Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you guys (and girls) like to get to your tree stand in the morning? I am in a toss up because I like to try and sneak i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you guys (and girls) like to get to your tree stand in the morning? I am in a toss up because I like to try and sneak i

When do you guys (and girls) like to get to your tree stand in the morning? I am in a toss up because I like to try and sneak in early before daylight, but then if I jump a deer Im screwed because its not shooting light...so I have been hunting into my stand at opening light...what are your thoughts?

Ill get there one half hour before dawn so the woods has time to settle. Ill sit out until about 11 and then I will still hunt back to the car.

Comment

I always sit before light,like meagel said, giving the area some time to rest. I try to approach my stand in the correct wind and don't take any shortcuts so that if I jump something, it usually can't tell exactly what I am and will not fully spook.

Comment

An hour before shooting hours if I can peel myself out of bed. At that time, if you jump a deer, it will circle backaround if you are quiet enough. I look at it as playing the odds. If I was jumping something every time, then I might adjust. But not for something that rarely happens.

Comment

I gennerally try to be settled in the stand 30 minutes before sunup. However, see that picture of me holding that decent 9 point. I got in the tree at 8:00 that morning. Shot this deer at 9:50.

Comment

Depends...bow season I go in just as it is getting light so I don't need a flashlight and can see where I am going so I don't make a ton of noise. Gun season I am on stand 30-60 minutes before daybreak cuz everyone and there mother are in the woods and I try to beat most of them in so they can scare deer to me and not the other way around. I think it depends on the hunting pressure.

Comment

I try to get their at least 2-hours before sunrise,any time closer to sunrise the Monster may be too close for me to enter the stand.

Comment

About a half hour before sun up for me. I've never shot a jumped deer with a bow... it could happen but it is a real rare occurance. I usually get there earlier with a rifle so I can be quiet and allow deer spooked by other hunters to come toward me.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys..and I was referring to rifle hunting too just to make that clear. Seems like everyone is leaning towards well before daylight which is what I usually do but I had some doubt about it due to jumping deer early in the morning and not having them come back to the area. thanks again

Comment

About 1hr to half hour before day light, pack "lunch" and snacks and stay ALL day.
                    Never can tell when the "big Boys" will show up.

Comment

I try to get in at least a 1/2 hour before light. Doesn't always happen though. I've found between 9 and 11 a.m. to be very productive, so if i'm not able to be there at the crack of dawn, i still try to sneak in and hunt a few hours.

Comment

If I'm hunting in noisy woods I go in early. If it's in fairly open area such as a pasture I go in at first light. I have shot 2 bucks on my way to my stand doing that.

Comment

My favorite time to hunt is mornings and am in thestand at least an hour before light. You can jump deer anytimeyou walk in the woods, lower light helps, even deer see better in the daylight than darkness. I have crept to the stand and just walked and found that just walking tends to work better for me. I found during my daylight walks that if I just walk and not sneak as long as i do not walk straight at a deer they tend to hold there ground and just let me pass by depends how close of course, just trying to stay hidden. If they think I see them they will run. I like to let the woods calm as I sit and wait.

Comment

I like to be in my stand well before sun up. I like to have about an hour for things to settle down.

Comment

Early in the season, it's usually close to an hour before first light. As the season goes on, and I get lazy, it's 1/2 hour. Wish I was more of an early riser, I'd like to get there as early as 2Poppa!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad