Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best material for building a brushpile/structure in a farm pound? I'm leaning toward wood pallets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best material for building a brushpile/structure in a farm pound? I'm leaning toward wood pallets.

What is the best material for building a brushpile/structure in a farm pound? I'm leaning toward wood pallets.

I've had good luck attracting fish with willow trees but they don't last. If a pile of oak pallets could be sunk that would probably last for years.

Comment

Try Pine trees with a few holes cut in the branches.

Comment

I agree with Alex, Pine trees have proven very productive for me and now, depending on temperatures where you are, is a great time to just sit them on the ice and wait for it to melt and them to drop.

Comment

Collect christmas trees from your neighbors. Anchor them with some cinder blocks. The cinder blocks will also provide structure.

Comment

Packing pallets work but are the devil to anchor down. You just about have to stake them down in my expericnce. Cedar trees as well as most other evergreens will work quite well. As Charley sais cinder blocks work well as anchors. Be careful of fresh cut willow, it will root and begin to grow!

Sections of used sewer pipe also work well. County road departments can be a source of this material.

Comment

Willow trees or the pallets.

Comment

My father in law is a superintendent for a construction company. I have access to all the scraps of PVC pipe. Never rot and there are virtually snag proof. In the past I always used Xmas trees.

Comment

If you have access to an old swing set, tie pine branches all over it. Drag it on the ice and let it drop as it thaws. The swing set will stand up much higher than pallets or trees and allows there to be open spots within the structure for fish to hang out in.

Comment

Put old christmas trees in a bucket of cement and remember where they are and then fish around them later in the season

Comment

If you live in and area where there are osage orange trees, aka hedgeapple trees, use their branches. The braches grow fairly dense and the wood of the tree is super rot-resistant especially in water. If possible biuld a brushpile on the lake when it is frozen over and leave it there to sink when the ice thaws. If you live where ice doesn't get thick enough for that, just toss the branches from the bank into the same area or drop them from a boat. Your brushpile will last a very long time and shouldn't need much adding to over the years.

Comment

Del you can see my answer on the Tip board in message section. I figured heck I might win a buck knife with this tip, and it works great to. A little wood a few screws and wala, a anti snag fish attractor.

Comment

I have done it 2 ways, the first is pine trees they work really well, the other is to build a structure using pvc pipe and buckets with concrete in the bucket to hold it in place, There are a lot of different versions out there and lots of people have great ideas on these.

A little research goes a long way before you put in the time and effort to setup a structure.

The easiest is the pine tree setup.

Comment

I have to go with Christmas trees, you can pick up a million of them after the holidays.

Comment

wood pallets work good and last a long time. Christmas trees, real and artificial work good as well, about 2-4 wired tied and weighted at the bottom are easy to use. Just please take off all the icicles and fake snow first.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad