Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to do a european mount. I don't want to do the boiling because I don't think my stomach or my neighbours could handle the smell. I have heard a few alternatives that I have never tried but sound like they may be worth a try. Reviews also say n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Here's the moose euro completed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200714_222337.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	739449

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS View Post
    Finally done
    Ian, finished product looks good mi amigo!
    You never said. What state are you in?

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Finally done
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    2 bison
    3 goats
    2 pigs

Finished 1 goat today.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Finishing up a mission impossible moose euro today. The guy stripped most of the meat off the skull and then threw it on top of a shed ... two years ago this fall! What a mess. All tissue is dried up to leather. Pulling the hair strips left around the antlers was not fun. Finally resorted to vice grips and peeled it loose that way. I bought a metal trash can, sealed up the handle pivots with hi-temp silicone, and cut notches so the skull would drop low enough that the lid could be replaced. Left the skull to soak for a week then put it on the propane burner and boiled it for at least an hour. Front half from antlers down to nose has cleaned up fairly well. Today I'll tackle the back half of skull and finish cleaning off some of the gristle around eye sockets. This has been an awful project and we were reluctant to take it on but client was willing to pay the extra bucks for us to give it a go. It's not a fantastic rack but an unusual one with some stray points hooked backwards. Not sure we can bleach the skull enough to cover up grease stains. May have to paint this one. We'll see. And yes, it was quite the smelly job but not anything the neighbours next door noticed. Pouring the goo down the toilet in the house was a real gagger. One tooth fell out during the boiling when I was scrubbing the skull with steel brush. Foolishly, I should have pulled the skull away from the pot. Tooth fell to the bottom. It cracked during the boiling and we lost part of it (disintigrated?). Chalk it up to learning curve. When the tooth is replaced and skull attached to plaque, the missing cap won't be noticeable.

Use plastic ties to pull the nose septum back together for gluing. We use super glue. Let it set overnight before removing the ties. You may need to clean/brush up excess with steel wool as the glue is quite shiny. Glue gun works well for putting the horns back on. Super glue is too thin and leaves too many gaps. Hard to get it to hold. The African taxidermist used window glazing putty to reattach most of my skulls' horns. Kinda messy though.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Today I scrubbed them with an SOS pad and dishwasher soap. All the hairs came off. So now I need to glue up the cracks, varnish and glue on the horns and I’ll be done
    Hair does not grow on bone. If there was still hair anywhere, it was because of tissue that was left remaining on the skull and was not completely removed ! If all tissue is removed, you should now be good to go ! Good luck !

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    What are we looking at?
    2 bison skulls
    Are the three small skulls goats?
    The two medium sized skulls, are they pig skulls?

They're looking good.

BTW! What state are you in?

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Today I scrubbed them with an SOS pad and dishwasher soap. All the hairs came off. So now I need to glue up the cracks, varnish and glue on the horns and I’ll be done

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    I put the skulls out in the sun and sprayed them with peroxide. It is definitely helping to whiten them up and I won’t have to do any other soaking. Has anyone ever had any hairs stuck to the skull after cleaning. I’m hoping that scrubbing with soapy water and a stiff brush will get rid of them. Perhaps something rough like that Resolve powder again or pumice hand cleaner? Click image for larger version

Name:	43754569-C548-4D46-84AD-E390A05E1535.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	5.26 MB
ID:	737941
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    There is no more flesh on the skulls and they no longer stink after using the Resolve in water. I started this almost 2 years ago so thinking they may be too deeply stained to get them nice and white. If so I’m ok with the more “leathery” look. Now I have them soaking in plain water just trying to get the dead bugs out of the crevices. Especially the bison heads, every time I blow them out and think I got all the dead bugs out I soak them again and more float to the top and when I blow out with air hose they swarm out like flies. May take a while but hopefully soon!
    Far out and groovy dude! Keep us updated.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    There is no more flesh on the skulls and they no longer stink after using the Resolve in water. I started this almost 2 years ago so thinking they may be too deeply stained to get them nice and white. If so I’m ok with the more “leathery” look. Now I have them soaking in plain water just trying to get the dead bugs out of the crevices. Especially the bison heads, every time I blow them out and think I got all the dead bugs out I soak them again and more float to the top and when I blow out with air hose they swarm out like flies. May take a while but hopefully soon!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    Honk, the "Buck Bucket" maintains a temperature that is hot enough to "cook" the skull, but not hot enough to cause the skull to fall apart or teeth to fall out.
    You cook yours in a retired "canner", I'll use a "Buck Bucket".
    A can is a can. As long as the water is simmering just below boiling the teeth should not fall out. I will cook the skulls sometimes a half hour or more at that temp and haven't lost a tooth yet. Sometimes the crack in septum opens after skull dries but easily glued back together with superglue and plastic tie cinched around nose to hold together till glue sets.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Honk, the "Buck Bucket" maintains a temperature that is hot enough to "cook" the skull, but not hot enough to cause the skull to fall apart or teeth to fall out.
    You cook yours in a retired "canner", I'll use a "Buck Bucket".

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Sounds good Ian! Good to hear you got them all done.
    Did you check the brain cavity for left over material?
    My biggest problem was getting all the cartilage out of the ears and nasal cavities.
    If you don't mind, post some pictures so we can see what you've done.
    Use a small screwdriver to pry the ear canal structures loose. Best to get rid of all that as it's smelly and the opening provides better access to the brain cavity. I use a piece of very heavy steel wire about eleven inches long with a one inch loop on the end to pull out the brain when carcass is still fresh. Put the wire in variable speed drill, insert through spinal canal and on SLOW speed the brain is sucked out almost intact. A real mess at high speed! The wire and drill can also be used for fishing out nasal cartilage but be CAREFUL as sidewalls in some places inside the nose are very thin and easily damaged.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
    by PigHunter
    I've got 4455 primers total. Of those, 1274 are large rifle, 683 are small rifle. Besides that, I've got cases already primed and ready to load: 200 for...
    Today, 12:07 AM
  • Hey Folks
    by jhjimbo
    Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
    06-21-2021, 11:12 AM
  • Reply to 2020 Election - what is broken ?
    by 99explorer
    Were Poll Watchers ‘Thrown Out’ of Vote Counting Rooms?

In the wake of the 2020 presidential election, the Trump campaign spread this rumor...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • 2020 Election - what is broken ?
    by jhjimbo
    As far as I know, the rigged part of the ballots was the Presidential ticket, down ballot I don't believe were tampered with....
    Yesterday, 10:17 PM
  • Reply to Hey Folks
    by PigHunter
    I've been using factory loaded Hornady 143gr ELD-X and it's been good for deer and pigs. Accuracy at the range is under 1 MOA. But am down to 38 rounds....
    Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X