Bighorn sheep out and about.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bighorn sheep out and about.

Hello Friends. Spring fever roadtrip had me near Yellowstone Park yesterday. Saw elk. mule deer, Canada geese, bison, and these bighorn sheep. "Just" missed seeing 2 wolves trailing some elk. Spring is in the air
    Enjoy the foto...
    Attached Files

Nice Pictures! Seems like quite the trip!

Comment

Beautiful creatures, too bad it is so hard to draw a tag, and so expensive to pursue them. Still, bighorn sheep are beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
        Beautiful creatures, too bad it is so hard to draw a tag, and so expensive to pursue them. Still, bighorn sheep are beautiful.
        +1 for the expensive part! I would love to hunt them as well, but I've heard of guys paying a quarter of a million dollars and being unsuccessful.

Comment

Isn't it fantastic that we had people with enough foresight to enable us in these years to be able to enjoy such beautiful land and animals. It is great that we have the ability to be hunters, but it is also wonderful that animals have a place of their own also. Animals are just as needed to look at and see in the wilds in safe places, there are enough areas for us to hunt them ! It is not all about killing, and it is good to know that hunters sense this too !

Comment

Buck, no sarcasm intended, do you believe that's a realistic number? That's a someday hunt for me that if your numbers run true I ought to stop dreaming about... I'd never looked into the reality of it though.

Comment

Thanks, way to expensive for me!

Comment

PHW, sounds realistic, I think I have heard of trips costing more than that. I am sure you can get some significantly cheaper, but if not, there are other, more affordable spots to pursue them. Hope you go someday!

Comment

PHW, Sorry to say, but yeah. That number is definitely on the high end but not at all unrealistic, especially if you're unsuccessful multiple times. I looked into when I had dreams of doing the full North American Super Slam. I'm not going to give up though! Big Horn are still doable, but Dall and Stone Sheep are $20K-$40K no matter how you cut it. I looked into budget big horn. If you're unguided the hunt will cost you about the same as an elk hunt but the tags will be still be more expensive. I think the cheapest I found was Nevada at $1200 for just the tags. You should probably figure that on the low end another $6K to $10K for a guided hunt and worst case scenario you're at more than double Nevada tags with $3200 from some of the neighboring states. All the while you have to be putting in for points for drawing of tags. Don't give up! Look into Alaska and Canada hunts! Canadians will charge you more for tags, but they're too dumb to realize their currency isn't worth as much as ours!

Comment

If you are really considering a ram hunt, I would suggest you contact Tyrell with F&S, he has been successful on many ram hunts and could fill you in on all the details and particulars that you need to know. I am sure you can find him in blogs along with several of his stories. Good luck.

Comment

Richard, I am not familiar with that contributor. Do you by chance, mean Tyler Freel from Outdoor Life? If not, he also has experience with Alaska sheep hunts and has useful information. Also, he has some videos on the Outdoor Life YouTube channel.

Comment

Wyomings "trophy" species which includes the Big horn requires an non resident to be guided on certain types of land. I've got friends on the Pitchfork in Meeteetse and others in Cody,WY that I'll have to get ahold of. It's calving season and Dan is fairly indisposed until their seasons over. I did notice that a ram license should you be blessed enough to draw is about 2,300 bucks. I feel tougher than tripe (it's all relative I suppose) right now and more stubborn that a quarrelsome women but give me the 10-20 years that it may take to draw(if ever) and I'll probably be withered up and scared of an anthill.

Comment

I'm sure if you want to do it, and you put your mind to it, you can think of a way to make it happen. It helps to have friends in the area. I used to have friends on the Res out in Wyoming and Montana. Lost touch haven't been out there in more than 10 yrs.

Comment

Henry, I am sorry, I did give you incorrect information concerning Tyler. I do not know why I said F&S, must have had a brain fart. Glad you figured it out !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad