Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shed Hunting: Do larger antlered bucks drop their antlers first or do smaller bucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shed Hunting: Do larger antlered bucks drop their antlers first or do smaller bucks.

Shed Hunting: Do larger antlered bucks drop their antlers first or do smaller bucks.

From what I have seen they seem to for the most part. I think the weight of the horn, and the need for a longer growth period plays into this. I have seen several nice bucks still packing racks late in the year, so it is not true across the board, but in percentages I believe it holds true. With elk I have seen spikes still packing their horns while branch antler bulls in the same herd already have several inch long velvet nubs growing and starting to fork.

Comment

The healthier the deer, the longer it keeps its gear.(Hey, that rhymes) Anyway it has nothing to do with antler size, just the bucks health.

Comment

Each individual deers hormone level determines when it will drop it's antlers. Size does not matter.

Comment

Antler shedding depends on a number of factors, including the size of the antlers. There's not much available for hunters to gauge when and where they will drop them accurately, but the studies dictate that they will be near bedding area and in brush. Typically the smaller guys and the biggers guys drop them at the same time though because the season is so short. Two to three weeks to drop a set of antlers is the typical time frame for the majority.

Comment

The overall health of the buck dictates how long he will carry antlers. Typically there would be no difference between the well endowed and the sub compacts give good body condition.

Comment

I agree with the Beekeeper. I'm gong to go shed hunting this weekend

Comment

I have been watching bucks and shed hunting for about 30 years (Upstate New York), having collected about 400 sheds. I haven't observed any difference between the size of the rack and the time dropped. I have seen bucks drop their racks as early as the 2nd week in December and as late as the 3rd week in March.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad