Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Your Help on Tires for my 2012 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab, It eats up Tires every 22,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Your Help on Tires for my 2012 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab, It eats up Tires every 22,000

It had two sets of BFG/AT (P275/65R/18) in 44,000 miles. The Ford House finds No Problems with the front end, they rotate & balance them every 5K or 6K, I drive off road & Hi-way @ 75mph and tow my cargo trailer weight (6K) from Gun show to show then home.
    Need a 40,000 mile tire. What Brand do Y'all Recommend around $200.00 +/- Per Tire.

I think you need to slow down. According to Fox News, 75mph is about the breaking point for most truck tires.

Comment

slow down, keep the pressure at recommended or slightly higher. buy a better tire with a better heat tolerance. I use Michelin Cross Terrain 255x60-17 on my Jeep and they are good for about 45 to 50,000. They are about $250 each.
      I never rotate tires on any of my vehicles.

Comment

Tree, what tire pressure are you running? My BFG/AT's are load range D, max pressure is 65psi. Running them at 35psi like a car tire will give a better ride but will wear the tires out faster. I run mine at 50 and bump them up when hauling the camper.

Comment

Do you have a Discount Tire in your area? I have been running Goodyear Wranglers from Discount Tire since I wore out the factory equipment tires on my F-250. I get 55-60 K, at least, and free rotation and balance whenever necessary. I run mine at the recommended pressure on the rear, and 5 lbs. under max on the front. I also drive highway and off road, but don't pull a trailer too much.
          Used to run BFGs, but, like you, did not get satisfactory mileage from them.
          Don't know what the cost per tire for a F-150 would be, but it is more than $200.00 for the F-250. However, I think based on tire life, off road performance, and handling, they are worth it. Also, no road sing at speed with the Wranglers.

Comment

Sounds like wrong tire for the application. Would agree you need a heavy load range and better heat rating. I would look at Bridgestone. Had a set on my 14 GMC and loved them. And forget AT tread for that kind of driving. You a Traction A Tempature A tire and sounds like a little higher load rating. The commercial line of Bridgestone would serve you well. Tires are one of those things you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              Tree, what tire pressure are you running? My BFG/AT's are load range D, max pressure is 65psi. Running them at 35psi like a car tire will give a better ride but will wear the tires out faster. I run mine at 50 and bump them up when hauling the camper.
              My tire pressure is set at 42psi all around. BFG specks. and so is my low tire pres. dash guage.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                I think you need to slow down. According to Fox News, 75mph is about the breaking point for most truck tires.
                99.I drive the Posted Interstate Limit 70+5, weir others are doing 80/85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  slow down, keep the pressure at recommended or slightly higher. buy a better tire with a better heat tolerance. I use Michelin Cross Terrain 255x60-17 on my Jeep and they are good for about 45 to 50,000. They are about $250 each.
                  I never rotate tires on any of my vehicles.
                  Thanks jimbo but out of my price range $289.00 per. I think it my tire size P275/65R/18.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                    Do you have a Discount Tire in your area? I have been running Goodyear Wranglers from Discount Tire since I wore out the factory equipment tires on my F-250. I get 55-60 K, at least, and free rotation and balance whenever necessary. I run mine at the recommended pressure on the rear, and 5 lbs. under max on the front. I also drive highway and off road, but don't pull a trailer too much.
                    Used to run BFGs, but, like you, did not get satisfactory mileage from them.
                    Don't know what the cost per tire for a F-150 would be, but it is more than $200.00 for the F-250. However, I think based on tire life, off road performance, and handling, they are worth it. Also, no road sing at speed with the Wranglers.
                    Yes on Discount Tires, thanks I'll check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                      Sounds like wrong tire for the application. Would agree you need a heavy load range and better heat rating. I would look at Bridgestone. Had a set on my 14 GMC and loved them. And forget AT tread for that kind of driving. You a Traction A Tempature A tire and sounds like a little higher load rating. The commercial line of Bridgestone would serve you well. Tires are one of those things you get what you pay for.
                      I hear that! thanks I'll check in to it.

Comment

Just looked on tirerack.com. And my suspicions were confirmed Bridgestone and Michellen Are probably what you want. 180-220. What's 80 bucks more if you double your mileage. I used work on semis and do front end and suspension work and 3 axle alignments. Guess what tires always performed best. Michellen and Bridgestone. Michellen made the best steer tires longest lasting. Bridgestone made the best drive tire by far. And the cases always lasted the longest. It sounds as if heat is your problem. And always run a tire a little on the high side never the low. Low pressure causes heat to build. I know Goodyear supposedly makes a good tire I have a set on my truck now and they suck. Feel like they have a square edge on them until they get hot. No matter where I set the pressure at. My next ones will be Bridgestone. Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                          Just looked on tirerack.com. And my suspicions were confirmed Bridgestone and Michellen Are probably what you want. 180-220. What's 80 bucks more if you double your mileage. I used work on semis and do front end and suspension work and 3 axle alignments. Guess what tires always performed best. Michellen and Bridgestone. Michellen made the best steer tires longest lasting. Bridgestone made the best drive tire by far. And the cases always lasted the longest. It sounds as if heat is your problem. And always run a tire a little on the high side never the low. Low pressure causes heat to build. I know Goodyear supposedly makes a good tire I have a set on my truck now and they suck. Feel like they have a square edge on them until they get hot. No matter where I set the pressure at. My next ones will be Bridgestone. Hope it helps.
                          Thanks Dawg!

Comment

Bought exactly ONE (1980 Chevy Bonanza 3/4 ton) 4×4 pick up!
                            Got me into more jams than it got me out of!
                            Real hemorrhoid!
                            Factory 9.50/16.5 tires!
                            Biggest draw back was not being able to buy just one tire!
                            Nobody carried 16.5" tires and they were high dollar IF you could find them!
                            It was a tough old bird!
                            Spicer "lock out" hubs w/gear drive x-fer case!
                            Went back to plain Jane 4×2.
                            Been "stuck" a lot less and I can get just one tire if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                              Heat is the enemy of tires. It builds up and works into the rim affecting the brake and on into the bearing. My father was in the trucking business and they always chose to run at night when the pavement cooled a little. Of course in those days they carried in their trailer what trucks today weigh with their load. Sometimes they would leave with a 120 or 130,000 gross on 11.24X24.5 tires at 110psi. I know, I used to fix the tires and change them and air them up.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad