Every time you turn the wheel you wear the tires a little, the longer you can keep the steering wheel fixed, the less the wear on the tire. If you hit a bump and that arm movement transmits into a turn of the wheel, that wears a tire. Driving a semi-truck, it was important to keep the steer tires very steady or you would whip the trailer and eventually loose control and jack-knife. Of course going around corners, especially too fast, is the biggest wear on the tires. Jim

Comment

Get yourself a set of Michelin LT rated tires in the tread design of your choice and you will be way happier down the road. The aggressive off road tread designs don't last due to tread block flexing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad