Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My grandpa say that there is a hog that has gotten loose and has turned feral in southern IL. What should i use to find and shoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My grandpa say that there is a hog that has gotten loose and has turned feral in southern IL. What should i use to find and shoo

My grandpa say that there is a hog that has gotten loose and has turned feral in southern IL. What should i use to find and shoot this hog?

What do you have to hunt with ?
    shotgun-At least a 20ga. with a slug.
    Rifle- At least a .25 cal(.30 would be better).
    Find out where he's eating/breeding.Then you'll find the hog.
    Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

watch when u shoot it tho sometimes it will bounce off i have heard of a .40 cal bounceing off. Go to bass pro and buy a bag of deer corn and some hog wild. will cost less than $20 all together. find where there is sign ex. wallows rooting things of that nature. dig a shallow hole. pour some of the corn and hog wild. (you might want to get more than just one bag of each) then fill the hole in. pour some more of both around the area making piles here and there. eventually the hog will find it and become accustomed to the area. then u ambush it. good luck and good hunting

Comment

whatever you have should be fine ive heard of them being taken down with .22 mags but i would go with something larger than that like what Big O and bomberpride suggested

Comment

id say go look where its really wet like around a river and any gun larger than a .22 would probably do the trick with a well placed shot

Comment

jagerbomb's or PBR. Man I crack myself up, but I do have a horribly funny story to support this claim. Wasn't me, but I witnessed it firsthand.

Comment

I killed one 250lb. feral sow with a 22 lr. shot right under the ear at 30 yards but I much prefer my .270 with which I've killed dozens up to 300 pounds (on private property where they're considered vermin). BigO and bomberpride have excellent answers.

Comment

If you are crazy... a knife and a dog. If you are a little more civil and a little more concerned for your personal well-being... a shotgun with a slug or a rifle, not smaller than .243 caliber.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad