Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to do a european mount. I don't want to do the boiling because I don't think my stomach or my neighbours could handle the smell. I have heard a few alternatives that I have never tried but sound like they may be worth a try. Reviews also say n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IanS
    replied
    Just don’t want them To start stinking

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I don't have any idea, Ian.
    Try the two methods on two different skulls. See what happens!

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    If I was to just wash the skulls really good with soapy water and leave the stains would they turn rancid? I’ve always either immersed in peroxide or sprayed with peroxide but I really like the current look and would like to keep them that way.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    That’s why I do it at my buddies acreage in the bush. The smell is awful if you get close to it but by the time you have to get close to them it’s not too bad at all. Not pleasant but tolerable. Now that I’ve removed the bulk of the flesh I don’t expect they will be bad at all next time I check them.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS View Post
    I actually really like the unbleached look like they are now.
    I like the colors too, it's the stench of the method you use that bothers me.
    ....and I may be wrong about the odors or the smell just may not bother you.
    Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    I actually really like the unbleached look like they are now.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I must say, you are persistent!
    I would have gone to a boiler system a long time ago!
    ...but looking good!

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    This was after 3 weeks of maggots. Today I hosed them off and and peeled off as much meat as I could. The cow and the coyotes were in there a lot longer.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Hey guys. Long time no talk! I have a few more skulls I’m cleaning.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Worked a job 6a-6p/6p-6a. In Jan and June, we rotated shifts.
    Every other weekend was 3 days off. Fri-Sat-Sun.
    Drawback?
    When I rotated to 6p-6a, it was always Jan in the depths of winter. So I went from "It's cold!" to, "OMG! IT'S FREEZING!"
    In June, I rotated to days and went from 70 and 80 degree nights to +/- 100°F out in the broiling sun!

I tried one time to get them to rotate every 4 months. No dice.

When they finally set up the 6a-6p, 6p-6a shift rotation, another plant opted for 12p-12a, 12a-12p!
    One of the plant supervisors asked me what I thought about the 12-12 shifts, I spoke up.
    "Whoever that poor soul is on midnight to noon is going to be useless about the time the sun comes up. It's human nature."
    They went to the 12-12 anyway.
    When it came time to rotate back, the crew at that plant voted to stay "as-is".
    The two 12p-12a guys were quite happy.
    One of the 12a-12p guys was the plant supervisors "YES!" man. The other had a young son.
    Poor guy stayed on 12a-12p for 3 years until finally throwing a wall eyed fit and threatened to quit!

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    I love night shift work. Waking up at 430 to work at 6 is what exhausts me. The adjustment from nights back to days can be a tough one too. It usually includes a Netflix day.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    While in the military, I worked 6 days, 2 days off. 6 afternoon, 2 days off. 6 midnites, 3 days off. Hated the afternoon shift but got used to it !
    Bhr,
    I worked 7a-3p on Sat, off 24 hours (1 day). Worked 3p-11p Sun-Mon, off 24 hours (1 day). Worked 11p-7a Wed-Thu off 48 hours (2 days off? Just barely!)
    When ever I woke up, I didn't look at the clock, I checked the calendar. LOL!

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    While in the military, I worked 6 days, 2 days off. 6 afternoon, 2 days off. 6 midnites, 3 days off. Hated the afternoon shift but got used to it !

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS View Post
    Same to you! Shift work destroys any chances of normal sleep patterns
    Did that crap for probably 35 of my 40 working years. Hated on night one. Hated it the last night! LOL!
    Worked with a gent who used to say, "Lot'sa folks seen more days than I have. Not many have seen as many nights as I have!"
    I worked a swing shift for nearly 2 years. Worked 5 days a week, had 4 days off.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Same to you! Shift work destroys any chances of normal sleep patterns

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Abortion Up To States
    by 99explorer
    When an appeals court reviews a case, it looks at past rulings on the subject for a precedent, as the question of law may already have been decided....
    Today, 11:11 AM
  • Abortion Up To States
    by jhjimbo
    Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
    Yesterday, 12:22 PM
  • Reply to TGIF; Party Time
    by PigHunter
    Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
    Too sexy for your party
    No way I'm disco dancing...
    Today, 10:21 AM
  • TGIF; Party Time
    by fitch270
    Almost, Friday evening actually but looking for a play list, lol.

Getting it rolling with The Cars.

06-22-2022, 10:06 AM
  • Reply to You guys are sleeping
    by 99explorer
    I think what you are saying is that our elected officials would disarm the public to prevent an armed insurrection.
    Not for reasons of public safety,...
    Today, 10:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X